Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I don't think 'extra stuff' is a factor, they just do that as a way to sell more copies of a limited edition set. They will do an all music edition for this if it sells out the first run fast enough.
    Someone else on this thread (or maybe the main thread) said that they were able to update their shipping option after they ordered it.

US Blues likes this.
  2. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

I like my Dead with a dose of jazz. Stoked!

trumpet sounds and US Blues like this.
  3. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Yup, the smaller boxes along with the Hampton '89 wooden set seem charming in comparison to the modern boxes.

This is the first time I'm buying a big box as a 24/192, so it kind of cracks me up as it's being marketed as such an arty release that DL says this box will be on display as art in his home. Meanwhile I have the 30 Trips toy box wrapped in plastic up crammed on to some storage shelf, other odd boxes on top of more normal boxes as there's no rhyme or reason to packaging. Get Shown The Light has a Blur cube balancing on top of it. :laugh: It's very rare that I go back to books etc., and I have a closet shelf away from the music collection with King Crimson and Mosaic boxes piled up on top of each other since they're the same size. Yup, I have the "Spoiled Music Fan Box Set Packaging Blues", so this baby will take up a hard drives instead.

As far as the music, just getting 6-22-73 is huge for me as it's a very special show. I used to wonder if due to customs they had to leave their usual drug stash in the US and that ingesting something different in Canada is behind it's unique approach. I've only heard the "Dark Star" section from Portland and have never heard the '73 Seattle. Of the '74s I probably haven't played Vancouver or Seattle in about 10 years so those will sound very fresh and better than ever. And I love that it's '73 AND '74 in one. Well done Grateful Dead, well done!

Taylor16, trd, AxiomAcoustics and 7 others like this.
  4. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Hypemeister?

6. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Sordel likes this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The hardback book is great. Especially the extended photo album at the back. I thought they really went all out for that book, but it seemed to get lost in the din of complaints there wasn't more schwag in the trunk.

8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yes. It's not that I necessarily "care", but the seaside chat keeps suggesting that 5/19 was intended for release in the past. What about the vocal dropouts in the first set? Did they always have a better source? Newly returned Betty Board? Warts and all release? Inquiring minds want to know.

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I say this on every other Grateful Dead thread, so.......................

Next year, we need the Summer 1985 Saratoga>Hershey>Merriweather (x2) box set!!

10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I'd buy that one 100%

LandHorses, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Your use of the terms "dose" and "jazz" in this context are just exactly perfect.

12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Or, "I like my Dead with a dose. Jazz! Stoked."

mmthmj, LucaB, adamos and 7 others like this.
  13. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

unravelled, Crispy Rob and wgb113 like this.
  14. hfarrior3

LucaB likes this.
  15. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Just a quick heads-up for those who may be considering a change to their orders.

I originally ordered both the "Complete" box as well as the Portland vinyl box. After seeing posts here about the pricing at Amazon.uk I emailed customer service to see if they could simply delete the LP set. I wanted to be sure about that before I ordered another copy via AMZUK. They finally got back a few minutes ago and said that, even though it's a pre-order and still "processing" the only option is to cancel the order and place a new order. They cannot change anything on any order whatsoever. Odd. Not sure aht to do at this point as I can see this getting effed up so easily, and my luck would be such that after the cancellation is confirmed I'll go to reorder and it will be sold out.

So thinlking I may eat thedifference this time and know their procedures for future reference. But, that difference of $45-55 w/shipping is eating at me. A significant difference.

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I felt good as I started to reaquire my live tapes on CDRs. Those were thinner and took less space. Then I got feeling even better as my CDR's started going to HDspace (FLAC). This is looking good.

But then I started getting sucked in by vinyl boxes... and then I started getting sucked in by every other kind of box... and now I'm worse off than I ever was.

17. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

How did you get $75.00, mine is 62.15 GBP ... which equals about $83.00 USD.

18. AxiomAcoustics

So they were able to 'change' your order after it was placed?

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. AxiomAcoustics

While I ordered the complete set I did do the math on the benefits of the 3CD comp:

Complete set: 5 "Promised Lands", 6 "BIODTL", 3 'Johhny's", 2 "Around's", 2 "Saturday Nights"
    3CD Comp: 1 "Saturday Night"

Advantage: Comp

ralphk, CraigC, Six Bachelors and 2 others like this.
  20. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

The compilation lacks a "Weather Report Suite," though.

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Game, set, match - Box!

22. AxiomAcoustics

Right, I was just looking at the subtractive benefits and trying to make it look better.

23. AxiomAcoustics

:biglaugh:
    I was looking at a stressful meeting this morning and had a minute so checked in and saw this post, suddenly the stress level halved. :thumbsup:

24. hfarrior3

You're right, my rate was off, I was looking at the Euro and not the GBP! I got mine for 62.15 GBP as well. Good thing is if the pre-order price lowers between now and then we'll also lock in that lower rate. Amazon UK is supposed to have a conversion feature at check out but I couldn't get it to turn on

KOWHeigel likes this.
  25. AxiomAcoustics

Have you gotten a chance to give DP8 a full spin? If so how is the pressing quality?

I passed (so far) on this as well. It's a favorite show and the "package" looks great, watched the video n the Brookvale site. It's great that JN did an actual remaster on this separate from the original DP release and the Brookvale guy spends a lot of time talking about the meticulous remastering and how it took 3 sets of test pressings to get it right, how much time was afforded the packaging yada yada, and then he sends the digital files to Nashville for lacquer cutting and then.....to United for pressing?! (URP indeed, no wonder it took 3 TP's.) To me the pressing is one of the most important aspects of the ultimate quality of the set. That's why I held off, would love to hear they upped their game for this one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Crispy Rob likes this.