FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

For which model & from which caps?

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Seeing I rebuilt about 100 Fishers, it includes the Fisher 400, 500 & 800 series. Amps included the SA-100, X-100, 101 200 & 202 series.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

All coupling caps were upgraded to K40Y-9

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  4. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Ditto. I use a Fisher 500b in my man cave. I think it sounds awesome...the opposite of uninvolved and dull. I own a bunch of vintage ss amps and receivers. Only my late 60's Sansui's sound nearly as warm and and musical as my 500b.

Bruno Primas likes this.
  5. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Well I've watched this thread with much interest over the years and have finally pulled the trigger: got a professionally serviced, pristine quality 800C on its way. I've always been a solid state listener (current main is a Yamaha RX-V867), but I've never really delved into tubes with the odd exception of some hybrid phono stages/headphone amps. Can't wait for it to get here and see what all the fuss is about!

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Congratulations on your acquisition! The 800C is an excellent receiver and assuming it's been restored correctly, and you have speakers that will play nice with it, you should see and hear what all the fuss is about within a few minutes. And it will only get better as those tubes get how and the minutes turns into hours, days and months.

Here's a snap of it's FM only brother 500C that brings me nothing but joy every moment I listen. May you have the same fortune with your 800C.

[​IMG]

Ken K, gorangers, Chris C and 6 others like this.
  7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Beautiful

8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I found an H.H. Scott 299C on Craigslist a couple months ago. Seller wanted $300 and I didn’t haggle. It was non-functioning at the time due to a broken fuse holder. I replaced the fuse holder with a similar model, and it fired right up! Since then I replaced the selenium rectifier with a silicon. The tubes were all original and still functioning but I still sprung for a “new” set of NOS tubes, mostly Sylvania (output), GE (phase inverter), and Mullard (pre’s and rectifier). She sounds great! I need to get around to putting in new electrolytics but I’ve been too busy listening to it to stop to open it up again!

Sony UBP-x800 -> Schiit Gungnir MB -> Scott 299C -> Harbeth M30.1

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Great amp. Put up a few pics when you have moment.

Manimal likes this.
  10. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

I myself recently got a Fisher 800C and have been listening to it non stop. Paired with Rogers LS7s, the combination is sweet sounding and is just pure bliss. What a joy to listen to! It mates beautifully with my more modern Reference 3A MM De Capo BE as well. This amp is a keeper. Thanks to this thread for making me aware of this gem of a vintage amp. My VTL integrated will be resting for a while.

DBMethos likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My recently acquired Fisher 500C is just days away from coming home, after having my local stereo repair guy do a complete overhaul on it with those earlier recommended Russian K40Y-9 caps. He was supposed to be done with it by June 1st, but asked me for an extra week or so. I have a feeling that "he" is enjoying it too much to give it back to me! :laugh: My also recently acquired 1984 Klipsch Cornwalls, are also awaiting the Fisher's arrival, with hopes that they will play as nicely together, as I have read about from others, time and time again?

Dennis0675 and MarioHead like this.
  12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Tube Fishers are $600 to $1200 plus rebuild at $600-$1200. You could have $2400 in a Fisher stereo receiver before tube upgrades. A NOS quad of 7868 or 7591 tubes are over $200. Not so cheap. Also must use K40Y-9 paper in oil coupling capacitors or sound is not great. Most rebuilders use cheap $1 coupling caps throwing you under the bus so to speak. A properly rebuilt Fisher with best tubes is stunning and especially so on rock & roll music. It is an aggressive almost 'angry' sound when turned up on hard rock with the exception of a smoother sound from the Fisher C series (great for Jazz or Classical music).

Cheap is an Allied 333 or Pioneer SX34 receiver (same as Allied 333). $150 to $250 for Allied 333 plus a $300-$500 rebuild. The Allied 333 does sound great like a Fisher, but only 11 watts vs 30 watts per channel. Note that the Allied likes RCA 12AX7 black plate and Siemens 6BM8s. Matsushita 6BM8 are 2nd best and Mullard 6BM8 sounds awful.

Also noteworthy- Vintage Kenwood 1960s tube receivers do not sound good even after upgrades plus cost more than an Allied 333.

gorangers likes this.
  13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Just wait until you hear that Fisher with K40y-9 coupling caps. Do give the K40Y-9 capacitors 200 hours break-in time for ultimate refinement, It will compete with $5K+ Audio Note amps.

Chris C likes this.
  14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I rebuilt over 100 Fishers, so it was all models. Used Russian paper in oil K40Y-9 coupling capacitors. These caps just killed Orange Drops & others.

15. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I picked up a quad of new Russian 7591 output tubes for around $100. I think they sound very close to NOS in my modest system.

The ancillary tubes make a difference in sound too. You can swap out and try different tubes in tone control, phase splitter, phono stage etc to get some different sound characteristics.

For you guys just getting your Fisher amps or receivers, I believe your in for a nice treat. My 500b is my most enjoy piece of audio equipment.

DBMethos and Chris C like this.
  16. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

My mono TA-500 receiver from 1957 is my most cherished piece of Fisher gear--and that's saying something, considering I own a 400cx2 preamp. I have had all variety of the 400/500/800 stereo receivers over the years, and once shopped out by a qualified tech, they're all great. Though procuring a quad/2 pairs of purported "NOS" US-made 7591 or 7868 tubes might be a toilsome proposition at this late stage, I can tell you from personal experience that a truly NOS (or low-hours) quad will last you for upwards of 15 years in one of these receivers. Don't mess with the Russian tubes that will sound fine but may likely last a fraction of the time.

17. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

Does anyone have comments re: The Fisher X-1000?

18. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Flagship of the Fisher line in the early 60's. Runs EL 34 output tubes and is rated at 55 watts per channel. I have never heard one, but supposed to be excellent. I'm guessing they'd be quite pricey if you found a nice one.

19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Besides that, this thing has nineteen tubes! I don't run mine except for short spells at a time, there's too much opportunity for wear and tear.

Better to have your nice little EL84 based amplifier to run forever.

russk likes this.
  20. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

They will play great together! I have klipsch chorus IIs and Forte's in a different room.

Have you upgraded your crossovers? This makes a big difference

21. russk

russk Forum Resident

That's true. I have zero tube guilt running my EL84 amp with it's 5 tubes. In fact my preferred EL 84 tube can be had for like 80 bucks a pair, delivered. It's great.

Sadly I'm now saving for a Mac amp and preamp. So many tubes.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

What is your preferred EL84?

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have not replaced those yet, but I certainly plan to. In my front room, I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus 1's that I added new Bob Crites crossovers and diaphrams to, hooked up to a Scott 299b (serviced by Craig at NOS Valves) and I LOVE those speakers. I have hunted for the longest time for either the Cornwalls or Chrous II's and this one owner pair of 1984 Cornwalls came up, with the "cane" grills, which I personally love, so I had to buy them! While waiting for my Fisher 500c to return, I hooked up that Scott 299b to them and so far, I'm actually unimpressed, which is weird, as I love that Scott on my Chorus 1's? I was hoping that the Cornwalls would be just like the Chorus 1's, but with the bottom end boom that the Chorus' are missing!

24. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I have this same 500-C but I need to find a qualified tech to get it to full working order. This is such a beautiful receiver. Someone on here recommended a guy here in Jersey, but the email address is no longer valid.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You might try the Fisher sub forum on Audiokarma. Lots of experts on there, perhaps even somebody from Jersey who can help you out.