OK, so many vinyl fans, but who's just DONE with it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I rarely listen to vinyl but my TTs and LPs aren’t going anywhere.

timind, Manimal and Steve0 like this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

That is fairly relative as it can be seen by the large amount of complains about newer vinyl releases sounding pathetic that even if you play those in super expensive equipment they will still sound bad and those records have been mastered digitally.

There is no reason why digital these days should sound bad even on cheapish equipment but the studios and mastering engineers seem committed to making it so. There are always some exceptions but even when you buy HD files, if they are the same files that were used to press those bad records then those HD files will sound inferior too, if they are not good they are not good no matter how you call them or how many bits you have.

BayouTiger likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You started a whole thread about this subject just a few months ago, so how come you can't believe that you just said it again?:laugh:

Losing interest in vinyl, there I said it!

4. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I hear clicks and pops.....

o_O

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I guess my city is kind of trendoid; blu-rays are making people dump their dvds cheap and the vinyl revival is pretty strong here and I really have found a couple '80s-early '90s items and box sets that would be at least $30 on ebay for under $10. Now if only someone would decide their Paramounts At Abbey Road CD is junk and let me run across it for a bargain price!

6. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

When hurricane Harvey flooded my house destroying all my LP', phono preamp and turntable, I was done with it. I was listening mostly to digital anyway.

Manimal likes this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

When I visited the High End Show last month, I visited many demos. In every room... clicks, pops and surface noise. No, thank you!

8. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Understandable. Of course in such a situation, one has bigger concerns than whether or not they want to keep up on hobbies.

To read some of the things on this forum, you would think some people never experienced the clicks and pops.

9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I just want to make sure everybody sees it. Delighted to see you were paying attention, means a lot to me!

JG

PS: Don't forget to tell everybody you know, even people not on the forum.

timind likes this.
  10. James Glennon

:yikes:

JG

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Most dealers have no idea how to set up a TT even if they claim otherwise. If you buy the right tools and study this forum and others all the information is there and you can tweak to optimise your set up as much as you want. Even in the old 'Linn' days there was only a handful of dealers who could adjust the decks properly (even though it wasn't rocket science). I believe that situation probably still exists especially with the more complex 'upgrade' options.

James Glennon likes this.
  12. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

I have done very extensive testing of my TT setup vs my digital setup and after many thousands of hours of analysis its quite clear that both sound very good :p

Dolemite, timind, nosliw and 3 others like this.
  13. I agree both formats sound great to me. Getting my new CD player later today. Really looking forward to it but will no doubt be listening to my LPs as and when the mood takes me

Dolemite and timind like this.
  14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Same here. I've got dozens of albums and singles that were released only on vinyl records and even cassettes. Some are actual albums but a whole lot in my collection are live recordings and rehearsals.

15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I wonder if there's something wrong with my hearing that clicks and pops are not so noticeable to me... or is it in the brain? Perhaps some of us sort of auto-tune them right out having been brought up in a different era? I am amazed at the hyper sensitivity to such a minor thing, like the 'princess and the pea' several mattresses down. I think it must be something to do with processing in the brain than what hits the ear because decent vinyl has always sounded great and full to me. I've had some CDs that I could not make sound as good, that seemed limited, and there have been cheap-o styrene or budget label vinyl albums that have disappointed even in pristine physical condition.

Yes, it's got to be in the brain. I can even enjoy an old 78 and listen through the surface noise. I know at one time I had trouble doing that and was really missing out. I do wish I could tune 'F'-ing lawn 'care' company lawnmower and weed-eater and blower sounds out a lot more though, all I can do is shove in rubber earplugs and noise-cancelling headphones when it's really bad. Oddly there is the odd one I almost don't hear at all too. In school I found mentally challenged kids, or even supposedly normal kids, making noise in the classroom would blow my concentration for something like maths or typing.

16. James Glennon

I have to say that noisy vinyl was never an issue for me, if I bought an LP and it was noisy I would just return it and generally that solved it, occasionally you would realise it was a bad batch of LPs and give up. The same goes for warped vinyl.

As a listening experience all the talk of pops and crackles never put me off the medium. I just loved everything about vinyl, probably having a good vinyl system from around 1980 was a big help.

I seriously got interested in vinyl around 1970 and it took a couple of years to fully grasp what was needed to overcome the inadequacies of vinyl, which I did with great advice offered by people further along the vinyl road.

When CD came out, I was one of the very few who just didn't buy into the 'new' medium and got ridiculed for my stance. I never switched to CD, vinyl has remained my abiding passion.

I have updated that view unfortunately as you can see from quoted comment.

JG

17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Ditto, for me.

Although my CD collection exists nicely in physical and Flac formats.

18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think it comes from knowing that you can enjoy both records and digital and it doesn't have to be a one vs. the other thing. I probably wouldn't enjoy music nearly as much, if I were constantly listening for every little flaw in the media.

timind, beccabear67 and James Glennon like this.
  19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

And then there are those of us who have occasionally experienced the clicks and pops, but didn't wail and gnash our teeth and rend our garments when they happened.

They're clicks and pops. I got over them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    wgriel, sublemon, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  20. James Glennon

:wiggle::evil::laughup::biglaugh:

JG

21. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

/\ -this is the answer

Thread closed.

timind likes this.
  22. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I'll take clicks and pops any day over a skipping CD

broshfab4 likes this.
  23. contium

contium Forum Resident

Funny. When I walk around the T.H.E. Show going down the halls, the only rooms that draw me in are spinning vinyl. And usually with tubes on top of that. That's just following my ears.

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

:whistle:

25. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

This thread is almost turning into a clicks and pops praise:)
    Someone even wrote that if you hear them, it means you are not connecting with music.
    Why do we have to make an effort to "connect with music"? I just don't get it. Like a chef having to ignore too much salt in a dish, and if he doesn't then he doesn't connect with food, he's not a food lover...
    Or spending a night with the most beautiful lady in the world, and having someone slapping you on your head for the whole time. Yes can be done, but why if you have an option?

And no, I wouldn't go to an opera if I knew there was someone coughing in the hall, everytime, always at the same time.
    Just because I love music, I also love the silence there is sometimes in between notes. Thinking of Moonchild by King Crimson. There are quiet parts in that song, really quite parts, and I want to enjoy those as well, just as they were intended.

If I spend 30 dollar plus on an album, I would expect it to sound perfect, just "as it was recorded". If it doesn't, it means the record industry hasn't been able to come up with something that works. I'd rather look for options rather then coming up with a philosophy that explains it.

I hope I don't sound harsh, it's just how I feel.

Gie663 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.