Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Ahh, that's what I saw.

MRamble likes this.
  2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Hard to say, I think it could go either way. He seems to point to the record that is in Charlie's hand but it's very possible that he was pointing to the one underneath it (Some Girls).

I'll send the video to the boys in the lab....

Solace and Exile On My Street like this.
  3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Where exactly did you buy it from?

4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

We need some slo-mo instant replay and perhaps another angle or two for this to be conclusive.

5. booker

booker Forum Resident

I think this may be bad copy of this particular record. Mine (EU box) plays Star Star flawlessly. The thing you could do if returning/replacing one record is difficult/not possible is to try to wet clean the record and see if this helps.

6. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

My U.K. copy arrived like this as well from the Stones store , they are all like this , foam on all corners to protect.

7. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Stone it up! My $179 Amazon order arrives today!

8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Gumby question but surely a stylus or turntable issue generally would affect all the tracks on an album not just one? I have not played my Goats Head yet but if Star is bad and it is the fault of my equipment I would expect the other tracks to also sound bad.

dynamicmoose likes this.
  9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The 2016 half speed sounds NOTHING like an original artisan in any way shape or form...

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks Guy Gadbois - is that just Star on an original US or the whole of Goats Head. I do not have a USA Goats but have a very nice 70s vinyl issued in Japan along with my (from 1973) UK copies.

11. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Am I right in thinking "Voodoo Lounge" doesn't contain "Mean Disposition"?
    I know the original vinyl release didn't have it, but I seem to remember a previous box set that included the track.
    I could be wrong, however.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe... but maybe that record is cut in such a way that Star* exacerbates the problem. They may have other areas, but not got to them yet.
    I used to own that table and that cart, and you can’t really rely on Rega’s scale. You need a digital scale to get it just right. Anyway, it was just an idea...something to check.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ok, thanks for checking it. As someone else mentioned, the old US cuts used to be pretty distorted sounding. But, I have first pressings from U.K., Germany, and Japan where it’s not.
    I get my box some time today so I’ll try to do some comparisons on GHS.

dynamicmoose likes this.
  14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Same here, Star Star does sound "crunchy" as compared to the rest of the pressing. I would say my copy has LOADS of distortion ans sibilance, it doesn't, but it does have a distorted quality that the rest of the pressing does not have.

fitzchris72 and dynamicmoose like this.
  15. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

The 2010 box included Mean Disposition.

vudicus likes this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

A little more involvement and care from the band or management would have been great. I'm not talking about Neil Young level, but the thing with the hard drives (take whatever you want, has to go in 24 hours :rolleyes:), then Miles asking about what to do with Fingerprint File... no Mean Disposition (yes, I now there wasn't on the original vinyl), then the Steel Wheels situation...

Come on, you can't give the mastering engineer of such a huge project only 24 hours to choose what he wants. I guess copying files from it was prohibited, otherwise the 24h time frame would make no sense. I'm pretty sure that if Steve Hoffman was given a hard drive to cut a 15LP box (I know he doesn't cut from digital, it's just an example) and the management had said to him the 24 hours thing, the hard drive would have flown directly to the management guy's head. Oh well, in the end what really matters is sound quality.

Flaming Torch and jon9091 like this.
  17. It's just that song really. I hear it on my first US press and on the 1994 Virgin CD

Flaming Torch and dynamicmoose like this.
  18. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

For those interested in the downloads - most of the Bridges to Babylon tracks and also 'Back of My Hand' from A Bigger Bang are missing but everything else is there in WAV format.

On first listen, (in the car on the way to work) I don't think there are any updated remasters for these downloads - they sound like the latest CD's to me (The Universal ones from '09) but I could be wrong.

I've raised a support ticket to add to their pile for the missing tracks :)

Anyway, the records are impeccable which is the main thing.

Carl80 and MRamble like this.
  19. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

It'll be included in the next one in 2026.

rednedtugent, MRamble and mick_sh like this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Presumably Showell could have simply copied the entire hard drive.

marcb, Shawn and jon9091 like this.
  21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

May be. But in that case, they should have made a copy of the hard drive for Miles to keep it. Either way, its nonsensical.

marcb, rednedtugent and jon9091 like this.
  22. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Random thought as I listen to these..

I had said previously that I thought I was hearing more bass, but I think what I'm hearing is deeper bass..

John Grimes and MRamble like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's arguably a bit strange that they cared about getting a hard drive back that probably cost a couple hundred dollars (if that), but it shouldn't have affected the end result.

jon9091 and mick_sh like this.
  24. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

I would have accepted a copy of the hard drive in lieu of the downloads. :laugh: Anyhow my box is scheduled for arrival Thursday, I have most of these except B2B and BB on vinyl, so it will be interesting to hear the differences. I have an original Cdn from '72 of Exile, 2012(?) special and the half speed from Abbey Rd. I must admit, I did enjoy the half speed, I thought it sounded as good as I've ever heard it. So it will be interesting to hear how the new one sounds on my stereo.

mick_sh likes this.
  25. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

On the subject of downloads, I'm surprised that Universal apparently went back to the generally derided '09 remasters and didn't provide the files used to cut the new LPs. However, I suppose it doesn't much matter either way to those of us in North America.

Oh, and my $179 Amazon order has been shipped and will be at the house tomorrow.

Queezma and vinylbeat like this.