Record Store Day 2018: Gene Clark - Back Street Mirror 6-song E.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

No word on that yet, sorry.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

3. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. Like you I'm very keen to find out for definite what else exists from the fertile '66/'67 period.

I've just re-read Rogan's article in Record Collector on the 2014 Symposium which mentions a reel which includes the Doctor Doctor demo and That's Why. It states that the owner of the tape, Richie Lewis, was interviewed by phone at the event. However, it does not confirm that the reel was played. I am assuming it was not.

Then there is also the tracks he mentions from this period in your interview with him last year including Translations and Bakersfield Train. John Einarson's book mentions the existence of these same tracks (page 121).

Hep Alien, indigo_m and Clarkophile like this.
  4. Clarkophile

Yes, I'm aware of Ritchie's 5-song tape; it's now in the hands of a private collector. It features solo demo versions of the songs you mentioned, plus 'On the Bright Side', 'She's Made Up Her Mind' and 'Long Time' (although on the tape box, in Gene's hand, it's entitled 'Such a Long Time').

5. Clarkophile

A further thought on ‘That’s Why.’ I haven’t confirmed this with him, but in Rogan’s latest book it sounds as though he’s talking about a full-band version of the song that was recorded for, and left off, the solo debut...which means, like ‘Doctor, Doctor,’ there may be an acoustic demo plus a studio outtake.

6. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Anyone order from sierra records mail order? I ordered back street mirror and lost studio sessions back on the 18th, I got an order received email about a week ago. Do they typically send a shipping notification, I know the modern age just has me jaded, 15 days isn't an unbearable amount of time but i'm chomping at the bit to get these

7. Clarkophile

I think a lot depends on where you live.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I ordered the RSD when it was announced they would be shipping out the overstock. After a delay of a few weeks or so, I got a notice of apology and that they would be finally shipping out soon. That was early June, I believe. I got it about 2 weeks ago. Delays and shipping issues are unfortunately par for the course with Sierra. The debacle that John went through with Lost Studio Sessions was nuts.

I would suggest checking in with him every so often to make sure he still remembers and is making some progress in getting it to you. Sooner or later you’ll see your order.

NapalmBrain likes this.
  9. Clarkophile

Here is a review of the Back Street Mirror E.P. and GC Sings for You from Australian magazine Rhythms.
    [​IMG]

indigo_m, zobalob, Chris M and 2 others like this.
  10. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Just got the EP in the mail, and I must say it's one of the thickest slabs of vinyl I have ever seen. Feels like a double album that has melted into one piece. But I'm not complaining. Looks and sounds great!

lightbulb, indigo_m, Chris M and 3 others like this.
  11. Clarkophile

This is also from Rhythms magazine, written by Chris Hollow—whose name might be familiar to some as the writer who interviewed Chip Douglas about the Gene Clark Group.

[​IMG]

indigo_m, zobalob, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  12. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

I just got a rather sad e-mail saying Sierra Records is closing the mail order for good:

[​IMG]
    SIERRA RECORDS MAIL ORDER

WEB STORE CLOSING

It is with regret that I am closing the Sierra Record Mail Order website effective July 31, 2018. Since 2004, I have provide online ordering for some the best music ever made. Before that, direct mail ordering that began in November 1971 with a tiny ad in Bluegrass Unlimited magazine.

There were several factors leading to this decision. The website hosting company for Sierra since 2004, goemerchant.com, is discontinuing their current 'shopping cart' software in favor of a "new premium cart" that is incompatible with what has been offered over the years. Second, the mail order business has declined to the point that it is no longer cost effective. I am joining other such independent mail order companies that have closed in recent months, years like Folk Era/Rediscover and the gold standard of mail order, County Sales.

Then I was faced with the recent problems with the postal services here and abroad which has caused me both money and my patience. Lastly, my on going battle with lung cancer and now arthritis in my right hand (making it almost impossible to package orders now) being the last straw.

The future of the label itself is yet to be written. Starting on August 1, 2018 when you go to any of the current websites- sierra records.com or sierrarecords.net you will be directed to a one page site, sierraglobal.net where in the coming months I will post information on what the future holds. You can still reach me at the either "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

Some of the titles that are currently available at the Sierra web store will no longer be available for purchase in the near future. After that, most of them should be available at places like amazon.com, acoustic sounds, elusive disc, etc. They along with with itunes, pandora, spotify, emusic, etc. will be carrying the digital download/streaming versions of the catalog now and in the coming months. So if there is anything you wanted to purchase but held off, this will be your last opportunity. All new orders until July 31, 2018 will be shipped into August.

I know this sounds like one of those old "going out business sales" that never ends. I can assure you, it is not. It's an end of an era.

