Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"in a word: boring"?

Perhaps...?

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

perhaps, but not nearly as boring as that horrifically boring 'patrick melrose' show :)

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

But I'm sure not by much...

4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

So, what would be the difference in watching the 4K disc or the BluRay disc, it comes with both, is it basically watching it as BluRay no matter what?

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm sure:cheers:

6. I talked with somebody I know about this movie after I finally viewed it and I told her that I wasn't overly impressed. She was as big of a fan of the original as I was, but also loved the new one. She was rather surprised I didn't like 2049 as well. After a brief discussion, she said I should watch the Prologues, then watch the Film again. I finally got around to watching the prologues last night as well as most of the other Extras on the Blu ray disc.

I'll give the Film another shot soon. I did gain a new perspective after watching the 3 Shorts and other Extras. They put a lot of effort into this Film and extending the Universe created in the Original.

We'll see.........

7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

It always comes off a bit sketchy to me when one needs to do homework to properly enjoy a movie.

The nearest comparison to those prologues would be the Animatrix, but you can watch the Matrix movies without having seen that and the films still work.

Star Wars has been falling afoul of this as well. "Oh, it makes more sense if you read the novelization." Sorry, squire, but I check out when there's a reading assignment before I can even check out a movie.

The tale being told can be interesting as all get-out and the total picture can be great, but it still adds up to a sub-par cinematic experience if you need to offer supplemental material to tell the full story in some coherent way.

formu_la, bru87tr, Solaris and 2 others like this.
  8. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

2049 and Prometheus belong on a shelf in the same store room.

daglesj and mx20 like this.
  9. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Imo, despite its issues, 2049 is a significantly better film than Prometheus.

10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Seconded. I may not like the way in which 2049 continued the story, but Prometheus was an origin story nobody asked for. Alien: Covenant was even worse on that front.

Karnak likes this.
  11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

You don't need to watch the prologues, but you do need to read Nabakov's 'Pale Fire.'

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I tried....I really tried but.....youd have to clockwork orange me to keep me awake. l snoozola

13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

San Diego is known as 'America's Finest City'.

Not sure if anyone picked up on the joke, but someone in Hollywood apparently took offense to that and turned San Diego into LA's trash can.

14. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Finally got around to seeing this, and the whole thing struck me as so, so unnecessary. I can't think of another film I love that didn't need a sequel or prequel more than Blade Runner didn't.

I thought Gosling was fine, but no thanks.

CDV, daglesj and Runicen like this.
  15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't claim it was necessary or enhanced the original in any way. Minor but not awful or detracting at all from the original either.

bru87tr and Karnak like this.
  16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I enjoyed my first viewing. When I tried to watch it a second time, I thought I'd get even more out of it, but actually enjoyed it less.

The second time, I felt more that it was an overly mannered attempt to replicate the themes and mood of the first. It was beautiful to see and hear, but the characters didn't resonate like the first film's characters did.

Runicen and Hardy Melville like this.
  17. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I am not sure I entirely agree, but I looked forward to seeing it a second time and had the same reaction of enjoying it less. Not sure why...

K's holographic girlfriend, Joi, was well played by Ana de Armas, and I had no problem with the performances by Robin Wright and Harrison Ford. I guess Sylvia Hoeks was good as Luv, but the rest were mediocre, including Gosling, and Leto was quite problematic. That kind of inconsistent cast performance suggests that the director might have been at fault, but I really liked Villeneuve's work in Sicario and Arrival.

I also looked forward to the scenes in Las Vegas, and they were pretty good on second viewing. Not great, though.

I think on balance the problem was mostly with the writing and that the casting of Gosling was not compelling.

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I didn't find it boring.

19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

We made it. The original Blade Runner was set on this day in 2019.

[​IMG]

bru87tr, Old Rusty, jamesc and 13 others like this.
  20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Blade Runner 2049 - boring??

uh, no.

polchik, ssmith3046 and cwd like this.
  21. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I will continue to watch 2049, to pay attention to things I might have missed, and to, in a way, develop and further greater appreciation for the film. That said, I could choose to do that with any film of merit, and probably come away with a deeper appreciation.

I find it hard to have empathy for a hologram, or for a guy, or an android, that wants a (long term) relationship with one. That was and is a bridge to far for me.

As for the plot line, I still haven't grasped fully, how Luv was able to enter the police station and murder an employee, and, later, come back and gain access, and walk right in to Lt. Joshi's office. The film should have explained that possibility better, so that it wasn't such a WTF moment.

22. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

"Unnecessary" is a good way of putting it. There are lots of little things to enjoy along the way, but to me it doesn't add up to much more than eye candy at the end. Zimmer's obnoxious score, as I've mentioned in this thread before, still annoys me, and I haven't seen the film since it came out.

Arrival was so good, too.

beccabear67 likes this.
  23. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

I've seen the BluRay at least 4 times now, and in the cinema twice. It's a fine piece of work, I really like it.

polchik, GreggF, saturdayboy and 3 others like this.
  24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I watched BLADE RUNNER 2049 again after being disappointed in the theater. It didn't improve with additional viewing.

Once again, we're presented with a movie in which all the characters can track, locate and shadow all the other characters, until it becomes convenient to the narrative that they can't. (The PKD-inspired TV show, THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE, took this trope to such absurd levels that this huge PKD fan abandoned it in Season Two.)

This bit of silliness is especially annoying in the future world depicted in 2049, as we see plenty of self-propelled drones, self-flying cars and artificial intelligences everywhere.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That's funny (to me), I'm also a big PKD fan and basically just had to bale on that show, it just didn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.