Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My box (#564) is here and I’m working on cleaning all the vinyl before play testing it. It is indeed an impressive and imposing package. Anyone who got this for $170 got one heck of a deal. The vinyl looks beautiful and the cover art is well done and accurate to the originals albeit with a bit cheaper feel IMO. It comes well packed and will feel a bit like Christmas in June for anyone digging into this.

I’m looking forward to playing through this box but it will take some time, especially since I think you really need to play a record a few times before you have a real feel for it.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Where are you guys getting this from two days early?

btltez likes this.
  3. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Hi sonofjim:

Where did you get the box? Was it shipped inside another box? Did you get the download card? Thanks!

4. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I see what you're saying here, but I'm convinced they will not get any of it right.

5. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Few pics if anyone is interested...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

I've spent a couple of hours with this box and have some initial thoughts.

By way of pre-amble/positioning I have to say I've been agnostic about this set and have no axe to grind one way or other. I almost didn't buy it, and only pressed the button because I have some gaps and was (ever) hopeful to improve on the sound of GHS and IORR. So these are observations only on a few tracks, compared with other copies.

Just a word on the download thing for those who have had queries - it is only for MP3/Wav and is on the back of the tongue card.

What do I have to compare against? I have clean UK originals of Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock'n'Roll, Tattoo You, Steel Wheels, and Bridges to Babylon. I have Exile on original Artisan/Monarch. Some Girls I have on Virgin 1994. And I have 80s CBS copies of Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS, IORR, and Black and Blue.

The Packaging/Covers/Sleeves. They've done a cracking job here. Really authentic across the piece, I'd give 10/10. Good printing instead of the shoddy stuff often seen with re-presses. Even the poster of the goat's head is well done. Proper inner sleeves on all the records. As it should be.

Tracks played/compared:

1) Always Suffering from Bridges to Babylon. Original more open, more vibrant, more detail. New cut more cohesive, almost a different mix which may work better as a song overall. I didn't expect such a difference from a relatively new recording.
    2) Hand of Fate from Black and Blue. CBS copy is open and vibrant. New cut is more veiled and less engaging.
    3) Worried About You from Tattoo You. Original is foot tapping fab, much less compressed than the new one. New cut has tighter bass and kick drum, bigger keys, but good.
    4) Fingerprint File from IORR. I wanted to play this as it had been raised as a challenging track to get right on this set. The original is relatively closed and muddy sounding. The 80's CBS has a bigger soundstage, better detail, is clearer, and has more space around the instruments. It is the best version here. The new cut is coherent, punchy, and 'together' overall but without as much texture on individual instruments. Good but not as good as the CBS.
    5) Brown Sugar from, well you all know where don't you? The CBS is vibrant, natural, with great detail. The new cut presents the vocals and bvs better. It's good. It's a different presentation, but I like it. Yes I do.
    6) Tumbling Dice from Exile. The Artisan/Monarch is a massive sound with awesome detail, punch and vibe. The CBS is not far off the Artisan actually - the same mastering but just not quite as good. The new cut has lots of clarity around the vocals, is very together, and quite vibey - good in fact.
    7) Faraway Eyes from Some Girls. The Virgin 1994 is good, and solid. The new cut has much better presence, and is bigger, and I do wonder what an original is like here.
    8) Doo Doo Heartbreaker from GHS. The UK original has a big, convincing sound. The CBS is slightly smoother, maybe better detailed, and good. The new cut is very good - a modestly different mastering viewpoint, but the match of the other two. I must listen to more of the new GHS soon.
    9) Mixed Emotion from Steel Wheels. Nothing to say about the original - it's good. Not much to say about the new cut - it's better vocally but more restrained band wise.

Overall - (if you just look at the new LPs against the originals visually you can see the tracks occupy less space on the new records mostly. Different cutting decisions I suppose). The new cuts are generally quieter, and not overly compressed. If you've got clean originals you'll hear nothing better here. Some may be as good, but the presentations are slightly different, even with the more recent albums. A great set if you don't have the LPs already.

Just my initial observations after a quick listen. You may well disagree, which is fine by me. Good listening all.

7. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

For those who ordered from Collectors Choice w/ the 20% offer, I just received my shipping notice. I preordered back on April 29th. No delivery date w/ the tracking info given yet!

btltez likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The last vinyl issue of Sticky Fingers wasn’t all that great? I seem to recall it being pretty decent actually.

iloveguitars, ssmith3046 and Jack like this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Anybody else with a number like this?

OldSoul likes this.
  10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

May I remind you... :p

marcb likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Touche! :targettiphat:

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But the highest number would presumably still be 05000, no?

MRamble likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But IIRC correctly he initially posted there must be more than 9,999 if there are 5 digits.

My response was not necessarily, but I still thought it was even money we’d see #’s higher than 05000...the reported edition size.

lukpac likes this.
  14. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

dang. i ordered from them on April 28th and have received nothing. I even wrote them this morning and no reply.

15. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

I wouldn’t fret. I ordered mine the same day as you and just got confirmation an hour ago. My estimated delivery is by the end of the day Friday.

16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Music Direct. They shipped two days early, I assume because they thought that would get it here by Friday. Because of my proximity to Chicago, their free shipping basically ends up being priority shipping for me. I often get an order within a day, and it was shipped within another box. I can’t say for sure how it would be shipped from another seller.

I must admit I have not yet come across a download card but I haven’t emptied out the whole box yet and downloads aren’t my thing anyway. The only LP I’ve played thus far (once) is Sticky Fingers. I thought it sounded better the more I turned it up. Probably a good sign. I haven't directly compared this Sticky Fingers to the recent deluxe edition (which I happen to like) but to my recollection this one sounds like a flatter transfer. It seems to be right along the lines of what Miles said he was trying to do with these files. He also said the recordings are significantly better from Black and Blue on. We’ll see. Anyway, beautiful set from a physical standpoint.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    OldSoul likes this.
  17. Isn’t the download on the exterior package or sheet and not a small card ??

18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

haha thanks. Guess what? I JUST got the email! Says it shipped expedited 3-5 biz days.

19. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Not sure. I honestly haven’t come across anything resembling a download card but I also wasn’t really looking for one all that hard. It seems the only indication of numbering is on the official card, not on the box. Mine is 564. Relatively fortunate if you’re into numbers I guess.

20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

My previous download cards have always been stuck to an album towards the bottom of the box, and it was just a piece of paper, I had to take all the lips out to find it.
    Beave

sonofjim likes this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thank you for that. I have lots different originals and mine isn't here but I think I can't wait now!

22. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Elusive Disc shipped my copy today via FedEx. Will arrive home tomorrow.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

This is the same as the previous boxes, which were cut DMM and purposely cut low to cut down on inner groove distortion.
    Beave

24. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

Got my "Collectors Choice" shipping notice, will be here on Friday. Looking forward to it.

25. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I got my tracking from them — EOD Friday
    f