Preacher - New Season 3 Discussion & Popcorn

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Darkly comedic, controversial and brutal. Here we are again with Season 3 of Preacher.

The trailers look pretty amazing. Moreover, it really looks like they plan on taking the source material all the way to the end.

I'm ready for another season of the the greatest popcorn show on TV today. In fact, it starts today, June 24th.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...and, I'll be right there with ya'!
    Doing all the 'after-show' commentary!
    .....there really IS nothing else on TV for the next few months....except THIS!
    (unless, of course, they actually show that new season of "Venture Bros" on Adult Swim, this summer, like they promised)!

3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

This show is awesome! Been watching from S1E1, but never followed/read the graphic novels. Not sure I want to get into those so I can be surprised/shocked/amazed at what comes across on the screen.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  4. EVOLVIST

Yeah, I wouldn't read the comic while this show is finished. BUT! - do read the comic! It is like the show, but even more sick and twisted. :D

I thought s03e01 was pretty good. We have a whole new set of extra players, which is what always sends this show into new territory. It's exciting!

If I had any complaint about the first episode this year was when Tulip met "God." I don't think that was really God, but instead Tulip's projection of what she knows about him.

Anyway, I thought that small scene was a little cheesy.

Also, how in the hell did Jessie's mother survive after getting cut on like that? :wtf:

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This show is crazy, I really enjoy it. Glad to know some of my fellow Hoffmanites are along for the ride.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. vince

I know I say this every year, BUT......
    I could use a smidge more 'yuks'!

7. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Did she survive? He was already born at that point.

8. EVOLVIST

I don't know. I thought she looked pretty lucid for just getting sliced like that.

If grandma killed her then grandma would be responsible for the deaths of both of Jessie's parents.

xdawg likes this.
  9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Love me some Tulip BUT....I thought her scenes to be unusually weak and gimmicky. And I ain't feelin grandma, yet! 3.5 outta 5 stars for the 1st episode.

10. vince

I don't know what I'm more excited about:
    Grandma vs. Tulip
    or
    Grandma vs. Herr Starr!!!

11. EVOLVIST

I thought last night's episode (S03e02) was pretty damn good. Better than the first one, though the first one wasn't bad - it was more of a setup. Now the bullet is really hitting the bone.

It's a really good sign when they introduce two new characters, Jody and TC, and I've already taken a shine to them. It's probably because Jody is a brute, but he doesn't take a hammer to everything, and TC might seem like an idiot, but he has skills in other areas that are impressive. What is that, an idiot savant?

On another note, I hope they show Jessie more as a kid, because that's one cool customer.

By the way, for those who haven't seen Episode 2, yet (though what are you doing reading if you haven't seen it?), the gunfight at the
    Hari Krishna temple
    was well done.
    Did y'all see where Herr Starr shot that guy right in the dick? :biglaugh:
    Juvenile, I know; nevertheless, Michael Slovis directed these first two episodes, and he always does a great job.

I don't think you're supposed to feel grandma. Her continued mystery is what propels the character. I think with her it's what you don't know that makes her so scary. I feel a little unease when she's on the screen.

12. EVOLVIST

Well, I, for one, felt that this past Sunday's episode was one of the best of this series.

I have a major gripe, and that's the way they handled the God/Dog character. I think the mystery was better served without him talking, going on and on about a plan. They could have showed that with visuals. Instead they gave us this goofy white-haired and beared image of what many would believe God to look like.

I'm holding out for it to be merely Tulip's interpretation of what she believes God would look like...and everyone would see him/her differently.

Otherwise, the whole story arch of Jesse trying to get Genesis back, yet he's trapped with Grandma is super intriguing. Cassidy has never been better. The whole dynamic with Jess and Cass is played out great. TC and Jody are still interesting and unpredictable...including TC's "dingle." I laughed aloud when TC showed Tulip his dingle and claimed there was a draft in the room.

So many things don't bode well. There's Cass' love position/spell. Whatever happens in the tombs, glue sniffers, Madam Boyd, and them finding out that Cass is a vampire.

