Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Bought it after reading your post, arrived today. Just played the entire disc so loud the windows were rattling. And the box and book are awesome.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A friend of mine in Earthquake detection in California said that there were seismic waves coming from Missouri. Maybe you should be careful.

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had overlooked that CD figuring it would be numerous consecutive takes of each song like most of the Outtakes series, but that isn't the case. Will have to get it sometime.

For the obsessive who does want to hear up to a dozen takes of the same song in a row...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadence-Sessions-1957-60-Everly-Brothers/dp/B00F3EF0WG/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadence-Sessions-1957-60-Everly-Brothers/dp/B00KLFX1HS/

darling, The Killer and baptistbusman like this.
  4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I just bought those cadence sessions CDs,and we dont have strong earthquakes in Norway.:tiphat:

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

No poisonous snakes, tornadoes or hurricanes either? Where do you get your excitement?

Music?

melstapler likes this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Buck's estate still have numerous unreleased recordings in their vaults, enough to justify more box sets in the future. Not to mention, the "Buck sings Eagles" EP was never issued on CD and those sessions would need to be included. Buck had business savvy and owning a recording studio in Bakersfield gave him the advantage of being able to professionally record songs while maintaining a consistent level of quality. Although they mixed and mastered numerous songs at Buck's studio, it was apparently still all analog during the 1990s. Sadly, the studio closed about 10 years ago.

7. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

The price of beer and ski jumps.

melstapler likes this.
  8. The Killer

Yeah, I've got those too, they're good. Another great EB CD is All they had to do was Dream on Rhino, it's a studio chatter hear the songs developing disc, fascinating stuff.

[​IMG]

MerseyBeatle and melstapler like this.
  9. Svein Arne

We got one poisonous snake 30 inches long.
    Earthquakes is below 4,8 on richter scale.
    Get exitement fom movies,music travelling.:uhhuh:

10. The Killer

I can't decipher the booklet much as it's all in foreign (it's a French CD) however it looks as though tracks 1 - 7 are studio recordings in Las Vegas, 12/6/1965, tracks 8 - 30 are live from 2 shows at the Flamingo Hotel, Las Vegas 13/6/1965. The studio tracks sound a bit stilted however we all came for the live stuff and the sound quality for that is actually pretty good to my ears, bit of Fats chat between songs too. Recommended non-Bear disc.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  11. The Killer

Fats' band is smokin', amazing stuff.

12. Svein Arne

This vinyl box from Readers Digest may contain all the live recordings by Fats Domino from Mercury records.
    Gripsweat - READERS DIGEST*RARE*ROCK REVIVAL LP BOXSET COMPLETE
    Many rare recordings.Contains a strange version by Chuck Berry:From Frisco to St louis.
    Does not sound like the one on the Big Bear Family box set.I got this set and many are in stereo here for the first time.o_O

The Killer likes this.
  13. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

This forum sure has cost me a ton of money :/. Got these two on the way now. I need counseling.

While we are on the subject, does anyone have The Carter Family Acme Sessions? I’ve been thinking about it for a while, but I see a few reviews saying the sound quality isn’t all that great. I figured it wasn’t the remastering so much as it wasn’t meant to be commercial recordings.

Svein Arne and The Killer like this.
  14. Svein Arne

George and Marty sings classic country songs:

:pineapple:

15. Svein Arne

I got a CD set with Leadbelly released on JSP records,it got a terrible sound.Same label as Carter family ACME sessions cd.

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The JSP Carter Acme collection doesn’t sound great, but I know of no place else to get the material. Does anybody here?

The Arhoolie Carter discs of radio transcriptions are great, though.

The Killer and baptistbusman like this.
  17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

My rule of thumb is if t’s on JSP and doesn’t have John R T Davis’ name on it it’s either a clone of somebody elses work or it’s heavily nr’d.

Some like Ted Kendal’s work a lot, too.

18. Svein Arne

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Given the release of The Carter Family and Anita Carter sets, any chance for Carter Family (redux)/Carter Sisters/Mother Maybelle set(s)?

melstapler likes this.
  20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Preach!

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My silence can be bought. For a reasonable amount of money (which I will spend on my next Bear Family purchase), I will not recommend any of my favorite sets.

22. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I have the 1959 through 1968 sets...excellent packages and sound . Plan to get more eventually

23. The Killer

Hey GBTT, just noticed the guy I bought my copy from has got another one for sale, maybe he's got a stash of them. Anyway he ships to Canada for £6.50 and the disc (it's a proper manufactured disc) is only £7.99. FATS DOMINO - WHAT'S THAT YOU GOT - 1965 - MERCURY (Rare Collectible Recordings | eBay

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The 1945-1955 sets represent country music in its great classic era....essential

25. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Killer likes this.