Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Checked my 6 preorders as well and they all say 99.99. Glad I locked them in early.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I wonder if the price hike has anything to do with how many were willing to pay $120+ to get the new UHQR release delivered?

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It would be highly unethical for any retailer to raise the price on an already placed order.

Bigbudukks and Slick Willie like this.
  4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Agreed - but as can happen, they could cancel the order. It has happened a few times at Amazon, where you pre-order at a "stupidly" low price, and then they cancel the order based on the fact they realized their mistake.

On the other hand, a company is in business to turn a profit - and if said company sells something at a loss, and it is a big enough loss (individual priced loss times number of units sold at loss), it could put the company at a disadvantage. I'm not saying Music Direct is in this situation, but I'm sure they are not such a big company as to be able to handle major losses and stay in business (my assumption not based on fact).

One thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around at this point in time, is the "fact" that all future One-Step releases will actually be $125.00 instead of $99.99. I'm not fully doubting the contention made in this thread regarding that statement, but it is merely, if memory serves, a statement by someone talking to a Music Direct employee over the phone. None of the future One-Step releases are posted with a way to order on the Music Direct site, so until I actually see the $125.00 on future offerings, I take the statement with a grain of salt. (No offense to Tullman who seemed to report the price increase.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Myke likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, if you ordered before last week it's $99.99, right now it's $125.
    Well...I made an order with Music Direct for the SRV Couldn't Stand the Weather one step title last week. I checked my account and the order was present, but the price was $125. I called to ask why the price was $125. and was told there was a price increase and that all $99.99 preorders before the price increase would be honored.

6. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Thanks for the clarification. I placed the order back in December 2017.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm surprised that they didn't make some sort of announcement giving a warning. It would have been a nice gesture toward those who have been a bit loyal.

Jimijam and Bigbudukks like this.
  8. Slick Willie

True, that would have been nice, but things don't usually work that way.
    Even with the increase in production numbers and price, one should be able to purchase/test drive, and if not satisfied, sell at a price to recoup purchase price/shipping cost/a few dollars to compensate for the trouble. Very few limited edition MoFi OOP print titles lose much value from initial cost.
    Even the poorest performing title in the series (Nightfly), has that potential. They seem to easily go for close to $150 now?

9. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

I suppose if Analogue Productions can release the Jimi Hendrix's UHQR titles at $100, which seems to be a single 33 rpm LP using the Clarity formulation, MoFi can charge $125 for the upcoming titles One Step titles.

10. Myke

Oh yeah, I've read others account of that happening to them, luckily it's never happened to me.
    You may remember a few years back, Best Buy blew it, and we all got the Kevin Gray multi disc Woodstock boxes for $4.00 each !!!! I remember asking the BB rep over the phone if they were really going to honor it, and she laughed, and said " yes, our mistake ! " :winkgrin:

Bigbudukks likes this.
  11. Slick Willie

With shipping, those come in at over $120.

12. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I want them to charge me for S&G already.

13. AnalogJ

Why? It's not like the extra disc incurs a cost for a separate set of packaging, or a separate licensing fee. A single well done, stand alone LP costs $25-35 nowadays. How much is Neil Young's Tonight's The Night Live, or Alternative Moondance at retail, for example?

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ok, I apologize for doubting you. I assume Music Direct knows they can sell these one steps for that price. I know we are "balking" at the price increase now, but will bite when the darn things are finally released- or at least put up for sale. :sigh:

15. AnalogJ

I don't know if I will. I will definitely be more choosy.

16. AnalogJ

It's like if I heard that a ticket to the Broadway show, Kinky Boots, just went up by $50 per ticket. Okay... one more reason not to see it. I can get the AP 45s of the Stevie Ray Vaughan catalog for $55. Now, the One Step is $125 instead of $100. If I'm on the fence already, not being a huge fan, do you think I'm as likely to go for it now?

17. Slick Willie

Yet those titles are not selling this amount of exclusivity. Or a special process, or the extra packaging.
    Things happen.
    Other thoughts:
    The asking price for a sealed regular edition Abraxas is now more than the retail of the one step.
    MD is in business to make profit, they seem to still be working out the number of releases and price that the market can bare?

18. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Glad I had pre orders already in. I am in Canada and when you factor in the exchane rate on our low dollar plus the shipping it is very pricey at even $99 US.

In the future I will be very selective due to the increase.

19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I didn't call them all clowns. I said some "clown." Singular. As for the delay, I don't know the reason. As for the possible price increase, give me a break. Don't tell me that they now need to charge $125. Now, for certain titles, I might understand that the licensing fee may be more. Abbey Road, Ziggy, etc. Even then, they still make a nice profit at $100 x 7500

20. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I’ll pay it for the Dylan only because it is one of his best and would be my first Dylan. But Stevie Ray Vaughn? I don’t get why those titles deserve a deluxe treatment.

teag likes this.
  21. Myke

Esp. with the recent AP / Ryan Smith 2 X 45 reissues that go for $55.00 ea.

22. Slick Willie

:doh:

jonnyeric likes this.
  23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Well, I have the AP box st at 45 rpm, and those records do kick ass. Great sound! Can mofi improve on them? I'm sure they could. Will I buy them? Maybe. Maybe for resale and maybe to hear the difference IF reviews say out of this world.

24. Slick Willie

One has to be cautious, by the time the reviews come out, it could be sold out?

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I remember a time when certain people freaked out that Music Matters raised prices from $30 to $35.

Do the Music Direct discounts apply to pre-orders? It seems that 20% promos are more and more common,
    My recent Acoustic Sounds order was during a 20% weekend, the customer service person I spoke
    with said their busiest times are when they do sales. It feels like the audiophile labels have raised
    "regular" prices so they can offer a promo and sell it for the same price they used to everyday.

OptimisticGoat likes this.