Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, some recordings may not use a piano, then the person with the best pitch (Keith? Mick Taylor?) would determine what the rest of the band played, and some recordings may be off pitch. But if the recording uses piano, in a top recording studio, there would have been a piano that had been tuned regularly. So . . . . whenever the Stones recorded a track that included piano at a top notch recording studio I would think that the odds are that the track is in tune.

I played in the orchestra for years and you know the reason orchestras play in proper pitch? It’s because everyone tunes to the guy playing first oboe. So prior to the show, the first oboe needs to be sure his instrument is playing in perfect pitch. Well, that was years ago - maybe people use electronic tuners these days.

2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The Stones site shipped mine today, hoping to get it for release date tomorrow.

3. Jackflash27

Jackflash27 Forum Resident

btltez and SonicSorcerer like this.
  4. Jackflash27

Jackflash27 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    SonicSorcerer and MRamble like this.
  5. Eduberto Palitroke

Eduberto Palitroke Well-Known Member

This common place about throwing Voodoo Lounge under the bus, while praising boring albums such as IORR, just for the hype of vintage-taylorism is so boring, to me, at least.

Voodoo Lounge is a great album and if they had kept all the later era ones about 40 minutes long, including those cool outtakes (The storm, I'm gonna drive, etc.), 90's would have been comparable to the 70's.

robtodd likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Almost always? No they don’t. Especially almost 50 yrs ago.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The point is you/we don’t know what version is the correct intended pitch or the pitch at which it was recorded. And certainly not to .3% of certainty.

OldSoul and lukpac like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Bit different than what you guys are talking about but..

Many musicians dont like things "in tune". Try tuning Dylan's guitar for him and see how fast you get the smack down. Well, I mean if you could actually touch his guitar.

Some bands like that jangling honky tonk bar room sound on a piano. Perfection, thankfully, wasnt what rock n roll was with the Stones and many 60s bands.

If I want that Ill put on Steely Dan.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think I know what was intended if only Richard Whitaker’s transfers run off pitch. If, as someone else said, all of the FC Mastering transfers consistently run slower than all previously released versions then I also have my opinion about what probably happened.

Regardless, I don’t really care because I compared the SACD to a handful of my fifteen or sixteen versions of Exile, and I couldn’t hear the pitch difference. I thought the SACD was the best sounding digital version.

[​IMG]

10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Damn I guess it's safe to say that is your favorite Stones LP

mestreech likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agreed with another post that mentioned that rock bands pre tuner technology didn’t always have pianos in their music so they could easily be off pitch and I agreed. Music with Orchestras is presumably always on pitch. At least the orchestras I have played in were because the first oboe made sure he/she was playing correct pitch. And my orchestras were just school orchestras.

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m sure sound quality reviews here will vary widely. I’ve got most of this set cleaned up and I’ve had a bit of time to listen. I’m just finishing Exile. I know the Artisan is kind of the standard (I have three). I never bothered with any of the recent reissues. I really enjoyed the copy from the box. The vinyl is flat and more quiet than even my best Artisan. It sounds good to me and has plenty of what others here are calling vibe (life).

Many will prefer the Artisan, I’m sure. Maybe me too. I really wouldn’t hesitate to throw this one on though, especially if I want dead quiet vinyl. I think this may bode well for this box. Especially since Showell himself said the sound really gets a lot better post Black And Blue.

13. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

And here too!

xfilian and SonicSorcerer like this.
  14. I want to know if Goats Head uses the censored US lyrics on Star Star or if it uses the UK uncensored

OldSoul and ssmith3046 like this.
  15. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I'm tired of these damn box sets coming out. I can never afford them. I bought The ABCKO box set. 1964-1969 when it first came out. I held back on the 1971-2005 set because of the reviews. I have all the originals up to Steel Wheels. I only need about 4 albums. Why don't they just release the albums individualy for fans like me? I know we're out here. But they'll just doing what they are doing. For me. It's just not worth my time or my money. No thanks. I do however, love the SHM Platinum cds of these. They are highly recommended. Hopefully for all you guys who are buying this set, it will be of top quality and we can all be done with Rolling Stones Vinyl.

KinkySmallFace1991 and mpayan like this.
  16. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

Still waiting on shipping confirmation from Amazon.

OldSoul likes this.
  17. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Received my copy from Elusive Disc today. Very well protected. LP box in sturdy thick box then re-boxed with Styrofoam surrounding by Elusive Disc. Arrived in pristine condition. Limited number 767. Spinning "Black and Blue" now.

FLF and btltez like this.
  18. Sounds cool. Too bad that one B&B album sounded terrible when it first come out. Is it any better or loud compressed and the same ?

19. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Same here

OldSoul likes this.
  20. I’m in Seattle and I expect my notice to come over night with one of their drivers or indies delivering it tomorrow.

21. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Sorry to interrupt, but I always felt B&B was one of their best sounding lps, dynamics are superb.

22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I guess I would say uncensored. The F word certainly flies around like it was no big deal. The record also sounds pretty damn good. I’ve always loved the song Angie. The guitar really rings through on that song.

23. Oh my mistake. Yes you are correct. Black & Blue does sound great. I was thinking of that very last Blues album they made. Blue and Lonesome.

Got my blues mixed up. :tiphat:

John Grimes likes this.
  24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's not the F word that was censored (except in South Africa). Do you hear the P word or the lyric about John Wayne clearly, or is there a guitar lick over the John Wayne lyric?

25. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

#2830 arrived here in Nyc.
    packaging is outstanding! The box itself, The covers, inserts, inserts, etc. really awsome presentation.
    Cranking Exile now- I love my Artisan, but this version really kicks.
    so far- IMO- looking really good

SonicSorcerer, Goldy, MRamble and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.