Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue" Song By Song Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvertrain

Silvertrain Forum Resident

Love Dance pt 1, great funky groove. Like it better than If I Was A Dancer with all them lyrics. There's even a completely intrumental version of it which came on a promo 12 inch. As far as I know that one has yet to be released on CD.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

A man decides to go on a vacation on a Pacific island. When he steps off the plane, it is amazing: Cool, light ocean breeze, palms gently swaying in the wind, white sandy beaches, drums off in the distance. He goes to his hotel, checks in, starts having the time of his life.

When he turns in on the first night, he can still hear drums off in the distance. They were charming at first, but now it's little annoying, and he has a hard time going to sleep. The next morning, he goes to concierge and asks about the drums. The concierge replies: "The drums, they never stop. Very, very bad if they stop."

So the man goes about his day in paradise, having a great time, but the drums never stop. He tries to ignore them, but they interfere with his sleep the second night. The next morning, fuzzy-headed from too many island drinks and too little sleep, again asks the concierge if something can be done about the drums. He gets the same reply: "Drums not stop. Very bad if they do."

The rest of the day is not fun. The drums are driving this man crazy, and he isn't getting any sleep. The next day he is ready leave. He packs his bags and goes up to the front desk to check out. But first the man finds the concierge to give the concierge a piece of his mind. Suddenly, the drums stop.

He says to the concierge: "They finally stopped! Thank god, I can get some sleep. I was about the leave."

The concierge says: "This is bad. Very, very bad. Flee from this island while you still can."

"Why?"

"Drums stop. Bass solo next."

Alien Reg, Sherman, Sean and 16 others like this.
  3. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

From the Wiki page:
    A Bigger Splash is a 2015 drama film directed by Luca Guadagnino and written by Alain Page and David Kajganich. Loosely based on the 1969 Jacques Deray film La Piscine[3] and named after the David Hockney painting,[4] the film stars Tilda Swinton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Ralph Fiennes, and Dakota Johnson. It is the second installment in Guadagnino's self-described Desire trilogy, following I Am Love (2009) and preceding Call Me by Your Name (2017). It competed for the Golden Lion at the 72nd Venice International Film Festival.[5][6]

The movie was a bomb I believe, at least in the U.S. But "A Bigger Splash" is a great movie with Tilda Swinton as an aging rock star. The Rolling Stones' "Emotional Rescue" plays a pivotal role in the film, almost like a minor character.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Dance Pt. 1 is a classic and the darker, perfect sequel to "Miss You." Promising start to a very lumpy album. Looking forward to the thread...

ohnothimagen and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Hope no one minds me putting this here..I normally don't enjoy remixes but I've had this on rotation for many years now. I think it's done very well and perfect to add to a workout/run playlist!

Rolling Stones - Dance (Pt.1) [Moto edit]

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

I've only ever heard the original Canadian WEA pressings, I think. They sound good. I've owned three different copies of Emotional Rescue on LP over the years, all bought secondhand, and not one had the poster:realmad:
    Cool, as a bass player myself I guess that lets me off the hook...phew!:laugh:
    Emotional Rescue may have come out in 1980 but it's definitely one of those "70's hangover" albums- it certainly doesn't sound "80's". Stands to reason, I suppose, considering it was recorded in '78/'79...

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Love the album. Love the album cover.

JerryBlue, Sean, bagofsoup and 3 others like this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Wow, you and I are one of three people I've seen online that like the cover; I actually dig the thermography.

Also, your avatar rules! Pigpen, probably my favorite member of the Dead.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    JerryBlue and bonus like this.
  9. ohnothimagen

I don't mind the Emotional Rescue album cover, but I find the use of the thermographic imaging in the accompanying music videos extremely annoying.

10. I bought it when first released. I thought it was their weakest album to date and ignored it for many years. I came back to it a couple of years ago and enjoy quite a bit today.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Ditto; while still not as good as what came before it, it’s really not a bad record.

O Don Piano and ohnothimagen like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

Summer Romance

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
    Recording date: August-September 1978, June 1979-January 1980 & April 1980
    Recording locations: RCA Studios, Los Angeles, USA; Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France; and Electric Lady Studios, New York, USA
    Producers: The Glimmer Twins Associate producer & chief engineer: Chris Kimsey
    Never performed onstage

[​IMG]

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts
    Bass: Ron Wood
    Electric guitars: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards (incl. solo) & Ron Wood
    Lead vocals: Mick Jagger
    Background vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
    Piano: Ian Stewart

Just a few days and you'll be back in your school
    I'll be sitting around by the swimming pool
    You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym
    And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking

It's over now, it's a summer romance and it's through

Just a few days and you'll be back in your class
    Sucking up the teacher and trying to get an A... Pass
    You're trying to hide your make-up and you're trying to flash your legs
    Yeah, no sympathy from your spotty friends

It's over now, it's a summer romance and it's through - over, over, summer romance
    I can't help myself, I can't help it if I'm older than you - over, over, summer romance
    I can't help myself, help it if I'm older than you - over, over, summer romance

I need money so much, I need money so bad
    And I can't be your mama, I don't want to be your dad
    I'm a serious man, I've got serious lusts
    I'm going to have to do away with this greasy kid stuff

I can't help myself, I can't help it if I'm older than you - over, over, summer romance
    It's just a summer romance, a summer romance and it's through - over, over, summer romance
    It's over now, it's a summer romance and it's through - over, over, summer romance

Over, over, summer romance
    Over, over
    Over, over
    Over, over
    Over, over - well, well, well, well, a summer romance
    Over, over - well, well, a summer romance
    Over, over - a summer romance
    Over, over
    Over, over - whoo
    Over, over
    Over, over

TrackTalk

Ron: Before I gave (Mick) guitar lessons, we wouldn't have had songs like Summer Romance, because of all that rhythm guitar.
    Mick: Well, that's all I can play (laughs).

