Why Don't We Do It In The Road-How many Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Upsiditus, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

Actually as I recall John was rather upset that he was NOT part of it, it seems he quite liked it.

2. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I love it! You can see this track as a precursor to the style he would explore on the McCartney (cherries) album.
    Not every track needs to be crafted like Hey Jude or Stairway to Heaven to be great.

3. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Personally I don’t like it because I’m into melody and harmony, but I can see why people like it. It’s certainly amusing and there’s an element of spontaneous free style to it that makes it fresh.

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Therefore, and it was said on the mount, "Those that dig "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" shall also dig McCartney II - especially "Temporary Secretary".
    If thou shall not relish in the delights of "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" thou shall not abide the glories of McCartney II.

And it shall be.

5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Some of these comments really surprise me. I always thought this was a great track and a centerpiece of the album. I really never considered that there were contrary opinions.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I like "Wild Honey Pie" as well.

ParloFax and Greenalishi like this.
  7. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

You got it man. You are keeping up great. This song is obviously sung by a pedestrian who aspires to other activities, and yet not a pedestrian tune, to me.

8. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

The white album was a lot of melodies, and if you heard it in context you are going to have strong associations linking all the tunes. They are like children in a choir. It's hard to break with the affection for beatles songs as isolated things, and think "I don't like that" when it was in the spirit of the LP. I think.

ParloFax and Greenalishi like this.
  9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Lennon obviously made that oft-repeated remark before he hooked up with Yoko.

IMO Paul's vocal delivery is the only real saving grace of the track.

10. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

It's a good enough song but I think its brevity allows me to enjoy it more than I would had it clocked in over three, or even two, minutes. To call it a centerpiece is only true in the very literal sense that it is placed in the middle of the album.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

No. Though I've heard some theory that Ringo overdubbed the part at the end of Prudence so there's always some nitpicking going on. But it is said Martha My Dear and Do It In the Road are one man band performances. And one or both may be but it's possible that Paul grabbed Ringo to do a basic track or overdub and then ended up doing the rest. Just as it surprised me that George was playing on Wild Honey Pie.

12. BeatlesObsessive

It's just simple and effective. Not Guilty should have worked but didn't after significant effort(or at least two days of take after take). It's another That Means a Lot or Wait ... should have been a great Beatles song but they couldn't nail the feel amidst trying to work in some clever rhythms and stop start stuff. If they'd spent another day or two they probably could have brought forth another Harrison track as well but gave Ob La Di a week which is part of why they were disintegrating.

somnar likes this.
  13. BeatlesObsessive

A short disciplined 14 to 16 track album might have played better. Maybe they should have Use Your Illusioned it and released an album alongside Hey Jude in late summer and the rest alongside Across the Universe at Christmas. Perhaps things wouldn't have come to a head or things might have gone on a little longer. But this album is important as things did end up.. it's not perfect or highly professional. It is anarchic and as distinctive as a fingerprint. It is a record of a unique time that could not be captured literally so it's impressionistic! [end of honey pie]

ParloFax likes this.
  14. BeatlesObsessive

I know most disagree.. to me it's an album highlight. I think Paul and Ringo distinguish themselves as well. Wish they'd played on Goodnight as well or did a band version of it... A Hard Day's Night's missing 14th track?

Joseph LeVie and ParloFax like this.
  15. BeatlesObsessive

Stuck in his bungalow eating Brussels sprouts with his pesky friend always stopping by to paw off Rick Derringer's Les Paul or some guy showing him a Moog synth in his studio while he's trying to do Hare Krishna chants while trying to shag Ringo's wife and taking deliveries of imported joss sticks and saffron robes! Being wary of the Maya..or was Maya some cute hippie girl at the London krishna temple that he no doubt sidled up to and asked "so you're the one I'm supposed to be aware of..I'm George..."

16. BeatlesObsessive

Not to mention that harmony is where you find it. And melody is just one element of the rock songwriter's toolkit.
    Besides..words are just things McCartney hangs his stuff on.

17. BeatlesObsessive

...bonus track on 50th anniversary reissue.. there has to be a free day or two at Abbey Road this summer for some old times sake.

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

19. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Is that a slide guitar Paul is apparently playing? A first (for him on record) no?

20. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

It was not "written" in India, I do not believe. I always thought it was Paul and Ringo, and those 2 alone.

21. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

great point. absolutely.

22. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

wow..how not to have a clue.

numer9 likes this.
  23. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

very astute possibly.

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The best thing about this song is that it sets up...and contrasts so well...with the next song. The Beatles diversity, complexity, and ability to put things in context...is so often their saving grace.

25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

"Wow, you got hangups, man. Not cool."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.