Really, I think this is shaping up to be the best season yet, if they keep it up.

The fact that Jesse is nearly powerless at the moment only increases the tension. How will he escape this?

The only saving grace about the God part is now Tulip is fully onboard to find him and do some damage.

13. vince

I think the 'good news' (so to speak) about Tulip's little skuffle with God is the fact that God's KNOWS Tulip's gonna whatever Tulip WANTS to do!
    So, when she goes up against Grandma, I feel she's gonna have bit of 'righteousness' on her side.
    Sure, I feel the whole 'tomb-fighting' is a bit stupid, but...you gotta love the fact that we have no idea where they're going!
    Sadly,i couldn't stay up for the show, and, the 'On-Demand' version was really 'choppy', so, I'm gonna try to get up a 4 in the morning, on Sat., so I can watch it again!

14. EVOLVIST

I feel like the last person standing. Heh.

Best season so far.

As with every episode there's at least one goofy spot. This time the devil was a bit cartoonish. Then again, the show is based on a comic book.

Still, not as much laughs, but excellent writing, directing, scene changes and multiple plots. The look and feel is aces, as well.

Preacher is the best show when the best shows aren't running. :-popcorn:

Kyhl and marmalade166 like this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

They turned up the old ultra-violence a few notches this last episode, loved it! Its amazing how accustomed we've become to 'comicbook violence'. Movies or TV, people getting smashed and chopped every which way, but I think its kinda like fireworks, can be bombastic and impressive to look at but it's (relatively) safe. Unlike say, an MMA/UFC fight, where when you see the hits and the damage, it's a totally different experience! Tellyawhat, was good to finally see Graham McTavish after seeing his name in the credits all season (A-face has also been missing along with Hitler. I'd be fine not seeing either one again but...). Not funny? Cassidy in the box cracked me up!;)

16. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Crazy show. I've loved it since the first episode. Sunday night's show was amazing. Lots of laugh out loud stuff.

Craig likes this.
  17. vince

I was gonna ask if the devil is portrayed the same way in the comics.....AND, does Tulip stand up to God in the comics, too?

18. EVOLVIST

Honestly, I don't recall the devil in the comics, but that's because I haven't read the comic since its original run. He might be in there. It's a long tale. If he was, it's a minor role.

I'm pretty sure that Tulip never had a conversation with God. Then again, the gang from Preacher never spent this much time in Angelville, either. There is a lot of new stuff in the show. It's very good, and makes sense in the overall picture, nonetheless.

19. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I've just read the Preacher 4 issue side run Saint Of Killers that has the Devil, where he also makes a deal with the Saint and returns to earth, although there is a lot more to it

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. vince

Just saw the Comic-Con trailer....
    MAN!, this is gonna be good!

21. vince

Now, THAT'S more like it!
    i know it was good, 'coz I was able to stay awake for the whole thing!

22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It's slowly warming up...

vince likes this.
  23. vince

You got that right...
    It was a slow crawl to introduce the new characters, but I think it was worth it!

24. EVOLVIST

I don't know; I think this season has been on fire since Episode 2.

A really great episode for this week. I finally think it's getting to be above popcorn level TV, yet it still retains its dark humor.

I loved the MacGyver stuff that Jesse pulled out. It actually seemed like it would work.

The Cassidy stuff was brilliant, and where he ended up was holds a lot of intrigue.

The only thing, I was watching this On Demand, where sometimes the video pauses and I have to reset it. I'm watching and...
    all of a sudden Jody is chained up and Tulip is free. I must have missed something here. How in the hell did that happen? I might have to download the episode just to find out.

The introduction of the All Father was cool, but I don't imagine he has a large part to play.

25. vince

Re: Jody chained up....
    That wasn't your 'On-Demand'! I, too, had the fear that I may have fallen asleep, but, I think we're just to assume that Tulip went all.....'Tulip' on him!

EVOLVIST likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.