- Ron Wood & Mick Jagger, 1980

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I know Kenin D.C. prefers this pressing. It does sound very fine IMO.

KeninDC and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. ohnothimagen

"Summer Romance", an uptempo track reminiscent of some of the faster Some Girls tracks, right down to the Mick Jagger rhythm guitar. I don't consider it a great Stones song by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not bad for what it is. Ron Wood is definitely playing bass here (I think it's him playing the guitar solo as well, and not Keith as attributed above). All these years I thought Mick was referring to the girl's "f--king friends" and not "spotty friends":laugh:

Sean, bagofsoup and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Cushlamay

Cushlamay Forum Resident

Hate to jump the queue but... Indian Girl and Down in a Hole are two of my favorite Stones tracks. Down in a hole was the b side to Emotional Rescue on the jukebox at the local watering hole. The only other b side that got that much airtime on that jukebox was Crazy Mama b side to Fool to cry.... As you were :)

The MEZ, Sean, quicksrt and 1 other person like this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Summer Romance - A more uptempo track that is average.

Sean, Zoot Marimba, Duke Fame and 2 others like this.
  17. All Down The Line

ER EH?
    Better than it's long held reputation!
    Yes a fun LP with a modern sheen and great sound. I don't spin it too often though when i do there are parts of virtually all the songs i can enjoy because, er, well because it's the Stones.
    My 3 x 1980 original LP's, all with posters are: Aussie, UK & Japanese white label promo.
    Notes on Stock Jap copy: Came in circular stickered shrink and unusually never had an Obi sash so don't search for one. Interestingly the poster (as opposed to all other countries pressings i have seen) is not matte but a very deluxe thick, heavy gloss. I also once saw a Jap promo vinyl ER wallet which i guess may have been part of a press pack if those things existed in Japan in 1980? I have US sheet music of both 45's plus the US Songbook, a badge, RS cover issue (as part reproduced earlier in the thread) and about 15 x 7" from the Lp, best of which is the "bandaged man" promo p/s from Japan. (France used the same artwork as did some promo stickers and trade advertisements. I like both the UK and Jap for sound and i don't think the promo copy sounds any better than the Jap stock copy i once sold.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  18. ohnothimagen

I'm wondering if you would be so kind as to mention/link some of the more worthy outtakes from the sessions. Seems to me that Emotional Rescue, like, say, Goats Head Soup or It's Only Rock And Roll, is another of those Stones albums that would have been improved on had they switched out a song or two.

We know "Claudine" was chopped from the album at the last minute but I know there were other tracks under consideration as well- just can't remember which ones...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Love this album. Summer Romance rocks plenty

20. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Love Emotional Rescue, so glad to see this thread!!!
    "Dance" part whatever, a great opener -- "Get up, get out, into something new" -- what a totally 80s line. The Stones were about the FUTURE, back then! Staying hip, current....I agree that it is a totally New York City vibe on this record, the NY of the "Ford To City: Drop Dead" era when all was decaying and rotten. Jagger's right when he mentions Lou Reed -- the only thing more New York than the Stones ca 1980 is mister reed for sure.

ER thread -- BRING IT!!!

OK seriously though, I remember buying this album when it came out and being a little let down after Some Girls...but the thing has staying power for sure. So many great songs and sounds.

Sean, Muggles, Zoot Marimba and 2 others like this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Glad that they saved some of the best material for the next album. ER is a 9.5 for me which is a real winner. Just a fun record that shows they still have the magic. TY ends up a 9.5 as well.

1978 to 1981 was a wonderful time for the Stones. Great sounding albums and the hits just kept on coming.

The MEZ, Muggles, duggan and 5 others like this.
  22. All Down The Line

Dance Pt.1- Underated as not typical Stones but a very contemporary and dare i say inventive guitar riff plus very cool sax and percussion.

Summer Romance- Very well played and all, though very safe and something the band could do in their sleep. Ok track & good fun, but makes Respectable & When The Whip Comes Down look like grammy contenders. Still there was far worse to come on another standard rocker on side 2.

23. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yep. It's a fun track, but average for the Stones. 3.5/5

24. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Summer Romance
    One of my personal favorites on the album. I've just always really enjoyed it. I like the melody and Mick's sassy delivery. This one had definitely been hanging around for several years because I recall that they played it during rehearsals for their performance on SNL in '78.

Ha! I love this bit. More fun self-awareness, as well as good insight into songs like "Summer Romance" and "Respectable" cropping up as the band began to play around with a three-guitar approach with Mick joining in on rhythm. Those songs are very indicative of this period for the band. I really like this one a lot. Fun.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Outtake from the sessions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.