Don Covay - Jimi Hendrix "Mercy, Mercy" mono/stereo differences?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

You’re a delicate soul.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My parole officer has told me that too.... ;)

Mugrug12, Cassius and chacha like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Some of the songs on there scare me. In a good way, but still..

Arnold Grove likes this.
  4. chacha

Sookie Sookie, See Saw, Mercy.. fear not.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

He stole that song from Steppenwolf, darn him!

Arkoffs and chacha like this.
  6. chacha

Those poor guys. Elmore James and Chuck Berry ripped them off too.

7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Interesting the Rolling Stones connection. It is well know fact that Brian Jones was friends withJimi Hendrix. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when those two discussed Mercy Mercy.

8. chacha

do The Fat Man!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I assume the edsel "mercy!" is stereo? that's all I've heard

10. marka

marka Forum Resident

My copy of Steppenwolf s/t credits Sookie, Sookie (always loved that song) to Covay.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I had never heard of Covay until 15 minutes ago.

11. Steve Hoffman

Covay was great. Mick Jagger took everything from him, vocal style, etc. Like two peas in a pod.

12. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Here's a good one.

vudicus likes this.
  13. chacha

I played this whole album this afternoon for the first time in about 2o years thanks to this thread. One of the things I love most about this place - resurrecting the stuff I haven’t played in ages.
    Every track on this album is cool. Even the most filler like tunes have a vibe that’s irresistible. Dug it.

Arkoffs and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Unfortunately the characteristic opening lead guitar riff wasn't played by Jimi! He only did fill-ins on the track.
    The lead run was played by Ronnie Miller.

Source:
    "MR. MUSIC"

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah. It's doubtful what, if, Jimi plays on there. You certainly can't hear him, unlike his other contemporary sideman sessions. Can't hear any fills that sound like Jimi either,

16. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Listen to "I was Checkin out, She was Checkin in" by Don Covay. Jagger circa Goat's Head Soup- Black and Blue" - his whole vocal delivery is stolen from Covay. Not a bad thing.
    There are worse people you could steal from :)

Malina and DTK like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Flamingo Club, 14 February 1967
    (unreleased officially, so no copyright infringement here)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Lund - 10 September 1967
    Another live version here (at 25:30) with slightly better sound but it cuts out mid-song dammit!

phillyal1 likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

So, since this thread dates back to 2008:

Is the Razor & Tie Don Covay CD still the one to get for the best overview?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To add yet another twist to this, it looks like "A-1 Sound Studios Inc." was not actually Atlantic's studio, but rather a studio opened by former Atlantic exec Herb Abramson in the old Atlantic space at 234 West 56th Street (originally, later moved to 242 West 76th Street). But apparently Atlantic utilized them for some things. Talk about confusing.

21. Steve Hoffman

Yes, Herb had a deal with Atlantic. His story is complicated, sad and quite interesting. His "studio" really just barely paid the bills. Several musicians who played on MERCY, MERCY recall it being done at A-1 but that Talentmasters advertisement really throws a wrench into this. The answer lies in ROSEMART, the story of the label, etc., I'm sure. But everyone is dead now and I have no idea who to ask.

BTW, Mercy, Mercy has a guitar intro and playing throughout that is NOTHING like the guitar in the rest of the Rosemart era songs. Only Mercy has this unique guitar, intro included. It's our boy, has to be.

Chris M likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Jim Reeves was engineer at A-1 Sound at the time and is still around. I'll see if he has any recollection.

Arkoffs likes this.
  23. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Whoa! Just listened to the intro's for the tunes on both clips and... was that Jimi talking on the second one?? Haha, definitely, some speed problems there. On the Lund 9/10/67 he sounds like Dave Chappelle doing his 'white guy voice', hahaha. I'd say the first clip is too slow and the second clip is too fast. Anyways, sure sounds like he knew that song inside out. Either he played on the session as main guitarist or he was there at the session and learned the entire song from Ronnie Miller. I want to believe that's him on the single, but have often in my own mind questioned if I am really hearing the ''feel'' of Jimi's playing when I hear the original track, or if I am just hearing something similar played by another guitarist. Jimi had a rather particular sort of urgency to the way he played certain things. And while the playing on the original is totally his style, the playing itself (the speed of the movement of the hands across the fretboard throughout the song) has always made me wonder if that's really him. Not to say he couldnt play this. Just that the way it's played doesnt (for me) seem to *completely* sound like him. But, it was early in his career after all, so that might account for something I am hearing.

Also, is that Noel singing with Jimi on the Lund version?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Must be Noel!

Yeah, the Covay single intro lacks Jimi's characteristic snap and tightness which is one of his trademarks, from his wrist movement probably? It's there in the live versions, also the live version Jimi cut with Curtis Knight in December 1965.

It's also there in the rhythm work on Testify which he cut with The Isley Brothers in spring 1964, so it's not a case of immaturity.
    My guess is Jimi was rolling joints or something similar at the session, a gofer.
    Or he came up with the riff but Ronnie played it. Who knows...

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That snap and tightness (fonk!) is also absent from that Jayne Mansfield "Suey" thing (it doen't sound like Jimi at all).

However it does soundlike Jimi on the Johnny Halliday outtake of "Hey Joe" (Johhny and Mickey Jones have said that Jimi was there but the memory of him playing or not has got - in a 2017 interview Johnny said that Jimi didn't play on it*)

*Thanks to Yazid for highlighting that on the French Forum today!

Featured on the 2017 Dagger release "CURTIS KNIGHT / JIMI HENDRIX - Live At George's Club 20, 1965 & 1966".

The Don Covay version was in the West Coast Seattle Boy box of course.

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.