Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

2. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Lucky Budd‏ @lucky_budd 3h3 hours ago
    Here is a sneak peek (#levidrome) of the new Grateful Dead box set designed by Roy Henry Vickers! How sweet is this??!! A traditional bent box with the many treasures inside! It will sell out very quickly! The art and music are just ... exactly perfect!!

[​IMG]

pablorkcz, Further, clgoss77 and 13 others like this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I'm not sure that two posts qualifies as being "hung-up". In fact, my first post was in response to several other members that had shared confusion about making changes to their own orders. I said in that post:

"Just a quick heads-up for those who may be considering a change to their orders."

I was simply trying to be helpful.

Plus, the customer ervice rep said this about my inquiry to cancel:

"Since it is a pre-order, we can look into seeing if we are able to gain approval to cancel the order so you can then reorder with the preferred items."

Sounds to me that cancellation is not so simple and I'm not getting a reply, and have never cancelled an order before.

Plus, this is not an order for just the LP set, it's an order for two "Complete" sets and the LP set. And if you read my first post I mentioned that the longer I'm delayed in being able to cancel, I'm concerned I will not be able to re-order the two "Complete" sets for fear of them selling out.

If that's "hung up" then color me hung up.

4. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks! That's what I'm trying to do but customer service is not making it easy. See my response above.

Kevin55 likes this.
  5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Looks like you might not be able to cancel. I know some places don't allow cancellation of limited pre-orders but I thought dead.net did.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

Thanx man, had no idea! BTW, I see you've got a cool new hairdoo :)
    (Evil Twin Brewing?)

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

Yeah, I'm confused, others seem to have had luck cancelling, been waiting to hear back from them all day. No biggie, but saving $50 on the LP box certainly makes the entire order more palatable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

9. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Exact same situation and response. But I went ahead and cancelled them reordered the box from dead.net and the lp from amazon UK. Nice and easy fix all things considered. And I can use that $45 for other goodies.

Also upgraded to expedited shipping to boot.

Another cancelling tip... there was a button on the bottom of my email that said "yes, please cancel". Thanked my cs rep and he said enjoy the music and sorry. Stress free. Not sure how to operate in this new dead.net world order.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The box set and art is stunning.

Something tells me it will sell out by end of next week. It will be a highly collectible item afterwards.

11. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

What is a "traditional bent box?"

Honestly, I'm not a fan of this design.

12. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

It's pretty but needs a little more GOGD in the design.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

NW First Peoples stuff.

ianuaditis and jazz_case like this.
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Glad you said it first. Going for the download! Me.
    Promised Land is not a meal though. You owe me two Mendy's. :D

15. A bentwood box. A box made out of a single plank of wood that is scored, steamed, and bent into shape. Used for storing dried smoked salmon, especially.

16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Bentwood boxes are unique to the Northwest Coast First Nations peoples of British Columbia. Bentwood boxes are used for symbolic and practical purposes. They can be used as burial boxes for ancestors, for storage of clothing and household items, for transporting goods, and even for cooking. The kerfing, or bending, form is made by selection of a thin, tight grained plank of red or yellow cedar. The wood is divided into four sections by carving a groove halfway through at the corners. The cedar plank is steamed, and then folded to form the four sides.

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I love NW First Nations design. I love 73-74 dead. This release is my dreams come true.

18. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Hmmmm.....

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  19. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

The traditional art aspect makes the design more interesting, for sure.

US Blues likes this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No skeletons? Wtf!!

;)

Ezzie, KCWhistle, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I agree on your first sentence - lovely. About the last sentence, I couldn't care less. I don't get off on exclusivity.

KCWhistle and bzfgt like this.
  22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

There's a skull on the lid. Not on the picture of the real bentwood box that Tom posted, but on the boxset picture posted before that.

Crispy Rob and Kevin55 like this.
  23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

For me this is an artifact, probably even more so than the Europe '72 box, because of the setting of the shows and their comfy quality. This might be the first box to not disappoint me in some way. :D

24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Now that’s a thing of beauty. I’d wager it picks up a Grammy nomination.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Kevin55 likes this.
  25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Nice - does not disappoint!!! Really great PNW mojo - maybe they’ll be including a slab of dried salmon?

But I do hope this is as sturdy and well- constructed as it is beautiful. While the more elaborate sets have been beautifully-designed, they have tended to be a bit fragile as executed. That is, would you really ever carry around the Europe ‘72 set in the mini-steamer trunk? And the thin balsa veneers-on-cardboard construction of the 30 Trips box is just too delicate. But they are both awesome designs - i especially like the Bergman “Wild Strawberries” motif of the 30 Trips box.

I am jazzed! (Btw, i ended up re-ordering w expedited shipping and then requesting customer service to cancel the first order - $4 extra is a no-brainer.)