Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue" Song By Song Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

There’s a song or two on here that’s pretty brutal, I agree.

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Dance is among my favourite Stones tracks ever. Somewhere in the mists of time I scored a cassette of this album (probably around 82) and played Dance over and over. I bought Sucking In The Seventies just so I could play If I Was A Dancer just as much.

pablo fanques, Andrew J, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Dance is a great groove...and wait for it....dance track!

I like when the Stones break out and try something different. But under closer inspection the track only expands on their interest in black music, something that has always been a part of their DNA dating all the way back to 1962 covering those R&B/soul and blues numbers. The Stones then moved on and explored some reggae and funk so why not a (little) disco?

Honestly I've never felt the Stones made any "disco" tracks, I've always viewed them as dance/funk groove oriented tunes more than anything you'd find on the SNF soundtrack.

And, of course, no matter what genre the Stones delve into it always has that Stones imprint and this song is no different.

Not an incredibly deep album, it's light and breezy as @Parachute Woman mentioned in her post and I agree 100%. You want serious listening go somewhere else. If you want something that sounds great cranked up to 11 while you're doing housework, give this beast a listen. A far from perfect record (by Stones standards) but still a heck of lot more fun than their contemporaries at the time. That's the amazing thing about the Stones. A "bad" record for them still contains its share of gems.

enro99, The MEZ, Andrew J and 10 others like this.
  4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Thank you! You have solved a long-time mystery for me. Really neat instrument.

5. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

My personal mental picture of "Dance Part 1," is a mental image of the song blasting out of a fictional storefront clothing boutique in New York, or wafting out of an open window by the fire escape in one of those classic New York tenement buildings -- at least that's how I always see it in my mind. It always reminds me of summer, which of course is when the album was originally released. Much more so than Some Girls or Tattoo You, which for some reason I don't associate with the time of year they were released. But "Dance" in particular and Emotional Rescue in general, are mentally very "summery" type albums and song. Maybe it was all that recording at Compass Point in the Bahamas that makes it feel so summery, I don't know.

Has anyone here ever sussed out whether "Dance Pt. One' and "If I Was A Dancer" are the actual SAME TRACK, with different vocals and overdubs on top, or are they from two different separate actual takes of the same riff/song? I've always wondered about that, but never sat down and carefully examined it. Judging from other songs around this same time frame, I'm guessing there's probably a really super long and drawn-out unedited jam version, sitting in the vaults somewhere.

enro99, The MEZ, Muggles and 5 others like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Dance Pt 1 - OK. Just more disco/funk. Sadly, probably one of the better tracks on the album.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I love this album. It was the first "current" Stones album I ever purchased, back in junior high.

Funny thing is that the side 1 went virtually unplayed by me, since the two singles both appear on side 2. It wasn't until I discovered "Let Me Go" on the "Still Life" live album a few years later that I started listening to the first side as often as I did the second.

"Dance" is an interesting album opener, in that it doesn't set the tone for the rest of the album (for me, at least). That said, it's a fun song and I dig the horns.

8. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Dance is a truly great track, rivalled only by Hot Stuff for 'best Stones disco/funk song'.

The rest of the album, however, is an unmitigated disaster.

Andrew J likes this.
  9. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Only the cover art is a disaster, and at this point is sorta quaint... (is better than Dirty Work at least).

ohnothimagen and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. Exile On My Street

Great point!

I don't often read commentary from bands on their own music because it's usually filled with hyperbole and BS but when it comes to the Stones, I do. They are so honest and self-aware as you said.

There is an intelligence there that sets them apart from other bands. It's not that there aren't other intelligent bands out there but the Stones take it up a notch or three. I guess that's one of the keys to their success. They know what's what.

There have been times I've doubted their decisions on certain songs only to find, that in retrospect, the Stones were right 99% of the time. Keith and Mick certainly had the gift and ability of looking forward and seeing things immediately that take many of us and other bands a lot more time.

As an example when I was younger I would lament on the fact that Honky Tonk Women wasn't on Let It Bleed. I *now* view Country Honk as a brilliant move and a track that far more fits into the sequencing on that album.

