Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's what I though too. So the article is incorrect.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

How is it incorrect?

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well read it.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

from the wiki page on the proposed acq.
    Included in the deal are the majority of 21st Century Fox's entertainment, international and regional sports assets.[1] These include:

Fox's broadcast, news and sports businesses will not be included in the deal and will be spun off into a new independent company to be owned by current 21st Century Fox shareholders (tentatively known as "New Fox").[3][78] They include:

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

More details here:

Disney to Buy 21st Century Fox Assets for $52.4 Billion in Historic Hollywood Merger

I think it's fair to say it's an ongoing negotiation, and the FCC may prevent Disney from owning some cable channels, TV stations, or networks because of monopoly laws. And there'll be a "due diligence" phase where they determine if the price they're paying is reasonable. This will be an ongoing process. 99% of what Disney wants is the I.P. and all the rights to the Fox library.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    SandAndGlass and Encuentro like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Comcast unveils $65 Billion all cash bid.

Comcast Unveils $65 Billion All-Cash Bid for Fox, Topping Walt Disney's Offer

"Any offer for Fox would be all-cash and at a premium to the value of the current all-share offer from Disney," the cable giant had previously said.
    Comcast Corp. has made it official, unveiling an all-cash bid for large chunks of 21st Century Fox, valued at about $65 billion, trumping The Walt Disney Co.'s deal that was originally valued at $52.4 billion deal for the same parts of the conglomerate controlled by the Murdoch family.

Comcast says its bid is 19 percent higher than Disney's, which would have put it at $62.4 billion, though Disney's bid involved stock, which means the price it offered has risen a bit as Disney shares trended a bit higher.

Analysts had said that Tuesday afternoon's court decision allowing telecom giant AT&T to acquire Time Warner was making a Fox bid from the cable giant, which owns NBCUniversal, likely. The bid disclosed on Wednesday is for $35 per share.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It would be pretty awful to have Crumcast, Universal, and Fox under one roof. Note that (as of today) Comcast has a market cap of $32 billion, and Disney has a market cap of $106 billion. I think Disney could crush them if they really, really wanted to. I think this is not so much a case of Comcast wanting Fox -- I think they want to completely F Disney. It's really about who's going to control the streaming market.

sunspot42 and longdist01 like this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Disney wants it to the point where they'll outbid Comcast because they want the IP and know they'll eventually get all that money back in revenue.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But the thing is, Comcast is offering "$65 billion all-cash." But they don't actually have the cash. So that tells me it's an "F you" reaction to Disney to force them to up the offer.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you know that Comcast doesn't have the cash then I'm sure Fox dos, and Disney does too and they won't take that bait.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think this is a game of chicken, and Comcast is pushing Disney to spend what most people know is more than they want to spend on Fox. Now they could just buy all of Fox, then just sell everything except the IP and the library, so the channels and all that other stuff could help pay for some of the sale. If Disney wound up with Star Wars, the rest of the Marvel characters, and the entire Fox film & TV library, that alone is worth an enormous amount of money.

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually, my suspicion is they're already paying more for Fox than it's worth. I don't think this content is going to be worth as much in the future as these companies are betting.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Disney will just raise the theme park ticket prices $10 and make up the money in a couple of years. :laugh:

And they'll price the "Ultimate Star Wars boxed 4K Blu-ray" sets at $395 for 9 movies and make a fortune. And make that the only way you can get the original versions of the 1970s-1980s films.

enro99 likes this.
  14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Could Disney put the set out at a great price & give it a "For a limited time" type promotion to make the money fast?

I think the content's value is higher by the fact that another company doesn't own it.

15. Comcast is prepared to pay even more in cash than this initial bid. They badly want Fox, as they need some content for their future streaming service. Disney's slumping stock price has made their bid much less attractive. Comcast is the betting favorite now for Fox.

The next 18-24 months are going to see more reorganization in Hollywood than the last thirty years combined. It's the great feeding frenzy for the coming streaming wars. No matter who gets Fox, there will be an immediate switch in focus to buying Paramount/Viacom. If Disney can't get Fox, it's rumored they will go after Viacom. Amazon and/or Netflix has been rumored going after Lionsgate.

Everyone wants their own library of content for their own streaming platform.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think most of these players would be better-served by blowing that kind of money creating their own content instead of buying libraries of stale content.

enro99 likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree, however that would take time, lots of it. They need to hit the ground running with lots of content to attract customers, as Netflix at al are already way ahead.

EdgardV likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It will be to Disney with all the ways they can use it (and I mean the first Star Wars movie and the Marvel properties that Fox owns). Theme parks, movies, and misc. merchandise. Disney has opportunities to monetize it that Comcast doesn't.

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Netflix has little original content. Disney already has tons. Comcast could use the Fox content more than Disney, but Comcast also has their cable network to leverage.

You see this kind of idiocy when corporations have more money than brains.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

o_O:confused:

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Compared to Disney, Netflix has virtually no content. Disney has a vast library. Netflix has produced a few TV series and I guess now a couple of films. Everything else streaming on Netflix comes from some content provider like Disney.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

More than just a few films and TV series. But in any case, I was replying to your call for these companies to spend money on producing their own, new, 'non-stale' content, as you put it:
    That's what Netflix does - it's virtually their whole business model, with some $7-8 billion being spent this year alone on original content.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's because unlike Netflix, Disney produces quality content that people want and has been doing so for 70+ years.

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

ESPN (ABC) and FOX sports all under one roof. NFL and NBA rights have already gone thru the roof. I'm sure we've seen nothing yet. Fox Sports has also planted its feet in Soccer (I believe they have the next World Cup) as well.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes. You might like to read this article:

What the Disney-Fox deal means for ESPN, Fox Sports, and RSNs