TRUTH & JANEY-1975 power trio psych rock. "No Rest For The Wicked"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Fine music from Billy Lee Janey--his son is carrying on the brilliant guitar playing of Billy Lee. an Iowa legend with international respect even today.

TRUTH & JANEY
    The cover alone should draw you in....selling for three figures in Europe where they are revered....great Iowa rock! Tommy (Zephyr) Bolin's home state too.

No Rest For The Wicked 1975

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keifspoon, DPM, Echoes71 and 3 others like this.
  2. lemonade kid

3. lemonade kid

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Their stuff is good. I have the reissues on cd.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. lemonade kid

The Janeys...Billy Lee & son, Bryce. two guitar gods!

[​IMG]

Here is Bryce and some samples...
    Cd's »

6. lemonade kid

Blues In My Soul by Bryce Janey....pretty fine stuff!

zphage likes this.
  7. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I discovered these guys this winter and played it quite a lot. Too bad the vinyl options are either expensive or (seemingly) sub-par.

8. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

The vinyl repress of No rest for the wicked from Rockadrome 2016 is alright.

9. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Discovered them a few years ago but never bought the album due to the sound quality being so poor. I might have to try and get my hands on the 2016 reissue if its an improvement.

10. lemonade kid

Do.

I have a vinyl reissue that is awesome. It was actually released on a small label in a white jacket (no art at all) that I got at an Iowa City vinyl shop -- Billy Lee Janey hangs out sometimes in Iowa City, a Cedar rapids boy...teaches guitar there too, or did. Wish I had met him when I was there, but I know those that have. A nice guy. Still rocks the blues guitar! Check out his son Bryce too!

[​IMG]

11. lemonade kid

Great live!

12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I don't have the studio album, been looking around for it for many years, but I did find a copy of the live album, Erupts!, on CD last week. It's got that same orange-toned version of the cover art in the OP. It's absolutely killer stuff and pretty well recorded, given the era and likely volume.

jay.dee likes this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

They, Bubblepuppy and Captain Beyond were good bands that could have gone farther if they'd had better label support.

Gumboo and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  14. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Totally. Good call with all three. Captain Beyond is my favorite of those, but I like 'em all.

You know what else Truth & Janey brings to mind? Population II by Randy Holden, the first solo album by the brief Blue Cheer guitarist. Anyone that's a fan of early '70s heavy psych or hard rock would do well by checking it out.

[​IMG]

SoKan61, Gumboo, unclefred and 2 others like this.
  15. Absolutely. I’ve picked up their two live LPs and studio album from Rockadrome in the last couple months.
    They get lots of spins in my house.

The light, Building walls and Birth of the Heart are my jams.

16. I’ll have to check out They and Bubblepuppy.

Captain Beyond is definitely awesome

17. lemonade kid

PM me. I HAVE IT.

18. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I hear a bit of Mountain with these guys, but with harmonies reminiscent of the early 70's group Gypsy. Good band.

19. lemonade kid

And some great new material:

Billy Lee Janey

20. lemonade kid

And this from 2016

chodad likes this.
  21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Their original LP is one of the greatest independent hard rock albums of the '70s (absolutely brilliant album cover as well.)

22. lemonade kid

Agreed. I have a nice reissued pressing vinyl from the 90's. On Montross reproduction label-- 1992, but no cover, so I made one myself for the blank white cardboard record jacket it came in.

This is a limited run official 2nd pressing released in 1992 by the band and a local record store. It was issued in plain white jacket with center hole. Labels are similar to original, but not exact and easily identified side by side. --discogs

Sounds great.

I was living in a town nearby Cedar Rapids Iowa.--where Truth & Janey was born. Found this at the great local vinyl store.

Wonderful stuff indeed.

[​IMG]

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

I have this vinyl reissue--signed by Randy.

He always thought a "glass" neck guitar would be cool--he th0ught standard necks slowed him down...his wife gave him a custom made glass neck guitar for his birthday. Actually the whole guitar is glass...I assume fiber glass.

Interview

[​IMG]

24. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Love this album! I scored a sealed original in perfect, unplayed condition for just $50 a few years ago. The seller had no idea what he was selling - so I certainly wasn't going to tell him!

25. lemonade kid

OMG! It goes for thousands in Europe where they are still appreciated and coveted. Or so I've read...great find!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.