LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Is the mastering different for the alternate stereo mix and bonus tracks compared to the 2 disc deluxe edition? More compression, etc?

2. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

I believe this review answers your question - click here.

3. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Sounds like you've talked yourself out of grabbing this. If there's not enough "new" material here for you, I understand that.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Since I have two previous Rhino reissues on CD (expanded single CD and the 2-CD "Collectors Edition"), the driving motivation for my purchase was to get the new Bruce Botnick remaster on LP. But that was enough! :D

5. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

It was enough for me too and even though I have an original mono pressing, I wanted that on CD as well.

dkmonroe likes this.
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Found a vendor selling it for $53 new so I finally bit the bullet. The DVD reviews swayed me!

7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Same mastering for the alternate stereo mix album. Wonder People alternate mix has peaks shaved vs the 2001 CD (this track appeared on the alternate mix cassette but was not included in Steve's mastering of the alternate mix album. The 2008 2CD included the original mix of this track while the 2001 CD included the alternate mix). I can't remember if I did any comparisons on the 4th CD material.

8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I’ve been such a fan of this album for so long that I would buy it if Rhino put ‘Forever Changes’ flexi-discs on the back of Quisp cereal boxes.

9. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Got this from Michael about the video, "Your Mind & We Belong Together", (I wondered if there was a lot more footage of the band than ended up in the music video)...and how Michael got rid of his beloved Mustang. He saw the billboard for Forever Changes while cruising LA in 1967 ...with Bryan I believe. I forget. Bryan was upset that Michael seemed to get the center spot (center stage) in the iconic art for the album cover.
    [​IMG]

Michael:

"And I had the coolest '65 Mustang ever built. It was the GT model, silver with red racing stripes, chrome rims, glass packed duel exhaust and super fast off the line. It was by far the nicest car on on the entire Coberly Ford lot. As soon as I started it up I knew it was the one. Sadly I only kept it 3 years, then I sold it to my parents who gave it to my sister for graduation. I thought I had to have a Porsche.

If I'm not mistaken, the video clips they used for "Your Mind and We Belong Together" are the same ones that were filmed by the young dudes (I thought they were UCLA film students but maybe not). You know...they showed up that day and nobody was home at Arthur's pad and when they knocked on the front door it opened, so they stepped inside briefly but when they discovered the house was empty they left, and then when he finally got there Arthur accused them of stealing a 20 dollar bill off his kitchen counter; and while the band members were waiting outside, Bryan kicked at a black widow he thought was dead but it wasn't. That's the same one, I'm pretty sure. We all were in it, but it was mostly Arthur for some strange reason."

Take care, Michael

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    WilliamWes, Shawn, tedhead and 4 others like this.
  10. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Hi Lemonade Kid. If you are in direct contact with Michael, could you please ask him his recollection of the long-lost bridge of Alone Again Or as mentioned here. Appreciate it lots!

11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It always fascinating to me how the legacy of that era shifts back and forth depending on the observers. Both LA and San Francisco had their winners and losers from that time period. I always heard that people thought that the San Francisco bands were the ones who seemed to be more thought provoking and culture shifting than the LA bands who they thought were more "Hollywood". It was my observation that both cities contributed their share both groovy and darker edged music. Some like Neil Young and David Crosby had their feet in both camps. I suppose that everyone who experienced that era has their own version of reality. Arthur Lee didn't have the reputation then that he later received, he was just noted as a member of Love before all the stories ended up in books. Time has a way of changing everything.

12. lemonade kid

Arthur may have not had the rep outside of LA but he (and Love) definitely ruled the Strip for a short while...66-68 maybe. And peers flocked to the castle to be near Love.

13. lemonade kid

I'll ask. We're in touch regularly. A good friend.

14. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Thanks!!

15. lemonade kid

This from Michael:

It's hard to imagine that the afternoon I spent with Kevin and Bryan happened twenty years ago, but the fact is it did. I only remember bits and pieces of our conversation that day and unfortunately I've only a vague recollection of the story about the lost bridge to "Alone Again Or". Nothing I can add to what Kevin already wrote.
    As anybody who has listened to the song knows, it's about a guy who loves being with people but finds himself alone that night again. Kevin's statement that the words to the bridge gave a whole new meaning to the song could imply they gave an alternate (and more positive) perspective to solitude. You know, on the other hand you can love just being with yourself as well, if you're worthy. According to the so beautiful and poignant Michael Masser/Linda Creed composition (recorded by George Benson), "To love yourself is the greatest love of all."

--Michael

16. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Truly appreciate this! Thank you Lemonade Kid. Thank you Michael.

17. lemonade kid

You are very welcome. Michael's father (who was a Zen Buddhist leader in LA) raised Michael well, and was a strong influence on Michael. That Zen quality shines in Michael's answer. Of course, Michael would admit his Zen-like growth was a slow process (age and wisdom can be hard-won), and his Love years were fraught with missteps and drug issues. That is why he ultimately left the music biz completely. It saved his life.

Zen-like: Appearing calm and capable under stress. (wiki)
    "The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak." -- Hans Hoffman

Both these qualities are Michael, as I know him to be.--LK

auralden, fortherecord and tedhead like this.
  18. lemonade kid

The DVD audio Forever Changes just may be the best mastering I've heard, period. It is beyond brilliant, and Forever Changes shines like never before with clarity and separation, and with every instrument and voice so clear and present, it is like they found the lost master tapes and remastered them to perfection.

I am not exaggerating, not at all. get it if you can!

19. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

Scott, is the dvd equal to the lp? I don’t have a dvd player to try it out, plus I refuse listening to it on my pc. You know me and vinyl..;)

20. lemonade kid

I actually think it is a little higher audio quality. Amazing.

The Freedom Man and fortherecord like this.
  21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Giving this a gentle nudge. Am I off base here re Bruce Botnick not attending the sessions at Western? Is posting at 6
    about this sort of thing at 6:30am why I am single?

On that note I recall someone here referring to a unique stereo mix of Alone Again Or released as a single? My memory of FC is drenched in lysergia....I should revist it soon.

Bill likes this.
  22. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Andmoreagain...any trace of the supposed scrapped first attempt at recording the debut with Don Conka?

23. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Well, yes and no, according to My Little Red Book by Bruno Ceriotti:

September or October (1965): Original Sound Recorders, 7120 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood

The Grass Roots recorded a demo tape at the Original Sound supervised by Jerry Hopkins (later to become a famous music author and journalist) who had aspirations to become the band’s manager, along with an associate named Doug Lyon. Two of the tracks recorded were the Lee/Echols composition “Mushroom Clouds,” and Lee’s “You I’ll Be Following,” that the band, now named Love - more about this momentous event below - would rerecord one year later for what would be their eponymously titled debut album. This demo tape was apparently rejected by several major labels and, as a result, Hopkins and Lyon didn't become the band’s managers. This first version of “You I’ll Be Following” was later released in the fall of 2006 by Norton Records (as Norton 7N7) on a colored vinyl 45, coupled with The American Four’s “Stay Away” on the A side.

In the liner notes to the (cd reissue) of debut album, John Echols states that "we did a much better version of the first album with this guy Jerry Hopkins..."

Jerry Hopkins recently passed away. I don't know if he kept some tapes.

WilliamWes and Chris M like this.
  24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I find the DVD and the LP are very close to one another. Both are outstanding.

25. lemonade kid

Yes. The LP mastering is the best I've ever heard.

dkmonroe likes this.