Which solo Beatles albums are better than actual Beatles albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Also on this note.
    Saying so solo Beatles album is as good or better is like saying no other artist's albums have ever been better than Beatles albums.
    McCartney as a solo artist is one of the most celebrated and successful non Beatles artist ever.
    Certainly, if we can state plenty of non former Beatles have albums better than some Beatles albums than we can assume Paul has too, since he was more the artist in his post Beatles days as most.
    Lennon had his moments too as a solo artist and was no worse than many artists who have albums better than some Beatles albums.

2. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

They're ob great but: no, no,and yeah, sure ,I guess.
    The only real LPs I would rank those over are: PPM and maybe, just maybe, Beatles for Sale (but on the strengths of :No Reply, I'm a Loser, and I'll Follow the Sun probably not).

3. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

But they were/are not better than a Beatles album in my view. None of them are in the running. Its just my opinion. :)

4. Price.pittsburgh

Do you really think the entire Beatles For Sale album or With The Beatles are better than those albums I mentioned?
    There's great stuff on BFS and WTB but a lot of average and filler.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Several 70's solo albums are better then all or some of the first 4 Beatles albums, some even better then a few later ones.
    Ram, Wings Wild Life, Band On The Run, At The Speed of Sound, London Town, Back to the Egg.
    JL/Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Walls And Bridges
    All Things Must Pass, Living in a Material World, Extra Texture

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

With the very debatable exception of Plastic Ono Band, I would say none. The thing is, Lennon and McCartney were so formidable as writers and vocalists during the 60’s they were tough to top. If you take Beatles for Sale, which many regard as the weakest Beatles album, you would probably have to say that the writing is stronger on Plastic Ono Band - but those wonderful vocals on admittedly minor songs are so great.

So tonight she made me sad
    I . . . still . . . love . . . her . . .

mbleicher1 likes this.
  7. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

None.

RobNeil likes this.
  8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'd be more inclined to say that about Abbey Road.

I'd be brazen to say that John, Paul and George, at least, have released solo albums that are at least on par with The Beatles' records? But better than The Beatles' records? That would be a bit of a stretch, I think. For the record, IMO those albums would be Plastic Ono Band, Ram and All Things Must Pass. And even then, we'd probably be talking about those solo records in comparison with some of the "weaker" Beatles albums, like With The Beatles or Help!. I mean, POB, Ram and ATMP are great but they're not Revolver, y'dig?:D

But all this is subjective, really- all a matter of personal opinion. Just make sure those opinions don't magically become "facts", people, we tend to call that sorta thing "fake news" these days:laugh:

Beatle Ed likes this.
  9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. In my opinion Sgt. Pepper's, Rubber Soul, The Beatles are better, maybe Revolver, maybe Abbey Road and maybe Mystery Tour.
    And also actually I like Band on the Run more than AHDN, Help!, BFS, Let It Be and Yellow Submarine which is a good portion of the albums.

10. OptimisticGoat

I think the UK versions of those albums (which are what I regard as the canon) are absolutely brilliant. The solos you mention are very good. But the solo stuff in general is patchy. The Beatles albums (and catalogue) changed popular music in a series of steps. Not alone of course. None of the albums you mention had that sort of impact. IMHO of course

Beatle Ed likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

None.

Jimmy B. and OptimisticGoat like this.
  12. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I would put Venus and Mars and Plastic Ono Band up there with most Beatle records but neither are as good as Revolver or Rubber Soul.

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

If you prefer "Ringo" over Beatles albums then probably most of them!

Zeki likes this.
  14. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Better? I don't know. I do know that I listen to Ram far more than I listen to many Beatles albums.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I tend to listen to the solo albums more simply because over the years I've gotten so burned out on the actual Beatles records...

a customer and Fivebyfive like this.
  16. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

17. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

That's probably part of it. I once took a 10-year break from listening to any Beatles albums. Then a new bio of Lennon came out in 2008 and I went to a McCartney concert and I was obsessed all over again. I recommend a 10 year break though to gain a fresh perspective on the albums. Listening again after 10 years, some may decide the albums are not as great as they remembered but my experience was just the opposite. Now of course I'm bit burned out on Beatles albums again so ...

ohnothimagen likes this.
  18. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Personally, I find Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Some Time In NYC and Walls & Bridges preferable to all Beatles albums.

19. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Lol

20. Price.pittsburgh

Because they're Beatles albums they're brilliant as far as vibe goes but track for track they're not all as strong as many albums in history.

21. OptimisticGoat

Agreed. But those solo albums don’t enter the picture IMHO. Just accept the fact that the OP asked for our opinion. I would swap them all for a 1972 Beatles album.

22. OptimisticGoat

I have not. I am still hearing new stuff and don’t overplay them. They are just (brilliant) albums.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Beatle Ed likes this.
  23. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Band on the Run and All Things Must Pass are better than Please Please Me, With the Beatles, Beatles for Sale and Help.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's not on the same level as Abbey Road but it's certainly better than any other solo Beatles album.

Plastic Ono Band is the one solo album that is arguably better than a few Beatles albums - except the key albums from 65-69.

Aftermath likes this.
  25. Cushlamay

Cushlamay Forum Resident

None. The only ones that are contenders because they are different are Shaved Fish and All things must pass. And the top contender Band on the run. But not the Beatles so nonsense really . Thank goodness there was secondary output.
    I listen to band on the run more often then most of my Beatles albums just because....

OptimisticGoat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.