Brian De Palma's "Sisters" from Arrow on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

One of my favorite early De Palma films (one where he used split screen very effectively--as he did with "Carrie"--to increase the level of suspense and show actions happening simultaneously).

Bernard Herrmann's over-the-top score with it's use of the Thermin (much as he did for "The Day The Earth Stood Still") only adds to the weirdness of De Palma's Hitchcockian inspired thriller. De Palma would use many of the same techniques on a variety of films but his mastery here in his early 20's continues to amaze me.

As with much of his early film work, there's no denying the influence of Hitchcock on the film (and other directors as well including Welles) but De Palma takes the level of perversity to new heights.

The Arrow Blu-ray has been out since last year and I had forgotten about it (it's region free from the UK but can be purchased as an import from Amazon and other places) until recently when I was on a De Palma binge.

The special features are quite nice for the film including a visual essay on the film (sadly, there's no commentary tracks), interviews and a gallery ofpromotional materials. The transfer looks quite nice--there's no info on whether a 2K or 4K intermediate or negative was used for the source. The film, by the way, has always looked grainy (a hallmark of many of the new formulations introduced in the 1970's) and the transfer is accurate to the way I remember seeing this in theaters.

I had hoped that Arrow would also have a booklet with an essay there as well or some other special hard copy special material (as occurred with Arrow's "Obsession" which came with a miniature copy of the original screenplay by Paul Schrader which differed in the last act).

Anyhow, fans of Margot Kidder and De Palma's work would enjoy this.

Myke and woody like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks. I'm a DePalma fan myself, and had forgotten about this release.

3. wayneklein

I should add that Arrow also did a fine job with "Obsession" de Palma's and Schrader's valentine to "Vertigo" that goes in its own bizarre direction. That film has been problematic for many people because of the diffuse look of the film (which was intentional). Great performance in that one from John Lithgow.

4. wayneklein

Myke, it's very nicely done. The colors aren't oversaturated and detail is pretty good. I ended up picking it up from Movie Mars via Amazon. It was a little more expensive than I had anticipated but it was well worth it particularly since Criterion hasn't moved forward with a Blu-ray of their own.

5. wayneklein

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love this film and wish Criterion would get the lead out and release it on bluray.

I thought I read somewhere only the first pressing of the Arrow disc was region free and represses were B locked. Is this a accurate? Thats the only reason Im hesitant to order.

7. Myke

Other way around apparently. Blu-ray.com shows the back art for the 2014 release as Region B. I'm trusting Wayne here about the 2017.

wayneklein and Daniel Plainview like this.
  8. wayneklein

The one that I just got yesterday is region free. I sincerely doubt that they would go back and go to the expense of changing the coding on the disc. Is it possible? Sure but I wouldn't think that the U.S. stock I got is region coded.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  9. wayneklein

The packaging is the same as the 2014 but the November 2017 release IS region free. The difference is that the new packaging carries a 2017 copyright date otherwise, they used the same info as before.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Okay, Im convinced. Ordered!

11. Myke

[​IMG]

wayneklein likes this.
  12. wayneklein

FYI, some early Sony Blu-ray players have a problem with region free discs (for example, "Caprica" a French region free disc had problems on my sony player but not on my other players including a 4K player).

13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Gotta agree with OP. This movie is chilling, while I never saw Margot Kidder look more attractive. This is right up there as one of my favorite De Palma films.

As for grain, the dream sequence was shot 16 mm and was meant to look even more grainy to separate from the rest of the films.

I think that Arrow did a wonderful job, and I have loved most all of the work on De Palma films and I prefer their color scheme on Dressed to Kill to Criterions (even if Criterion has more detail) for example.

If anyone is on the fence because of region coding, go drop a little bit of extra cash and get a multi-region player. It is silly to only rely on one country because every region has their plus and minuses.

Back to Sisters, did I mention hot simply stunning Kidder looked in this film? I don't know if it is the French accent or what....anyway, I will stop drooling now. Man this movie is a chiller. I may just have to spin it again. I can't say enough great things about De Palma films.

p.s. My copy had the DVD and bluray and came with a nice booklet with an essay by "KIER-LA JANISSE is the owner and Editor-in-Chief of Spectacular Optical, founder of The Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies" and an interview with Brian De Palma...etc.

Usually the books only come with the limited editions on first print. While that stuff is nice and I am glad to have it, the film is what I really care about.

...oops someone already beat me to this information.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    wayneklein likes this.
  14. Myke

The discussion on Blu-ray.com last October says there are two versions out there. The 2014 was locked, and they did unlock it for the 2017.

Arrow Video / Arrow Academy USA Discussion Thread - Page 553 - Blu-ray Forum

I have an Oppo 103, and retired on a pension, I'm not about to buy yet another player in a house with a region free DVD player, another DVD player, and the Oppo. I have to be sure about every dollar I spend.

As you can see in my screenshot, the 2014 is clearly region B.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yeah I understand, believe me I do, but in the long run you often save more money by buying a crappy region free Sony for example, and then getting the better blurays from all kinds of countries saving money.

Example, buy Twlight Time movies for 30 bucks (or more if they go out of print), or literally getting the same movie in better quality for as little as 12 bucks with Amazon prime UK.

Example, Body Double by Indicator with a higher amount of storage for the feature, 4K restoration, more special features, and a better booklet and reversible cover. While this is a poor example because it is region free, it is the first one that comes to mind as being superior to the western version and being related to the topic at hand.

For my money, the North American version of True Romance is a piece of crap compared to the Japaneses version (which come to think of it, is also region free. lol).

16. Myke

wayneklein likes this.
  17. wayneklein

:edthumbs:

18. Myke

So Movie Mars has gotten even slower over the years ?
    They sent DHL (another package-by-disabled-turtle-shipping-service) a tracking number last Thursday, but have yet to receive the actual package yet ?!?!?
    Of course they had no problem taking the $20+ from my credit card immediately.

19. wayneklein

Mine arrived well before the projected date but I have occasionally had packages go missing. It would be nice if they offered that option.

20. Myke

What option ?

21. Myke

Of course once Mars got my message, the BD magically is now on it's way, and within minutes, I get a response e mail that once again contains a link to the tracking. Sad to be so vividly reminded why I stopped buying anything from these bozos 10 years ago.

22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Ordered from Movie Mars a ton over the years. Never ever once had an issue...other than yes...they are slow.

Though to call them "bozos" is to ignore that they are a power seller and they have a crap ton of order volume. Lots of companies take time to ship and juggling is often how they get the discounts. I know from experience being one seller, it is difficult to keep up, let alone if you got orders that are coming rapid fire. They can't all be Amazon especially when some have the advantage of being subsidized by the Feds.

23. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I just watched my blu of Body Double for the first time in a long time. I have never seen any of his pre Dressed to Kill films. If I like his 80s stuff, would I like this...?

24. Myke

Sounds like you might. What about Carrie, and The Fury ? Have you seen those ?

Brian De Palma - IMDb

25. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I envy you. Work your way back and enjoy. I say watch them all.

Incidentally was thinking of DePalma and Dressed to Kill and was looking up they Penthouse Pet Anneka Di Lorenzo and her being the nurse at the end. She seemed to have a tragic life, but was darn beautiful and amazing in Caligula. I was seeing what happened at the end and I think there is no doubt she was murdered.

Sorry off off topic but just couldn't help but think that actresses like her were just made for a part in a DePalma film and perhaps something more than just eye candy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.