SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

There is no free shipping on any of the 1/2 SACDs or records. Even if you bought 10 albums on the half price list, they will still charge shipping unfortunately. I wanted to pick up a couple SACDS but the lack of free shipping doesn't make it as tempting.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

$18.50 for shipping? That's a hellofalot, isn't it?

Just went to the Acoustic Sounds site. A $15.00 1/2 price SACD costs $17.50 to ship to the west coast? Crazy.

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I do. Media Mail shouldn't cost that much, if that's what they're planning to use. They don't say.

They could charge a flat fee for economy shipping, as they used to do.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I bought 8 AP albums that finished off the AP BN collection for me. At 25 bucks a piece and 16 bucks shipping that comes to a little over 27 dollars a piece for 50 dollar 45s. Went back and did the same thing with some sacds. Think I bought 9 0r 10. Came out to be about 16-17$ a piece.

If you are wanting to buy just one or two the shipping should be less than 16 or whatever. Call them and ask. Say you want to speak to Chad if all else fails. But I cant imagine them charging 18$ for one discounted item.

Of course Im sure the more you buy the better deal you get. But the shipping only fluctuated a dollar or two from me buying 5 or me buying 10 items.

Call em!

5. AnalogJ

I plan to. I had 5 records in the cart and the shipping charge was about $19.50, so reducing it by 2 records only reducing the charge by a buck. I'd like to take advantage of the sale, but the high shipping charges sure tarnishes it.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Incorrect.. I bought 4 45RPM's (the most expensive of which was $27.95...others were $25.00) and I paid ZERO shipping.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Did you enter the correct discount code? Anyway, I'll bet the sale helped the Nat collection a great deal!

8. AnalogJ

So, FYI, if you call, you can opt for Media Mail. Three 2-LP sets cost a mere $5.57 to ship to Salem, MA.

9. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

What is the code for the free shipping?

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't have it. It was in the original email I received and I have long ago deleted it.

11. Steve Hoffman

Just re-read this entire thread. Very nice thread, makes this place worthwhile, the in-studio photos, etc. really add a lot. What I wrote above is so true. It's sad.. Nothing exists like this anymore..

CBackley, aarsonbet, Ere and 9 others like this.
  12. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Well said.

McLover and paulmock like this.
  13. AnalogJ

Nice stuff.

It's interesting to note that the original stereo and mono mixes each bring out different lines in the orchestra. Add I've said before, it's worth hearing the mono, which I believe you can do with the SACD (I only have the 45s).

CBackley and Ere like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

The mono version is the record, the binaural version just an afterthought. We got lucky that it was done for stereo very well, but the mono is the album that went to #1 and stayed on the charts for over 90 weeks.

McLover, Galley, CBackley and 7 others like this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Curious why the mono was not used for the AP 45 rpm then??

16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m still working my way through this awesome thread (BTW, put me on the list of people fascinated by hearing about different takes, etc) so perhaps this gets discussed further...but why was there no reverb before 1952?

17. Steve Hoffman

Records and movies (and radio performances) were recorded and presented "dry." The idea was, whatever your listening space was, that would provide the ambiance. The music or speech had to come through clear and dry to be audible on playback machines of the day. Your local movie theater (especially if you sat in the back) added echo and reverb naturally so the soundtrack had to be bone dry.

This way of recording lasted until the upstart audiophiles (hi-fi hobbyists) complained that (in 1952) the weird little records from Europe sounded more "natural" with better acoustics that the releases from the USA. So, record makers and studios (Bill Putnam the first, at Universal, Chicago) started building echo chambers to add "Hi-Fi" to the recordings. Upstart Mercury Records started recording classical orchestras in actual halls instead of studios for natural reverb. That was that. By 1957, Hi-Fi meant tons of reverb on everything, even spoken word records. REVERB MEANT HI-FI to most people who collected records. To not have it meant the recording was somehow lacking..

McLover, vivresavie, Simon A and 5 others like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

What a coincidence, I was just listening to the DCC CD. Amazing life like vocals on this one!

Dave likes this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Is that mono or stereo?

20. Steve Hoffman

It's stereo, of course. My mix. The stereo version (remixed from the binaural 1/2" tape) has a true breath of life. The mono sounds like a recording. The mono was the hit, but the stereo is the version to listen to, holding your breath in wonder at the amazing sound.

McLover, iloveguitars, Dave and 7 others like this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Got it now, thanks. I have the AP 45rpm LP and was just wondering if I missed out on the best not having the SACD. I probably won't pay the high prices for the SACD of this title knowing this.

I have all the AP 45rpm LPs and the SACD's of "NKC Story" and "Trio". Fantastic sounding releases. We play them quite a bit in the evening.

CBackley and paulmock like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, Love Is The Thing has definitely become one of my top ten albums of all time, after getting hold of this fantastic album a few weeks ago in its stupendous SACD version and the sound on it could not be anymore beautiful, it's as if Nat were singing to you right in your own living room. Unfortunately for me and my wallet, I had to start seeking our all of these sonic delights on SACD that our host remastered and I just scored the hard to find Where Did Everyone Go? SACD on eBay yesterday as lots of people have bragged about that album being a sort of hidden gem in the Cole cannon. I have one left to get I guess, the After Midnight SACD and than my "Hoffman Collection" of Nat is complete and I will be a happy man!

.crystalised. and CBackley like this.
  23. Ere

Ere Senior Member

The stereo mixes on the 45 LPs are unique to them, IRRC, so those who only have the SACD stereo mixes are missing something.

CBackley likes this.
  24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thank you! That is fascinating.

25. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, for reasons which still stupefy me, I mixed "live" right on to lacquer from the three-track tape, no mixdown capture, just a unique mix especially for our 45 RPM vinyl release. Madness to attempt, can't believe it worked out. The genius of Kevin Gray was the mover behind this, rigging a 3 channel preview head to alert the lathe computer. One mistake by me in mixing, or the echo level or LA2a level was dialed in incorrectly and the lacquer had to be scrapped, the three-track tape rewound and the side started over. One mistake in plating and the lacquer was destroyed, the three-track tape reborrowed and the side redone.

Will probably never be done again!

McLover, AnalogJ, Ere and 7 others like this.