Rolling Stones Mono Box (Vinyl) or 1964-1969 ABKCO Box?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Richie, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Price aside, just looking for recommendations on which of these boxes is more highly regarded?

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They’re both very good. If I had to choose between the two, I’d go for the mono box. You can always buy the stereo pressings of Beggers and LIB separately, which uses the same parts as the pressings in the ABKCO box.

3. Vinyl Richie

Anyone else?

4. I love my ABKCO box set

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Stones Mono

6. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Well that clears it up!

CBackley likes this.
  7. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Logically what Tommyboy said is right and an optimal way. But ABKCO box is such a cool item to handle, if only for octagonal Through The Past and IMO better Decca label reproductions, even if not accurate to originals.

8. Vinyl Richie

Hahaha. Pretty much.

9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The ABKCO box has all the UK albums, the original 2 UK EP's, plus Big Hits vol. 1+2 and Metamorphosis.
    Unfortunately, it also has a bit of surface-noise on every vinyl, though it cannot be heard when the music plays.
    The biggest issue is on Big Hits, as both As Tears Go By and Get Off Of My Cloud has very nasty digital glitches. On Cloud, it's several bars of music. No B-sides or US tracks are represented on this collection either.

The Mono box are a much nicher alternative, since it has ALL studio tracks released during the sixties, though it has a couple of questionable choices, since 19th Nervous Breakdown is an alternative mix and Tell Me is the 'short' US edit. Everything else is in place, though here are both UK and US albums go cover it all, thus making a lot of repetition in tracks.

It should be noted, though, that both sets has some not very nice looking reproductions of several albums, which is a shame. Soundwise, both sets are of great quality, though they are digitally sourced.

I would go for the Mono box.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If I'd had the choice back in 2010 when I bought the 1964-69 box, I'd have bought the mono box and gotten Beggars and LIB separately. The 64-69 box is wonderful, but I much prefer mono for Aftermath, BTB, and TSMR. Hoping they issue the monos separately at some point so I can pick up those three.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Stereo because you're still getting mostly mono for the early albums anyway and you aren't getting two fold downs.

marcb likes this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Both.

The Beave likes this.
  13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This is sort of what I did, by selling the 1964-69 box, then buying the mono box, Beggar's and Let It Bleed separately and I still had money left over.

I also have the MFSL box, and I liked the stereo versions of Aftermath, BTB and TSMR on that one better than the 1964-69 box so that was another reason for me to not keep the 1964-69 box.

Comparing the sound of 1964-69 box to the comparable tracks on the mono box I found them very close, a few tracks a little better, a few tracks not as good, but basically splitting hairs with the differences.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I might do that eventually, but I'm just too lazy to find a buyer and then figure out how to ship the 64-69 box. Probably a smart move though.

dasacco likes this.
  15. MHP

So, knowing how outrageous people can be on this forum, 2 nasty glitches on the 2010 box is not enough evidence to beware people not to buy the whole boxed set anymore? I'm quite surprised, given the fact that several people on this very forum dimissed the whole mono box because 19th Nervous Breakdown was a different mix... :)

The Beave likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

I didn't notice no glitches on the 2010 box. I love it. I want to sleep with it in the bed beside me, that's how much I love it.

17. MHP

Then check side 2 on Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass), tracks "Get Off Of My Cloud" and "As Tears Go By".

18. Daniel Plainview

No thanks. Ignorance is bliss. A fella goes looking for trouble he's bound to find it. :whistle:

19. I agree. I picked up just the UK mono versions separately since I have loads of the American original pressings and slightly fewer original UK pressings. I just love Out of Our Heads and No. 2. I'm not used to hearing the former without "Satisfaction" or "The Last Time". The UK one still is great. I love it!

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I find conflicting reports on the forum as to whether or not Beggar's and LIB were dedicated mono mixes.
    Some maintain that only Sympathy For The Devil had a dedicated mono mix. Others say that Street Fighting Man was also but that's it all.
    So what's the score people?

21. Purple Jim, the LIB and BB are worth picking up in mono and experiencing for yourself. I think that the consensus is that LIB is a fold-down but an excellent fold down that makes it worth picking up. On BB, only "SFTD" is a dedicated mono mix. It's a great mix of that song. The album is worth picking up for that mix alone. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Benjy, KeninDC and All Down The Line like this.
  22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Beave and KeninDC like this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

24. iNteresting, where did you hear/read that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.