Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Just received tracking from Amazon. It will be delivered Monday by UPS.

superstar19 likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Nah. The core albums are too common. I don’t see it in the same league as the Beatles mono box.
    By the way $179 is about what this set should be priced at IMO.

3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

179 ! Come on, I’ve got the Beatles mono as well but this set top draw. Not as well done as the two Beatles boxes though agreed.

superstar19 likes this.
  4. Yeah I doubt any major (or minor) artist is gonna sell vinyl for about $9 a record in 2018. :tiphat:

Carl80, superstar19 and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Just got the box from MD.

I will not comment on the package, printing quality, etc, as has already been described and fully agree that is great. I made a few comparisons with what I previously had. The big (in the sense of "not good" surprise is Steel Wheels)

Sticky Fingers- Better than my Japan Platinum SHM-CD

Exile on Main Street- Better than the last Abbey Road half speed.

GHS- Better than my Japan Platinum SHM-CD

IORR- Nothing to compare against, but sounded muffled to me.

B&B- Excellent, open sound, much better than my Japan Platinum SHM-CD

Some Girls- Better than my Virgin 1994 CD

Emotional Rescue- Excellent, open sound, much better than my Japan Platinum SHM-CD

Tattoo You- On par with my original US LP pressing.

Undercover- Undecided. Seems more balanced than my original US LP pressing.

Dirty Work- On par with my original US LP pressing.

Steel Wheels- Horrors of horrors. Seems like they got the wrong master tape. "Mixed Emotions" sounds like a different mix. Ditto for "Almost hear you sigh". I wonder if they got the right master tape. I prefer much my US original pressing.

Voodoo lounge- Similar to my original Virgin LP

Bridges to Babylon- Nothing to compare against

ABB- Nothing to compare against

B&L- Nothing to compare against

Overall happy with the set, except a couple of disappointments. Interested to know if someone agrees with my "Steel Wheels" assessment.

Have a good weekend.

mbrownp1, Dbstay, Carl80 and 8 others like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe not but that’s what I paid for the Stones mono box.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Can you elaborate on your analysis of Steel Wheels?

8. Mine at Amazon now says it’s next Wednesday for me. Might have to look for some Billy Joel in the meantime.

I kid :tiphat:

Michael D, rednedtugent, Red and 5 others like this.
  9. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

Are you guys finding flat discs? Out of 11 that I have tested only two are flat, the others have tone arm "bounce" some more that others.

10. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I agree, the Beatles mono vinyl box is an anomaly tho and it doesn't exist in a vacuum. The record companies know all about it. Trick is getting the same return & cache without spending as much.

11. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Instrument balance is quite different in "Mixed Emotions". You can clearly hear an Organ right at the beginning, whereas the original does not have it. Sounds like a different mix.

The Beave and OldSoul like this.
  12. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

My God. What files did Miles pick from the hard drive for Steel Wheels? You're not the only one with remixed emotions.

luckyno13, aoxomoxoa, Dbstay and 7 others like this.
  13. OldSoul

Well, that's certainly strange. I thought Miles was comparing everything to original releases. How did he not catch this?

14. OldSoul

Does it sound like this?!

15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Haha if they tagged on the extended mix on there that'd be something

mick_sh and OldSoul like this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

That Mixed Emotions is plain terrible, but let's hope for the Keith vocal version of AHYS. Way better than Mick's. :p

MRamble likes this.
  17. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Just looked again in my US ordered
    box and there is no downloads card although it says so on the cover of the box.

Thanks for the comparisons. Have you slept in the past 24 hrs to do so!
    Since you don't have a comparison to IORR, I did compare it to a near mint UK original copy I have. The UK copy has deeper punchier base (visceral one, I can feel it more than the 2018 LP) and a crisper highs. So your assessment of being a bit muffled is right to my ears.

18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

We need more info on this Mixed Emotions thing, please. Just listened to the song with headphones, original UK vinyl, also the promo video on Youtube, there is no organ to be heard there.

MRamble and OldSoul like this.
  19. Yes we do. But I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t even notice either way if you didn’t point it out. But I don’t have the record so imbedded in my head.

Christopher B and mick_sh like this.
  20. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I just threw on Steel Wheels- Mixed Emotions- and yeah I hear it as well. The organ is there on this version and not on my original.
    The new 1/2 speed doesn't sound bad, but the original sounds more open and lively. Original Steel Wheels most likely recorded digital.(?)

I also listened to Black and Blue and while it's really nice- well it's hard to ruin it really-
    I have to say, my original US beats it for me. Must be the analog goodness shinning through, but we all knew
    the original Black and Blue would be hard to best.

I'm done for tonight. more later.

21. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Mine from Amazon is also now shipped and will be here Monday. I’m psyched to give these a listen as I only have Exile and Sticky Fingers on vinyl already.

Turbo2k, Goldy and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Funny how some are so dismissive about those of us that want a download code. Not everyone who buys this set is a diehard fan that has multiple copies of every Stones album.

I don’t care if you paid $400 or $10, the fact is that all the literature (including on the back of the box) states that a code is included.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Deano6, Carl80, bubba-ho-tep and 2 others like this.
  23. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

~~~You can’t always get what you want~~~

24. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Just got my box from Collectors Choice. Ummmm...wow. This, just visually, is a very nice product. As for sound, I’ve only listened to Sticky Fingers. And it amazes me how different this mastering sounds on my setup compared to a late 70s US and a TML UK for export first pressing. Dare I say it sounds more “accurate?” Definitely doesn’t have the growl and balls but, to my ears, I’m guessing this is closer to what the actual recording sounded like.

The Beave, Tommyboy, Carl80 and 2 others like this.
  25. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

No one else received warps?