Some people still disagree but they're wrong.

enro99, Muggles, brew ziggins and 7 others like this.
  11. Exile On My Street

I've never seen you make a positive comment on an album so I take your criticisms with a grain of salt.

I do find your posts to often be witty and entertaining, however. :winkgrin:

YardByrd and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’ve actually come to prefer Country Honk overall.

mdm08033 and Exile On My Street like this.
  13. Just a quick side note, not to distract from the thread, but I'm pretty sure that's the same instrument that mystified me for years on "Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard" by Paul Simon. Very cool and unique sounds! :)

14. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

That is SO UNFAIR :mudscrying:

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Yeah, it did sorta get to a point where Bill really was like their live bass player- in the studio it was anybody's game. Emotional Rescue is another album where Bill is missing from a few songs- if he's not on "Dance", he's not on "Summer Romance" (Ronnie), the title track (Ronnie again, which we'll talk about when the song rolls around, I'm sure) and "All About You" (Keith). Doesn't matter IMO- listen to Bill's playing on "Down In The Hole", turn the bass on yer stereo up, let the windows rattle!
    I can only imagine what Keith made of "If I Was A Dancer", then:laugh:
    I admit I've never heard of the film, sorry.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to call Some Girls angry- certainly not Dirty Work level angry, that's for sure:D I'd say Some Girls is more snarky than angry, lots of sarcastic humour in those lyrics on the album- almost Becker/Fagenish in places.
    Yeah- now I know what that is, Airto Moreia played one of those when he was with Miles Davis (Live Evil, etc)
    "If I Was A Dancer" is why I bought Sucking In The Seventies as well:righton:
    I am about 99.9% sure "Dance" and "If I Was A Dancer" are the same backing track -"Dance" is edited, of course, and has some additional overdubs (mainly percussion), bit of a different mix as well. Again, I prefer "If I Was A Dancer"...if it were actually on the album it'd probably be my favourite song almost by default.
    Good to see ya, John, I know Emotional Rescue isn't one of yer favourite Stones albums.

enro99, Muggles, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  16. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

To me Dance is one of the lesser songs on the album and one of their worst openers. I would have put it at the end of side one or right before the title song. I used to skip it, but I have been playing it lately due to the videos where the two Dance songs are woven together.

To me this is the low point of the album, it only gets better from here.

17. California Couple

And part 3

Davido and JuanTCB like this.
  18. zither

zither Lodger

If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt. 2) is much better in my humble opinion.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  19. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Can we talk about favourite pressings while we’re here? I’ve got the 1980 Japanese, which is favoured by Michael Fremer (AnalogPlanet). Anyone else have their prefered vinyl for this fun-in-the-sun record?

20. California Couple

"I'm not a musician, I just play bass."
    - Bill Wyman

21. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I love this album. What a weird bridge into the '80s...disco was nearly dead and new wave emerging, and the Stones produce a hit record that's straight-ahead rock 'n' roll 'n' disco. I agree that it's one of the ultimate summertime albums, with the title track fading in and out as cars pass by.

mdm08033, notesfrom, Davido and 3 others like this.
  22. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Damn, was that the first bass player joke? Did Bill start a genre? :)

23. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

"Dance (Part 1)" is a Top 10 Stones track for me. In 2010, I made a list and had this at #7. (I wish the long outtakes were in better quality....)
    I love the groove-oriented stuff they did at the time: "Dance", "Everything Is Turning To Gold", "Slave" (though Slave is a bit older actually...)

24. Zack

Zack Senior Member

ER is a fun, and definitely the funniest, Stones album, which suffers from the fact that it's the follow up to the iconic Some Girls. I hated Dance Pt. 1 as a 16 year old but love it now, especially its revival in 2002. Like many Stones albums, even on this album of leftovers the best stuff got left off, as the confusion apparent in the band comments at the start of the thread clearly suggests.

mdm08033, The MEZ and Malcolm Crowne like this.
  25. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Worst album cover

BDC, John Fell and MRamble like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.