Music Direct - Promotions

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by George P, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Though I hear ya, Mike, one could also conclude that if they are in business to make a profit, then Acoustic would want to match their competitor's discount.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Which would cut into their profits. Seems they know what they're doing just as it is.

3. George P

Can't say that this is the case here. Anything people can buy from Music Direct instead (for 5% more) off, people will buy there. And Acoustic won't get a penny from that.

4. Myke

Yes, but you have to remember that extra 5% only applies to what they deem eligible.
    Example : Skynyrd's Second Helping, 2 X 45 rpm AP is now 15% off at AS, 10% off at MD, because it's not on the very short list of eligible 45 rpm releases at MD.

5. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I did grab what I wanted. Now with more money I wanted to spend more but I'll just adjust what I want and get what I can at MD.

6. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

MYKE, I'll let @George P speak for himself, but for me, the reason always has been that I wasn't smart enough.
    Now you have my full attention. My stereo store often sold stuff at retail. My best margin for a year was 43 points, which we did a couple of years in a row, and that was without service contracts. I know how to make money. There is no shame in pricing things for retail.

Everyone needs a deal. For some folks it's having the stuff in stock (see any Soundstage Direct thread). For many, it's a consistent, reliable price of 10% off (Anybody else remember buying from Soundstage Direct because we had the exclusive Steve Hoffman code that got us 12% off any day of the week?). Other people want the Big Deal. They'll wait for a super sale to happen, and there are websites I operate this way.

For me, with Music Direct, two weeks ago was free shipping on a bottle of Audio Intelligent #6 record cleaning fluid I wanted right now. By including it with a pre-order for a couple of records which I got 10% off and don't have to pay for until they are released, I got my voodoo juice shipped for free and everything else was a bet against the pass line. We'll see what the shooter rolls but I have my fluid. In my eyes, I've won.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  7. Myke

@ggergm - On May 29th, I ordered the AP 2 X 45 of Elvis Is Back at 20% off, w/free shipping. It clearly states 4 - 6 weeks for delivery, which suits me fine, as I'm in no hurry to have another $50 charge, that I need to pay in full when my pension check gets here, so yes, I understand completely.
    :tiphat:

ggergm likes this.
  8. George P

He was actually talking to someone else.

ggergm likes this.
  9. George P

For me, if Music Direct has a 20% sale that includes their own stuff (the Mofi SACDs), then it seems logical for their competitor, Acoustic Sounds to offer their own stuff (AP SACDs) for 20% off as well, to remain competitive.

Twinsfan007, Blair G. and ggergm like this.
  10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

20% fathers day sale

11. George P

If I order a bunch of SACDs from Music Direct and one of the SACDs is a pre-order and the whole order qualifies for free shipping, do they ship the stuff that is in stock for free right away AND ship the pre-order for free once it is in stock?

12. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

I believe so. They did that for me with some accessories I purchased. Just shoot them an email. They are very responsive.

clhboa and George P like this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

This promo code works on pre orders for the upcoming Mofi SACD Miles Smiles by Miles Davis, the AP SACD Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix and regular priced Mofi SACDs.

hutlock and Briskit like this.
  14. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

"Fire...the nuclear weapons!!!"

15. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

What happened to the days of 20% off? They'll have a hard time getting my money at only 15%.

16. Twinsfan007

Patience you grasshopper. Wait until black Friday weekend. They are hoping you blow your load now so that they won't be able to spend when the 20% off is happening.

Nrochie4184 and lightbulb like this.
  17. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

We'll see. I have a theory that Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc have agreed to no longer do 20% off. They no longer have Soundstage Direct to compete with, and don't want to end up like them.

MartyTem and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I agree
    And so many discs “Not Eligible For Further Discount”
    Plus rarely available at places like ImportCDs etc. And if so at inflated prices
    Seems obvious they’re trying to preserve a larger profit margin

19. Twinsfan007

I would agree with you, however, someone said in another thread that they called Acousticsounds last week and were told that they were going to do 20% on black Friday.

20. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I15% is not going to cut it. Holding out for 20%.

masterbucket likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.