Rare Australian rock CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ispace, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ispace

ispace Senior Member Thread Starter

This 1990 CD by Australian rock singer Brian Mannix has been going for crazy money lately. Another copy sold today for A$11,211 (approx US$8,310):

BRIAN MANNIX: Self Titled. ULTRA RARE 1990 Aussie CD (Uncanny X-Men) OZ Rock | eBay
    (You’ll need to click the “Listing” link at the top as eBay don’t like links to completed auctions)

Several CD issues of Australian rock music from the 70s & 80s has been selling for big dollars on eBay lately.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  2. ispace

3. ispace

4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Yeah I found some really early AC/DC cd pressings going for big money recently.

The Doga likes this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I find this beyond amazing....who in their right mind would pay that sort of money for a cd...especially one from Brian Mannix!!!

6. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Stunning madness! I'm sure its rare because nobody bought it when it was released!

I reckon Brian Mannix is selling off his copies. Good luck to him.

7. moops

moops Senior Member

For the non-Australian members looking at this it would seem stupid.
    To the Australian members here it goes from stupid to a category that I don't even have a word for !

8. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Im calling dodgy on those. There's def something fishy that 4 Cd's could be worth $26 grand - let alone 4 Brian Mannix CD's

10. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I actually know for a fact that one Australian band had an indie cd available a decade or so ago which one member repressed on the sly since they became a bit of a festival name overseas and has been selling on Ebay for hundreds of dollars...pretty dodgy if you ask me!

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That shocks me as to me and my high school mates he was a wannabe with a lame and derivative image. The hilarious bit was a kid in 85' who was 16 or 17 told me Brian Mannix was better than Mick Jagger and the Stones. ( His main knowlege source was viewing Dancing in the street) later he read up and came back with his tale between his legs!
    The band had a couple of hits i vaguely remember. Years later i ran into a girl i had gone to school with 20 years earlier and i learned that at 18 she had become his groupie girlfriend!
    Rare cd as no one much wanted to buy it i would say.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Sherbet's Photoplay went for a couple of grand o CD earlier in the year.

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I saw The Uncanny X-Men support Models and Men at Work at La Trobe Uni and they blew both the headliners off the stage.

Sluggy likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

I am not a fan of any of those but had to suffer through the X men on the radio and regular tv video rotation. Where will we be in 50 years indeed. As for their cds going for 5-10K a previous poster got it right about the scale of stupidity being immeasurable!

The Doga and Jimmy Agates like this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They used to do a song about The Sullivan's live and after they played it the audience was completely on their side.

16. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

My thoughts entirely. I remember seeing a number in $1 bins in the late 90s and they were probably sent to the rubbish tip - further increasing the rarity - people holding on to albums that they actively dislike.

17. All Down The Line

The sullivans tv show?

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's the one. Pity it's not on YouTube

I spoke too soon

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. All Down The Line

I can see that a certain Aus audience would like it like a Uni crowd. Mylene i have got to hand it to you as you have made so many posts and get likes almost 2.5 for each one. Respect.

The Doga and Mylene like this.
  20. ispace

It is crazy isn't it?? I bet those buyers will be disappointed once they listen to it! :)

Check out this seller's sold items for more rare CDs that have actually sold for big dollars recently:

hotrockoz | eBay

All Down The Line likes this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The trick is to post a classic rock album in the listening to vinyl thread. The right album can generate sixty or seventy likes.

22. All Down The Line

How do you have the time for one?
    Also i know you have areas of great knowledge and are respected in certain circles.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

to me it's sad, there are too many rare Aussie cd's at the moment!

The Doga, ispace and Mylene like this.
  24. All Down The Line

What the?
    I thought at least Radio Birdman and Paul Kelly and the dots would be the collectables.
    Damn, i have 1000 cd's but almost none by marginal crap acts, stupid, stupid me!

limoges, Jimmy Agates, qwerty and 2 others like this.
  25. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

I find it really odd that almost all of The Church back catalogue is out of print. The CDs can get pricey on ebay (OK- not like OPs example, but more than they would be retail). The Church tour constantly and although they were never huge, they are certainly well known around the world. Why can't I buy their records?!?