Your Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Aug 9, 2017.

1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Don't forget Laserdisc, also on Wikipedia.

Reader likes this.
  2. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I have the recently released Fire Walk With Me bluray. That's it....

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I went crazy with Criterion buying this month. Very happy about it too! "Kiss Me Deadly" was my final purchase today. I had
    "Television Toys" on laserdisc when it came out years ago & loved it. I Would love to see an expanded version release on Blu-Ray.
    "The Atomic Café" I have on DVD & would like to see a Criterion version with lots of supplements & historic background info.
    [​IMG]

ando here likes this.
  4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Just picked up Cameraperson (2016).

[​IMG]

An excellent deal at half off. The 2 disc set regular price is just under $20. It features a film collated from 25 years of cinematographer Kirsten Johnson's outtakes of various film projects. They're anything but random, however; in their startling, almost brutal chronicling of real events around the world they're edited to form an unforgettable portrait of the woman behind the lens. They extra features include several intriguing conversations involving the challenges of location shooting in often hostile conditions. A must for fans and practitioners of documentary filmmaking.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Mr. H and The Hud like this.
  5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Thief
    A Hard Day's Night
    Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
    The Game

I will usually pick up one of the more modern titles if it's not something I already own. I only bought the Thief Blu-ray because the one I had was the non-anamorphic DVD from 1995 and it was just awful. The Criterion version is unquestionably better.

6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I finally got around to watching The Royal Tenenbaums. I have to say I really like it.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I first saw it in its initial cinema run, in late 2001. Loved it then, and it remains my favourite Anderson film to this day. I find it rewards multiple viewings.

Just something about it that really connects with me. It reminds me of Salinger’s Glass family stories.

Gavinyl and mikeyt like this.
  8. stepeanut

I can’t find any mention of Volker Schlöndorff’s Baal (1970) in this thread, or anywhere else on the forum.

It’s a rough watch — as any good production of Baal should be — with purposely ugly mise en scène and stagey dialogue, but Fassbinder was born to play the lead role. So prescient, given how Fassbinder’s career would pan out.

Anyone else pick this one up?

9. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Not sure if I can accurately say which of my collection are Criterion efforts, but they include:

La Dolce Vita
    8&1/2
    Juliette of the Spirits
    Summer Interlude
    Summer with Monika
    Midsummer Night's Dream
    The Seventh Seal
    Wild Strawberries
    The Magician
    Through a Glass Darkly
    Winter Light
    The Silence
    Persona
    Shame
    The Hour of the Wolf
    The Passion
    Cries and Whispers
    Scenes from a Marriage
    The Serpent's Egg
    Face to Face
    Autumn Sonata
    Saraband
    L'Avventura
    La Notte
    L'Eclisse
    Blow-Up
    Modesty Blaise
    Days of Heaven
    Mississippi Mermaid
    Belle du Jour

There are others.

10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Well, I spent the afternoon with the double disc DVD, A Night To Remember, watching all the features. Some I found charming (the interview with survivor, Eva Hart) and some a bit overblown (The Iceberg That Sank The Titanic). The commentary track is one of the better ones from Criterion, with two lifelong followers of the Titanic disaster weighing in on all aspects of the film. The "making of" feature is exceptional as it gives insight into the conception of the film, the book which inspired it and a fascinating account of the actual tragedy.

While it remains the best of the Titanic films (in my eyes) some technical aspects leave something to be desired; the most obvious of which is the splitting apart of the ship once the bow had submerged (as pictured above). What we get in the film is a perfect 45 degree dive of the Titanic with its center practically in mid-air. It just looks wrong. I suppose what continually fascinates people about the disaster is that the horror of what actually occurred was so incredible that it can never really be captured or recreated in a film. It's certainly understandable why many of the survivors initially hesitated to see the 1958 premier of this version. But it's an unforgettable experience in its own right.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Not yet, but I intend to. I've been waiting for the semiannual Barnes & Noble sale (which I believe starts on July 3) to pick up recently-released Criterions, and Baal, Female Trouble, Midnight Cowboy, and the Sternberg/Dietrich set are at the top of my list. The forthcoming A Matter of Life and Death would top the list, but it's not due out until July 24, so I may have to wait until either B&N's end-of-year sale or the next Criterion flash sale for that one.

stepeanut likes this.
  12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Yipes! I never would have guessed I have so many Criterions. I can't lay off those bi-annual 20% sales. oh and isn't one of those coming up? (I'm hopeless...)

