Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

And everyone else is still partying on Friday into Saturday and Sunday, join them then don't bother getting up on Monday.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

For me each day still has its "feel" too, but the weird thing is that it's not always the "correct feel" - today it felt like Friday all day and there are more days like that...

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I haven't experienced that yet-maybe because I go the gym Monday-Friday and do different things there each day. Hard to say.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I took my early retirement on 5/15/2012 so I have retired for 5 years already ...

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Most of the time I have no idea what day it is, or month or even year.Had a security check from my bank today and had no idea when I last took money out of my account.
    These people seem to work on specifics, it's everything. One day they will say now I understand how nothing, yes nothing is special. Except how you feel at the time.

6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

This is special.In fact at the moment nothing matters but this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It feels as if I retired only a few years ago, yet I officially retired on June 1, 2007 at 60.

8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Always good to find common ground with mother-in-law... ;)

royzak2000 likes this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

In the mood this afternoon for something light, so this Boccherini LP goes on the turntable. Nice!
    Three Quintets for Guitar, 2 Violins, Viola, and Cello. Narciso Yepes, guitar, with the Melos Quartet Stuttgart. DG 1970.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 9. Elgar and Walton Cello Concertos. Yo-Yo Ma, Andre Previn/LSO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

I was off by a year. My early retirement actually started on 5/15/2013 at 59 1/2.

12. coopmv

I paid for my one-year gym membership on 12/31 last year but have not been there since early February. I prefer taking long walk until it gets too hot or too cold, then I will hit the gym ...

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My last day of work was March 31, 2014 at 58.5 years old.

14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I still like to do resistance work. Muscle and bone mass tends to shrink after turning 60. I don't like that idea.

15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Ah, ok. I guess what the author meant, is that the Cavatina is the only work that has survived into the repertory of today's orchestras (which might have been true when those liner notes were written). I haven't heard much of Raff, but from what I understand he was a hugely popular composer during his lifetime and completely forgotten afterwards. There are countless Raff CDs out there, though, so he has been re-discovered, alright.

16. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Oddly, though, the one thing I haven't heard is the piece that apparently survived!

Raff is well worth an investigation, some of this work is really quite beautiful. The 5th Symphony is a good place to start, especially if you can find the Bernard Herrmann recording. Oddly, I paid quite a bit for my CD copy, and it's on Amazon in America used for $7! Typical!

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  17. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Tonight, another stellar Musikfest CD from the library. Nos. 88 and 89 recorded in 1973, No. 92 in 1975.
    [​IMG]

18. coopmv

:righton: I just realized I don't even have a single Haydn Symphonies by Bohm on CD. IIRC, I do have some on LP ...

ToddBD likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to "Beethoven - Symphony No. 9" performed by the Philharmonia Orchestra led by Herbert Von Karajan on Warner.

[​IMG]

20. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Bohm is one conductor I need to get to know better...

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Charles Gerhardt was a London-based American who produced the RD series as well as recordings for RCA. He also conducted, but only for recordings, not concerts. In the 70s he conducted a series of Classic Film Scores LPs for RCA. The engineer for most of his projects as producer or conductor was Decca's famed Kenneth Wilkinson.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. coopmv

So a Decca's engineer moonlighted at RCA ...

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Supraphon recordings made 6/14-16/71 (No. 21) & 9/11-12/70 (No. 24) at Smetana Hall, Prague. Producer: Dr. Eduard Herzog. Engineer: Miloslav Kulhan. Quintessence reissue from 1979 remastered by Steve Vining. Really good performances & sound.

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Decca made a lot of recordings for RCA, as well as for Lyrita & sometimes other labels. Sometimes the rights to the RCA recordings went to Decca after a certain period of time. For instance, Karajan recordings from Vienna that first appeared on RCA later became Decca's.

ToddBD, crispi and ShallowMemory like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, "Mouton: 1515 - Sacred Works" performed by Ensembles Diabolus In Musica & Clement Janequin on Bayard Musique.

[​IMG]