SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ve been on vacation for the past several days. I’m hoping to give it a listen sometime this week! It looks pristine.

teag likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have a pristine copy. It's not as supremely lush as the stereo 45, but it's lovely, and the musical lines are brought out in a unique way. It's worth having a copy.

.crystalised. and MLutthans like this.
  3. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

You put that well.

CBackley and AnalogJ like this.
  4. AnalogJ

TY. Back at ya!

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Should be, it's a completely different set of microphones, recording console, tape machine and engineer!

6. AnalogJ

That helps to explain why, for sure. But in terms of where the rubber meets the road, it's interesting to know that the mono is a significantly different enough of a musical experience that it's worth tracking one down to hear.

7. Steve Hoffman

Get the SACD I did. The mono album is on there, the stereo mix I did is on there and the multi-channel mix I did is on there. Can't go wrong. Impress your friends.

Taxman, NorthNY Mark, Ere and 7 others like this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Your stereo mix on Nat's Love Is The Thing SACD takes my breath away every time I play it! What a splendor to listen to and what a truly fantastic album.

CBackley likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't have the SACD, but the stereo DCC has probably the best sounding vocals I have ever heard on a recording.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Dave, LeeS and RSteven like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

What was it that Frank Sinatra said about Nat's voice, something like "It sounds like velvet and truly is unforgettable?" Wow, could there be a more beautiful vocal ever than Nat's version on Stardust or on his magnificent intonation on When I Fall In Love? Yes indeed, those vocals are to die for and our host really did wonders with Nat's voice and the fantastic orchestra under the direction of Mr. Gordon Jenkins.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

MUST WATCH:

HERE is a perfect example of how different the stereo and mono mixes are. Someone put up a short comparison video comparing "When I Fall In Love". The stereo, is NOT Steve Hoffman's mix, but it gives you an idea of how much different the presentation and focus of the counterlines in the accompaniment.

12. CBackley

I love comparing stereo and mono mixes. These NKC SACDs are great for it.

AnalogJ and RSteven like this.
  13. .crystalised.

Definitely more of a focus on the counterpoint in the mono. What comes through as faint and subtle nuances in the stereo mix become prominent elements in the mono, not to mention that one can actually hear the rhythm section.

14. .crystalised.

The entire album is an effective example of how setup can dramatically alter the presentation and perception of a live studio recording. It may as well be an album full of alternate takes (the irony being that I've heard alternates more similar than the differences heard between these mixes).

15. AnalogJ

Right. It's almost more conversational than having the orchestra be merely supportive.

.crystalised. likes this.
  16. CBackley

The original gray label mono pressing I bought is excellent. There’s more surface noise than I had been led to expect by the seller, but it’s still cool to have. And the surface noise doesn’t get too much in the way of the music.

After spinning it a few times and doing several more listens to our host’s stereo and mono mixes on the SACD, I have to say hands down that the stereo mix is my favorite. As our host said, it has SPARKLE. Yeah, you lost the cello opening on the first track and some other details here and there. But there’s more space, more air.

.crystalised., RSteven and teag like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Agreed. Now listen to the actual stereo LP mix out there on the common vinyl album and you'll understand why I created a new stereo mix.

18. AnalogJ

And the latter IS magical.

RSteven likes this.
  19. .crystalised.

Blah. I couldn't pawn it fast enough after hearing the AP mix. Dull and veiled. No sparkle. The irony is that I used to believe it was a nice sounding LP. Then I learned better.

RSteven and CBackley like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Yes, dull and veiled. The weird thing is, the three-track is not like that at all. The dulling and veiling was on purpose during initial stereophonic LP mixing in 1958. Very odd.

21. .crystalised.

It's also squashed. Not badly, but enough that it alters the enjoyment of the album. Were they playing it safe because no one really understood the specs of 45/45 cutting yet?

22. .crystalised.

Right. This album and Songs From St. Louis Blues sound the brightest of the seven albums in the Analogue Productions lineup.

23. Steve Hoffman

Before they added the “sock” to the microphone.

MMM and .crystalised. like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

I don’t know. Instead of dumbing down during mastering, its right on the tape that way.

.crystalised. likes this.
  25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Such a familiar recording but now alive again like it was made (properly) yesterday.

It must be satisfying to be able to do work like this. An audio version of restoring and fine-tuning a classic car and then telling everyone they can have a great ride in it now! :cool: