Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I brought it up with a few links of the same in the other SW thread, definitely some interesting stuff. It's possible SW could have turned out even worse than what some think it's become especially when we think back to Jar Jar. Who knows what this microbiotic world would consist of...however I am one of the few that thought the under water city in Phantom Menace was pretty cool.

2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

George has always been great at ideas and concepts. Its the execution that seems to fail. Sort of like with Rian Johnson, although at least RJ can direct actors. Something George struggled with.

The prequels as flawed as they are at least had the ambition to try some new things. Ideally the sequel trilogy would have too.

The best case scenario for Star Wars would have been George as executive consultant and lore master. However thanks to the malcontents that complained about George and the prequels, i think Disney and Kathy Kennedy thought they were ironically pleasing the fans by distancing themselves from George and catering to them by returning to the OT rebels vs empire dynamic. After all it's what the "fans" wanted...until they got it and then suddenly they didn't want it. Now they want George back. Confusing? Yep.

I personally would have preferred George's vision executed by people like JJ and Rian. Sadly that will never be because we had a very loud portion of the fandom screaming "childhood rape/murder!" for over a decade to the point it poisoned the well for George and made his involvement perceived as Toxic by enough people that he has almost no direct involvement at all with his creation. A sad state of affairs.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  3. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I wish they would let Dave Filloni write a live action movie at some point. Personally, the animated shows have been the real life blood of SW for the last few years.

ianuaditis and marblesmike like this.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I watched back when it came to the movie theatres and was underwhelmed. I re-watched it last night on Blu-ray and sadly my impression didn't change. Where TFA was too much of a remake of Episode 4, TLJ had too many parallels to E5 and 6. And the whole Canto Bight storyline still seemed pointless and annoying to me. It's really a pity, since I like the look and feel of the new Star Wars movies and the new characters as well (especially Rey).

With a bit more fantasy and courage to do something new, these movies could have been great. I thought the relationship between Rey and Kylo could have turned into something very interesting, but they just seem to want another Luke and Vader. The next movie might be interesting, since they already used up the final confrontation (Luke/Vader/Emperor) from "Return of the Jedi" in this one. But the First Order can still build another Starkiller and the Resistance can fight them with an army of Porgs.

What I don't remember noticing the first time was that the little boy in the final scene seems to grab his broom with a short Force-pull. Maybe Episode 9 will be about a little boy with a very strong natural connection to the Force. Sounds like a great idea. What could possibly go wrong?

ianuaditis and David Campbell like this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Happy Fathier's Day!

[​IMG]

Michael Rose and wolfram like this.
  6. David Campbell

Well if certain speculation is true about KK possibly leaving later this year, then Filloni may end up taking over Lucasfilm.

Whomever takes over though I pity them.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. David Campbell

Ummm....

;)

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You know I was kidding, right? :shh:

9. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Pretty sure IX will be made "as they go". Even if there was a plan before, it has fallen to pieces after Carrie's death and the reaction to VIII. One of the problems with such absurdly high budget movies is that there's a ton of people who want to push their own ideas.

mpayan likes this.
  10. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Poor Anakin, he hated lava; "I don't like lava. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  11. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Check out this one...those artist rendering, oh my!! :eek: I think Lucas has lost it.
    Compared to this, Rian Johnson saved your childhood

George Lucas reveals his plan for Star Wars 7 through 9—and it was awful

Flippikat and sunspot42 like this.
  12. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

[​IMG]

13. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

That Lucas idea for 7-9 seems horrendous...suddenly a film about a slow spaceship gradually running out of fuel seems pretty exciting.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

it wasn't that long was it?

Michael Rose, wolfram and sunspot42 like this.
  15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Haha typing on my phone!

But yes, that movie also didn't need to be 2 hours 15 minutes.

16. David Campbell

I did...which is why i responded with the video. I just wanted an excuse to post that! :)

sunspot42 and wolfram like this.
  17. David Campbell

I think the idea of delving into the nature of the Force isn't in of itself terrible. However if it was indeed something akin to our heroes being shrunk down as the art there shows....yikes.

Takehaniyasubiko and sunspot42 like this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think the idea of The Force as a character of sorts with its own will would be very interesting to explore. They've actually set some stuff up - in both TFA and TLJ - which almost implies as much. Curious to see if they follow-thru on that...

bferr1 likes this.
  19. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

It's the worst idea since Jar Jar Binks.

20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I think the micro-biotics concept is being taken too literally by some. There's no telling what Lucas really had in mind.

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Here we see a shot from George's version of The Force Awakens...

[​IMG]

bferr1 likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

:laugh:

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's a new film (stop me if this has been posted before)...

[​IMG]

Lownote30 and David Campbell like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So I finally mustered up some enthusiasm to see this movie and to see what all the brouhaha was about. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it past the first 10-12 mins! The dialog was diabolically bad. I mean, I've heard better dialog in a Saturday morning cartoon. I was cringing and wincing all the time.

The opening action sequence was a complete bore. It played like a Star Wars greatest hits from the glory days, except without the suspense and any emotional connection. The effects were bland and monotonous - every collision resulted in a sea of fake looking orange flame explosions. I felt nothing, except annoyed. This really is only for little kids now, so I'm out.

KAJ1971 and Takehaniyasubiko like this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If you are going to post an opinion i think it's only fair that you watch the whole film. You aren't really giving it a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.