Fleetwood Mac Rumours First Pressing ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockitman, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    AaronW and fluffskul like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

On the Rumours topic, I recently picked up a textured cover cursive Terra Haute Ken Perry US pressing with F3/F5 stampers. Palm tree labels. It really blew me away.

marcfeld69 and Aftermath like this.
  3. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

Picked up another copy of Rumours. I went through every US version on Discogs trying to match mine. It is on the Palms label. Mastered by Capital, KP.
    Side 1 matrix is BSK-1-3010 JW1 F4 then a triangle followed by 21970
    Side 2 matrix is SUB BSK-2-3010 P1 F2 then a triangle followed by 21970x
    Both sides also have very faint cursive that I can't read easily. It is possibly Jacksonville which I would assume is the Jacksonville plant? I have just not seen it identified that way before.
    My questions are what does "SUB" indicate? Do the triangles relate to the metal work? Has anyone seen "Jacksonville" in cursive like that? What else might the cursive be?
    Thanks for any help!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You can only make a finite number of records from a lacquer. This LP was highly anticipated and sold in the millions in the US alone, so a number of lacquers were likely cut by Ken Perry (using the same mastering moves) before initial release to meet demand. All of these could technically be called the first press.

marcfeld69 and Shawn like this.
  5. Echoes Myron

The cursive script on mine is "Terra Haute". Not sure if that is where yours was pressed.

Blank Slate likes this.
  6. Blank Slate

Thanks for the reply!
    With help from forum member W.B. I have determined it is a Jacksonville pressing so I feel safe to assume the cursive I can't quite make out is "Jacksonville."
    Still not sure what other information is hidden in the matrix etchings!

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I'd normally shrug posts like this off... .but I did this exact experiment tonight BY ACCIDENT! Finally decided to clean and play all the different copies of Rumours I own tonight...

Besides stating the obvious, that is is one of only a handful of albums in Rock N Roll you can listen to 4 times in a row and still love it... this post is so true.

I just listened to 2 side A "F39" stamps with identical deadwax. One has a thumping, hit you in the chest bass, and the other one is pedestrian. No small difference, even on my entry-level system.

marcfeld69, Aftermath, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  8. Blank Slate

Back with another question because I listened to this again today and it sounds great.
    I believe it was pressed at Jacksonville. Would the delta number indicate the metal parts came from Alco Research & Engineering which used delta numbers like this? The other versions I own do not have this delta number.

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My (early?) Santa Maria copy (F7 / F5):

A: (handwritten, very small) BSK-1-3010 SM2 F7 Santa Maria
    (machine stamped) MASTERED BY CAPITOL

B: (handwritten, very small) BSK-2-3010 WW1 F5 Santa Maria
    (machine stamped) MASTERED BY CAPITOL

Yes there actually are the words Santa Maria handwritten in the deadwax.

I have at least 100 LPs pressed by Columbia Santa Maria and this is the only one on which I've seen those words written in the dead wax!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Aftermath and fluffskul like this.
  10. fluffskul

Scored an F2/F2 recently... i swore I'd stop buying this title but i rarely see numbers that low... and even more rare the same matrix on both sides.

Side 1 sounded amazing... flipping to side 2 now!

pexie, Echoes Myron and marcfeld69 like this.
  11. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

And?

12. fluffskul

Equally impressive. So good, I actually put headphones on for a closer listen. PM me if you are interested in a needledrop sample.

pexie and marcfeld69 like this.
  13. marcfeld69

Great. Can't find my US pressing on Discogs except one side. I have F6 and F11 and it sounds pretty good. One side is WW2 and the other LW, so a mongrel? My Japanese pressing is MASTERED BY CAPITOL with KP on both sides and F22 both sides. Will compare soon.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

same with marc, this is mine with the black obi Fleetwood Mac - Rumours just checked it and it has "mastered by capitol" and F22 on both sides and something cursive but didn't see any KP (guess its my eyesight). the sound is phenomenal. my goto track is "never going back again". just love the sound on that one. but my fave song on the whole album is Christine's written and performed "songbird". I know eva Cassidy (another LP on my ever growing wantlist) also did that but I prefer ms mcvie's version. can really feel her emotion :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

My copy isn't on discogs either - although this one comes close:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

It has the slightly textured sleeve and standard WB logo on the label.

A side: BSK- 1 - 3010 - WW2 - FM test - SP 1-1 MASTERDISK (this is stamped) RL
    B side: BSK - 2 - 3010 - WW18 - SP 1-1

I assume the 'FM test' means it's a test pressing? Is the MASTERDISK stamp significant?

It's also autographed by Mick and John on the cover and Stevie on the fold-out insert. Stevie inscribes her autograph to "Brendan", and all three sign "with love". I'm thinking it must be someone they all know, unless this was the standard way they autographed their albums in the 70s?

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. jasonsouza77

you're definitely blessed. u got an RL cut plus its autographed. it will be like a dream come true for me if I were to have that in my collection. congrats and thanks for sharing

marcfeld69 and pwhytey like this.
  17. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Thanks - I do treasure it. It sounds wonderful, too!

marcfeld69 and jasonsouza77 like this.
  18. jasonsouza77

im sure it does :) I have 2 RL cuts. c mangione children of sanchez and a jpn copy of Madonna's like a virgin. they sound amazing.

pwhytey likes this.
  19. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

So...I’ve got a UK cut. Dead wax: handwritten 2-28 k 56344 -a5 “Allen” EG. Anyone know of this one?

20. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Mine’s a U.K. pressing too. K56344A-1 WEA, A ‘W’ further round, also ‘Allen’. Also fwiw textured cover. All the way from London SE9, Gothic Print Finishers.

21. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I have a original Canadian textured cover pressing I really like.

• Matrix / Runout (Side I runouts): BSK-1-3010 SM3 F13 jmtl MASTERED BY CAPITOL
    • Matrix / Runout (Side II runouts): BSK-2-3010 WW2 F11 xx jmtl MASTERED BY CAPITOL

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  22. jasonsouza77

I think its using the US lacquer since it has "mastered by capitol" which sounds amazing

23. marcfeld69

Curious. I have a US copy with WW2 F11 on one side and LW1 F6 on the other. There are stamper (?) no.s on both sides. One is a '1' and the other is a '2'. The 2 looks like 'CJ' if you only glance at it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  24. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

My UK palm tree A-1 B-1 pressing has the very same matrix numbers as your copy, except I can't see 'cj' etched in deadwax.
    It sounds ace and I don't feel the need to look for a different pressing.

Is yours a UK pressing?

25. marcfeld69

[Jumping in...]

Mine's US. I have a feeling the CJ is indeed a mistake. The thing is that I 'saw' CJ when I was checking the record the other day. Then I realised it was simply a 2 on its side. I wonder if that's what the person who entered the Discogs data did, too. Nice to know your UK is good.

willboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.