Why Don't We Do It In The Road-How many Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Upsiditus, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Sour sea milk would have been a better choice

2. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

What?

Savoy Truffle has some great the coolest guitar work ever!

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Ringo on drums. Paul on everything else.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Please don't let this thread become another "What would you put on a single WA"!
    Interesting that some don't get or appreciate the artistry of this track, though.

5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

this

RubenH likes this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There is only one meaning of 'Finger Pie' - if you are a Liverpool Youth hanging around at the Penny Lane bus terminal of a Friday night in the 50s or 60s. Trust me.

andybeau and wayneklein like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

SAVOY TRUFFLE IS THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!

8. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It's the funniest song in the beatles catalog. And it's a blues, played hard.

Of course Lennon was mad. F him.

maywitch likes this.
  9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

+100 :agree:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Fleet Fox and Maranatha5585 like this.
  10. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Why Don't We Do It In The Road is about as in depth in lyrics as You Know My Name. If the full title of the latter is: You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
    then you could title the former as: Why Don't We Do It In The Road (No One Will Be Watching Us).

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Surely very high on my list for White Album tracks.

Far better song than WDWDIITH and I can't imagine anybody who thinks the latter is funnier than the subject of Savoy Truffle, which is about Eric Clapton's sweet tooth and a box of different-flavvored chocolates.

Upsiditus likes this.
  12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

So what?
    Safe to say half the album wouldn’t have made the cut. Doesn’t mean whatever those songs would have been are bad. Politics along with different tastes would play into it.

13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I certainly concur!

john lennonist likes this.
  14. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

How are the lyrics clever?

Upsiditus and john lennonist like this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, there is more than one meaning to the term, which is my point. I'm satisfied that Paul intended it to be double-entendre because of the quote provided but I don't buy the line that it's single entendre.

16. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

There really ISN'T more than one meaning to the term in the NW of England, honestly!

Paul gets away with it, because it's not noticeably rude to those who've never heard the expression (who then attach their own interpretation of it, as we've seen on this thread)

RubenH and nikh33 like this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I love Paul’s vocals and the groove is rockin’! I can see why John would have liked to have played on it.

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I should think that the very fact he paired it with "four of fish" indicates a double entendre, but whatever. Just be sure to wash your hands between your four of fish and your finger pie.

hoggydoggy and ParloFax like this.
  19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I had thought there was an expression "Fish and finger pie" which would pun on using the words as verbs instead of nouns. Now is someone going to burst my bubble?

20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

its clever in its not cleverness. paul wants to do it in the road. and why not? no one will be watching. and he just repeats it.

why don't we... is only 1:40 I figured thats a reason it along with wild honey pie got squeezed in (and can you take me back...)

21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

The song seems to be a parody of macho boudoir rock. If it's clever then that's the reason.

And this is the Hold Your Hand band.

maywitch likes this.
  22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

This album is from the era where we had no choice but to listen to the entire LP side all the way through. A thought that is foreign to modern folks.
    Today if this came out as a download or a CD, most would skip many of the songs on it and it would thus become nothing more than a handful of popular songs.

I hated this when I got the album. I thought it was horrible. I disliked many of the songs on this album, but in order to hear the ones I did like, I had to listen to the ones I did not. Of course, along the way on the many play-thrus, the songs I didn't like became familiar and eventually moved into the "OK" territory, then after many years became the fabric of the album.

Today I can appreciate the tune, I don't mind it at all. But if it were not for those forced repeated listens, I never would have given it a chance after the first play through.

Sadly, this is what happens these days when albums are released, and why we instantly end up saying "JOE ARTIST"'s current albums are nowhere near as good as their old albums - but DUH! We hardly listen to the new albums before we make judgement and file them away.

23. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Well, we ALL know they wanted to do more than hold your hand. I hope Paul sings this one in Austin in October!

24. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

And all the guys who want to rip it to shreds have multiple copies, in mono, stereo, top-loader, side-loader, German/Brazilian/US/UK/Guatemalan pressings, ones on the red Apple label, etc., and on CD too, catalogued on an Excel spreadsheet somewhere.

I always liked "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" The Beatles didn't do much that I don't like. And I love the White Album. Wouldn't change a thing.

Is WDWDIITR the best, most top-shelf Beatles song ever? No, not really, but it doesn't have to be.

wayneklein and George Blair like this.
  25. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

When you think of the razzing they got about the Stones being cooler, and not just wanting to hold your hand etc., all the comparisons, I just see this as a good move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.