Entrée Records, the specialty label, will continue to issue a wide variety of music releases including those for future 'Record Store Day' events. Again, these will be available at your local 'brick and mortar stores' and amazon.com moving forward.

A simple 'thank you' seems inadequate at this time. Sharing this music with you first when I began as a "DJ" in 1966 in Pasadena through the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s with the record labels, until now, has been an honor. My hope is that there was at least a song or two that I released that brought you joy and pleasure.

Not really a goodbye, but just as Gram was fond of closing his letters,

Sound as ever,

John Delgatto

[​IMG]

lightbulb, cwitt1980 and AlienRendel like this.
  13. Clarkophile

Closing the mail order aspect of the business, yes. I believe John has plans to release more music in the future, just not through the old model.

There were all sorts of issues plaguing The Lost Studio Sessions, as we all know, but John's health concerns accounted for much of it. I'm glad he got past that challenge, and I'm glad he's taking time for himself.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  14. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Just got a hold of the Back Street Mirror EP and I just thought I would jump on board this thread to give it a rousing huzzah !
    Have listened to it three times through now and consider an absolute necessity alongside the Lost Studio albums.
    Yes , there are questionable backing instrumentations , and yes , there are rough spots from aging tapes BUT this is Gene Clark with stellar songs previously unheard and that magnificent voice reaches down through the years in all its glory.
    And the songs, ahhhhhhhhhh the songs - cannot quit lifting the needle to put it back on the beginning of "If I Hang Around".
    Absolutely recommended !

lightbulb, Chris M, E.Jonker and 3 others like this.
  15. E.Jonker

E.Jonker Well-Known Member

Still waiting...

16. Clarkophile

Just curious, Rene: when you say “questionable backing instrumentations”—I’m guessing that’s a reference to the horns?
    Very interested in hearing your review of ‘Yesterday Am I Right.’

indigo_m likes this.
  17. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

I hesitated for all of about 10 seconds at purchasing this when I saw Sierra's shipping fees outwith the US. I don't have a record player either so on top of that I had to pay for it to be transferred to CD.

All in all a very expensive purchase but absolutely no regrets. I just could not have waited for the digital version!

I thought the arrangement for Yesterday Am I Right was rather OTT when I first heard it but I love it. I can hear the comparison with Touch Me by The Doors which of course was recorded at least a year later.

If I Hang Around is simply stunning musically and lyrically. If it is definitely about Michelle Philips then I guess I can understand why it wasn't released at the time.

She Told Me is brief but I find it charming.

I would agree that That's What You Want is very reminiscent of the White Light material. It's hard to believe it was recorded in 1965.

A big thank you to all involved with this excellent release.

I would like to point out that the EP was shipped from California on the Thursday evening and it arrived in the west of Scotland on the Monday morning. My overall experience with Sierra has been very favourable. I know it won't be of any consolation to some posters on this thread but I feel I have to give credit where it is due.

18. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I ended up getting my back street mirror and lost studio sessions last week, I got notification the day after I sent a follow up message, now I feel bad. I didn't know he was in poor health,. I'm real happy with both, they are just incredible and worth recommending to any Clark fans

19. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

My Back Street Mirror EP arrived today. Lovely packaging and great notes, thanks Tom and Ingrid.

Disappointingly, there are two points during Side 2, Track 3 ('That's What You Want') where the needle sticks. And the spindle hole is so tight I have to press down hard to get it onto the turntable and slowly jiggle it off so it won't break. :cry:

hallucalation likes this.
  20. E.Jonker

Spindle holes can be tight due to the burr left by the stamper. This can usually be removed by twisting a pencil or plastic biro through the hole. This could also be the cause of the needle sticking, because if you press down hard enough, it can"dish" the record. (I presume you've checked the usual suspects: is the turntable level, are the stylus tracking force and overhang correct etc).

21. Clarkophile

Ugh, I’m very sorry to hear this.

indigo_m likes this.
  22. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

Thanks Jonker and Clarkophile. I'll try to widen the hole and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps the sticking might resolve itself. It's happened once or twice before with other records, when the needle manages to 'play through' after a while, albeit leaving a loud permanent click on the vinyl.

indigo_m and Clarkophile like this.
  23. E.Jonker

The Eagle Has Landed in Australia! Yes, my copy of 'Back Street Mirror' arrived this morning. I've already played it and it sounds as good as it looks. Thank you John for releasing this material and to Tom and Indigo for their wise words and lovely art work respectively.

24. Clarkophile

That’s great, Ed. Glad to hear it made it safely and with no issues!

indigo_m and E.Jonker like this.
  25. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

You must be the other guy who John told me about. I've got the exact same problems with the copy I just got the other day. Seems to be pressed a wee bit off center on side 1 as well. Beautiful package otherwise.

indigo_m likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.