Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

Love Mailman...”I know I’m heading for the bottom”. After Chris’ passing much of this album screams with his inner pain. I agree with the post about the Ultra through super being an excellent 4 record run, in my book essential listening

2. Played my cassette of 'Superunknown' in my car till the tape broke back in 1994. Stupendous album that must be played LOUD. My preferred crankable method these days is the 2xLP set with the heavier than heavy heavyweight vinyl. Can't play this sucker loud enough...
    Soundgarden - Superunknown

[​IMG]

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

99.9 KISW in Seattle had the world premier of Spoonman. I was able hear it because back then when you bought a receiver for your 5-Disc CD player, it came with an antenna and I could get the Seattle stations from Canada.

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

As much as I love the album I always get the feeling it overshadows the two awesome surrounding albums Badmotorfinger and Down On The Upside. At the time I really liked the stripped down approach of the latter (lots of punky little rockers on that one) while BMF basically made them a major player in mainstream rock. I get the feeling that fact gets too easily ignored nowadays.

Sentient(Jæ)Ant and MRT like this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Inner pain? Didn’t his passing have to do with a mix-up of medications?
    What am I missing? :confused:

Guapito likes this.
  6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Probably my favourite.
    Absolutely LOVE the disorienting ending of that one.
    Great, great stuff!!!

notesofachord and MRT like this.
  7. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

8. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

I have the 2014 Double LP UMe A&M and it is fantastic. Dead quiet pressing , great protective sleeves. Nice booklet with all the lyrics. The bonus is the song: She Likes Surprises is added at the end of side 4. Worth more than I paid for it.

9. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Christgau needs to put the pipe down.
    Zeppelin rip?
    I'm so tired of that cliche.
    Sounds nothing like Zep.

Damn fine album by SG.

10. Well said.

11. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

agreed. it definitely unfairly overshadows both of those fantastic albums. they went out on such a high with Down on the Upside.

such a great band.

Sentient(Jæ)Ant likes this.
  12. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

Ya, when I hear so called music critics make simplified comments like that it makes me think that they have no business being a music critic at all.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Loved this album when it came out and still do. Brings back a lot of great memories from the 90's. Saw them live on this tour on a sweltering day in July at this relatively smaller college venue that had no AC. Some people (but not myself) were leaving because it was juts so damn hot (including some of the people I went with).
    Probably my favorite song on the album is Limo Wreck -a masterpiece in my eyes. I love the melodic intro riff and how the song just slowly ebbs a flows becoming heavier and darker as it progresses. Not really a weak song on the album.

14. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Do you mind sharing where you grabbed the German 320? I’ve been checking Discogs almost daily for quite some time unsuccessfully.

15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Five of the song titles on Superunknown directly reference suicide, so, yeah, definitely inner pain.

TheMovieRad likes this.
  16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I have the 2014 and love it. I've given up on trying to get first pressings of these classic 90's albums. If you get the right reissue they are usually pretty good.

Black Hole Sun and the whole album in general will always remind of high school. My Wave and the title track were other favorites off the album.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Christgau is a genius. Sadly hes not a good writer. ;)

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It was clearly a suicide that his wife tried to cover up as something else.

19. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

PM sent.

vinyldad62 likes this.
  20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Let Me Drown, Fell On Black Days, Head Down, The Day I Tried To Live and Like Suicide I suppose...

I never really expected such a thing being not in the know about his personal life and problems and gloominess always has been a calling card for most Grunge bands.

21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

One of my favorite albums from that era for sure. The note that Chris Cornell hits in "Let Me Drown" gives me chills every time. And Matt Cameron is a beast and continues to be so.

Ivand likes this.
  22. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Love that album, every bit of it.

Sept. 20 : Happy Birthday to Ben Shepherd, 50 years old today ....:cheers:

23. swaves

swaves Member

Thanks to those who posted about the German 320 pressing. I'll need to keep an eye out for that one. I have the 1994 clear blueish/greenish pressing and it does have some sibilance issues on many songs. I'm happy with the instrumental parts, they sound excellent, but the vocal sibilance is distracting at times. "She Likes Surprises" is basically unlistenable. I thought I got a bum copy until I read other posts here.

24. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

I can concur on the 320 pressing, took me several years to find a copy but as this album is in my top 3, I was determined to find a copy. It sounds excellent, probably as good as this album is ever going to sound. Good luck and dont give up until you snag a copy

25. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

The entire year basically plays like a greatest hits. So many classics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.