Samurai Trilogy
    Sword of Doom
    Three Outlaw Samurai
    The Killer
    Hard Boiled
    Branded to Kill
    Tokyo Drifter
    Peeping Tom
    Louie Bluie
    Night Porter
    Third Man
    F For Fake
    Red River
    My Darling Clementine
    Young Mr. Lincoln
    Fiend without a Face
    The Lady Eve
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Naked Lunch
    Youth of the Beast
    The Complete Mr. Arkadin
    White Dog
    The Furies
    Repo Man
    Stagecoach
    Crumb
    Night of the Hunter
    Godzilla
    Jubal
    I Married a Witch
    it's a Mad Mad World
    A Hard Day's Night
    Eraserhead
    Palm Beach Story
    Mulholland Drive
    Burroughs: The Movie
    Lady Snowblood
    Inside Llewyn Davis
    In a Lonely Place
    Dr. Stangelove
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    Steel Helmet
    Rumblefish
    Othello
    Ghost World
    David Lynch: The Art Life
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
    Eclipse Series 17: Nikkatsu Noir

13. stepeanut

I’m up to 81 discrete Criterion releases, and I consider that a small collection. It would probably be bigger if I didn’t have a complete MoC collection (currently 191 spine numbers), however.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Glad to see Bottle Rocket #1. The Country Club scene when Mr. Henry takes down Future Man distills all the behavioral archetypes of existence - conflict, humor, pathos - into the greatest scene ever filmed.
    "Excuse me?"

"I don't think so."

15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Chimes at Midnight
    Badlands
    Barry Lyndon

I usually go through the Special Features first then watch the main feature days afterward. Did Chimes last night, Barry Lyndon tonight. For years I watched a beat up VHS version of the Kubrick film. It's really what I remember; so watching this edition yielded some fantastic discoveries, to say the least.

16. stepeanut

The Criterion edition of Barry Lyndon is lovely. Not a huge step up from the old BD, but it does look more filmic, and the shift in aspect ratio makes the framing just right. Nice, thoughtful extras, too.

Chimes at Midnight is a revelation compared to the first version I saw on DVD. For years, it was difficult to see any copy of the film at all. A dream release, for me, when it finally came.

If you haven’t already, see the Criterion edition of Orson Welles’s Othello. It is one of Criterion’s best editions in recent years. Again, a revelation when compared with the 1992 Beatrice Welles restoration we had to live with for 25 years. The comprehensive extras are the icing on the cake. It’s a hugely important release that did well in the annual polls, but hasn’t garnered much discussion on Internet forums.

ando here likes this.
  17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Ha - couldn't help but muse at the Beatrice Welles quote in regard to the the Chimes restoration, "Now this he would have liked."

Never liked Othello, the play, and I've never seen a film treatment that made the melodrama more interesting (egotists and villains bore me unless they're wrestling with something intriguing like Angelo in Measure For Measure, for instance). Welles' cut-and-paste narrative is certainly most transparent in this treatment. To my mind, the much maligned, earlier Macbeth is less frenetic and a generally stronger film due to the longer held tracking and zoom shots and far slower pace, not to mention a much better acting performance from Welles. Though, as you point out, the extras on Othello, particularly Filming Othello, are a standout.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  18. stepeanut

Horses for courses, I think. Personally, I’ve always enjoyed Welles’s take on Othello, despite his usual acting tics. He could be a real ham at times, especially with Shakespeare. I like his direction here, though, and, in particular, his take on Iago.

N.B. Last winter, we visited Venice, where we saw, amongst all the other architectural treasures, the church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli, where Othello marries Desdemona in Welles’s film. The same church was also used by Nicolas Roeg in Don’t Look Now.

I’m also a fan of the 2001 television production of Othello by Geoffrey Sax.

And yes, I like Welles’s Macbeth, too — especially the longer ‘Scottish’ cut.

ando here likes this.
  19. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Might as well mention Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale starts today and goes to Aug 6.

20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Yeah already spent the rent. Oh well. we'll have burgers instead of steak for the 4th! :idea:

Brand Upon the Brain
    Spirit of the Beehive
    Au Hasard Balthazar
    My Winnipeg
    8 1/2
    The Shooting/Ride the Whirlwind
    In the Mood for Love
    Two-Lane Blacktop

What did YOU buy?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  21. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

400 Blows
    Seven Samurai
    Le Samourai
    My Darling Clementine
    Mulholland Drive

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I knew July was going to be expensive; this, Arrow's edition of Last House on the Left, Ready Player One, a few CD's of interest (Welcome to the Blackout by David Bowie and that misplaced Coltrane album) plus my dad's birthday.

eeglug likes this.
  23. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Just picked up The Color of Pomegranates (Sayat Nova), one of the most formal yet (because I'm not nearly as informed on Eastern European/ Middle Eastern religious iconography as I should be) inexplicably beautiful films I've ever seen. It's Sergei Parajanov's famous bio/moving tableau of the life of poet, Sayat Nova. The line between profundity and clowning is practically erased in this film - one of its chief virtues.
    [​IMG]

stepeanut likes this.
  24. stepeanut

Remarkable film.

I bought the Region B Second Sight BD a few months ago. It contains both cuts, whereas the Criterion only has one. I’d recommend it, if you’re smitten with the film.

25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Just added these to my library today. "Red River" came with a book too. I'm happy.
    [​IMG]