Is rock out of the conversation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pathosdrama, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

You realize that bossa has enjoyed a major resurgence since the late 1990s, correct?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    the pope ondine likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

ok ... really old thread...

As far as music goes, all my life people are saying this and that are dead, but essentially they just morph into something else.

3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Long Live Rock, be it dead or alive

4. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

I love 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's era music. Popular music took a very drastic turn for the worse after the 1996 Telecommunications Act was passed. The effects started being felt big time in 1998 (packaged boy bands, Britney, Christina A etc). Much easier to market and control pop and rap than it is rock. Can guarantee a return on your investment when the fix is in. Rock bands/artists much more risky investment. Rock didn't stand a chance from that point on. There's still some quality rock music being made (electric rock guitar will never die off entirely imo) but unlike from the 50's-90's you have to actively search for it - you're not going to hear it otherwise.

altaeria, mark winstanley and DTK like this.
  5. mark winstanley

there are plenty of people making guitar oriented music, that could well be called rock ... whether someone likes it or not is very subjective, whether it charts or not really depends on current trends and fashions and marketing.

i remember people saying disco was dead, but really it morphed into techno, kind of, with some form of hybrid mating with kraftwork and bands of their line, got washed through the new romantic movement and ended up somewhere else.

apparently punk killed or revitalised rock, depending on your perspective, but all through the 80's, 90' and the 00's there was good rock ... i am so busy catching up with stuff that i missed over the last 40 or so years, it may not actually matter to me too much if there is nothing coming out currently, but i'm sure there is ... and again i will get around to it.

i am less concerned about good "rock music" as i am about good heartfelt music ... and i definitely started out as a rock guy in my teens

LilacTeardrop and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

And people think it was a natural evolution...

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

For real! Budgets and audience exceed those of movies now. They are also very addictive.

8. mark winstanley

i had one for a while, way way back (megadrive/genesis) but it took too much time away from playing and listening to music. I'm amazed how many people my age now consider themselves gamers ....
    i actually used the "music" game or whatever it was, to cheaply use as a sequencer for a weird album i made back in 1999 lol

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

All I ever played was Tomb Raider 2 :D. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I wasn't bothered about playing anything else.

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nah.....that's nice but im talking the 50's- 60's when every artist trotted out some bossa nova because we couldn't get enough. you could ask your average housewife and she could hum a few tunes...

[​IMG]

DTK and mark winstanley like this.
  11. mark winstanley

i got hooked on sonic and got that little hedgehog all the way home ... it was many bongs and about a twelve hour game hahaha ... oh my young days .... but i had a six changer cd player full of zappa, zeppelin, sabbath etc .. so i still had my music going

12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Lots of young, beautiful international jet setters can hum plenty of Ibiza lounge chillout classics. These are people who have never heard of Stephen Bishop.

Joti Cover and the pope ondine like this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ahh maybe ill meet them down in Jamaica

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What a shame, too!

15. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wait a second, this is interesting.
    Can you further explain this correlation?

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

17. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

18. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Be careful. They steal your money then they break your heart.

19. obasaz

obasaz Forum Resident

Perhaps a much more compelling obliteration of this is the fact that former teen pop star boy bander Justin Timberlake used tabloids, music videos with far more famous ex-girlfriend look-a-likes talking about far more famous ex-girlfriend's sex life on the radio rather than talent to start his solo career.

Dear Justin Timberlake, Just ****ing Stop

He made the choice to start his solo career that way so there should never ever be an issue with bringing this when everone wants to.

Besides the irrefutability of Britney Spears creating this less famous former boy bander's solo career is the fact that Justin Timberlake should have gone the way of Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys and of same label Jive Records.

Nick Carter or any of the Backstreet Boys could have easily had the solo career of the former teen boy-bander by hooking up with the right (urban) producers but Britney Spears had to 'bless' his career.

Maybe Britney Spears never felt the need to mature as an artist because she was too busy being an extremely successful entrepreneur.

Till this day, I still don't know why/how people don't think this woman's (undeniably massive) success is karma.

20. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

My girlfriend and I are both 33, so we're technically both part of the generation that favors what I call "yo dawg/club s**t" music, and yet...

1) She asked me to make mix DISCS for her

2) She personally went through my iTunes list, selecting songs she wanted...Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Don Henley, Steve Winwood, Tom Petty, Better Than Ezra, and John Mellencamp all went on her last mix CD.

3) She skipped right over anything I had that was of the time (i.e., DMX, Eminem, things like that)

Rock is not dead in our house. Contemporary rock? Pretty much. The more we talk about it, we've noticed there really is no Public Enemy or John Mellencamp or Bruce or anyone sending a message these days. I've turned to things like YouTube to find music with some kind of message that doesn't involve firearms, rims, or hot guys in a $300 shirt. It's in short supply on FM.

21. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I'm gonna trot out my usual "the internet exploded genres like a big bang" theory again; planet rock is still in the music galaxy, which is still expanding, but it's not the overriding thing no mo'.

I can tell you though, that I know lots of rock musicians; some are too young to drink, haha; if I wanted to go to an open mic night tonight and hear, for example, decent covers of Fleetwood Mac or the Kinks or Led Zep, I know a place, and I won't be alone. And that's before I factor in I go to a couple of festivals a year, and my own tastes are like 85% rock, and again, it isn't a lonely time!

I don't get the impression it's gone away until I switch on the radio, look at the charts, or switch on the TV.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Electronics rules over rock. So do burlesque shows with lots of dancers. And rap also rules over rock, repackaged as hip hop. Welcome to 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.