Johnny Carson Returns: Antenna TV to Air Full ‘Tonight Show’ Episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Its too bad that the Jack Paar Tonight Shows don't exist nor do the first 10 years of Carson. Those were different shows with a totally different vibe. Those shows were more about interesting conversation and Carson would always have an author on the last half hour. The show changed when it moved to California.

MikaelaArsenault and rburly like this.
  2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I'm going to make the wild claim that despite the apparent known fact that Johnny may have not like Bob Hope I truly think that Bob Hope, in fact, did not like Johnny Carson.

Watching clips of both of them interacting it's clear to me at least to me that Johnny either out of respect for his producer Fred DeCordova (who appears to have a long history with Bob Hope) or from a genuine respect for Bob Hope as a comedic legend, I see that Johnny respects Bob Hope tremendously. It is Bob that does not reciprocate any of it back to him who is rather cold and dismissive of Johnny.

Bushkin may have mentioned in his book that Bob Hope's planned banter may have annoyed Johnny but it's clear watching him in many of the Vintage interviews that Bob Hope is very much present in his interviews and really isn't phoning it in. That may have been the case in later years when hope was getting elderly but in the 70s Hope waa still a vibrant performer on the Tonight Show.

It looks to me that something may have gotten lost in tanslation for Buskin. To me it looks like Hope couldn't stand Carson at all

3. James Slattery

My two favorite Bob Hope stories, one of which was just a quip from a newspaper reviewer. This is back in the 70s when Hope and Jack Benny were doing sporadic specials on network TV. The reviewer was writing about how Hope was then in his 70s and Benny in his 80s. He said, "I know they are institutions, but then so are the pyramids and I don't laugh at them".

The second was told to me by a cameraman who had worked on a show with Hope. He had asked Hope what sex was like in your 80s. Hope replied by asking the cameraman, "do you like to f***? The cameraman said yes. Hope told him, Do It Now!

krock2009, Dave Garrett and MRamble like this.
  4. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Johnny C. > B.Hope

Hope was never funny to me.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Regarding Bushkin's book, The Carson Podcast just had Johnny's tennis instructor on the show. It was a fantastic episode. However, the impression I got from the instructor's comments is that much of Bushkin's book was pantently untrue to the point he was angry about it. So, who knows...we weren't there. The instructor gave the impression he and Johnny were pretty close. He also gave the impression there was strong reason for Johnny to part ways with Bushkin, where as Bushkin seemed surprised and that it was very unfair of Johnny to do that to him. If you have a chance, give it a listen.

krock2009, Benno123 and MRamble like this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

He was to his generation much more.

Benno123 and MRamble like this.
  7. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I will check that out thanks for mentioning. I guess it goes to show that a person can have their perspective on things that may or not be accurate. A person singular perspective must be taken into account.

I feel that was the case with Bushkin. He may have sensed Johnny was frustrated with Hope but was way off on the reason.

8. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I never felt Johnny or Bob disliked one another, I just think Johnny didn’t like the fact that Hope was free to just drop in or show up on his show whenever he wanted to. I think it was more a grudge towards NBC and the contract that allowed that than anything else.

MRamble likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

88ish Hope still seemed sharp in this 1991 interview with Howard Stern

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

For the record, Bushkin is not the primary source of the story that Carson disliked Hope. That story comes from Tonight Show producer Peter Lassally, who was interviewed by Richard Zoglin for his book about Hope. As noted in the excerpt I just linked, Lasally says Carson respected Hope but felt that he was vapid and not a good guest.

MRamble likes this.
  11. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

For those interested, a new Johnny Carson DVD set was released recently. It is called More Tonight which has a strange tie in with the new drama series "There's Johnny" on Hulu. Apparently these shows appeared in the series and they are now available for the first time in complete full episodes.

Just got mine today and for some reason they've decided that the musical performances could not be included so they have been excised from the episodes. Besides that these are some really great fun shows. A few random original commercials are intact but for the most part they are just the broadcasts.

More Tonight

12. The line-up of guests look entertaining, including Don Rickles and Rodney Dangerfield.

MRamble likes this.
  13. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

The Rodney Dangerfield appearance is especially fun. Apparently he was in the studio next door and Johnny invited him to come say hello. Rodney was clearly not prepared for the appearance so he is surprisingly a little on edge and uncharacteristically lost. He awkwardly fumbles through some jokes and is not his usual machine gun fast self.

14. Ian L.

Ian L. Active Member

Hey, first time user here.

I've been watching Johnny Carson on Antenna TV shortly after it debuted. I was too young for the show when it first aired but after I saw the Best of 60s/70s, 70s/80s, and 80s/90s tapes, I wanted to see more, so I'm glad Antenna TV got the rights to air the full episodes instead of the chopped up versions on that box set released years ago.

One thing I noticed after watching a few episodes is that they replaced the band's live music (heard when coming back from commercials or when guests come out) with various stock music pieces. I was first tipped off when I suddenly heard "Grate to be Back" by Roger Dexter and Dominick Nangle being "played" by the band. Since then, I've been on a hunt to identify other stock pieces used in these airings.

So far, I've managed to identify these stock tracks used in the Antenna TV reruns:
    - Brass Blast - Roger Dexter [often plays over the end credits]
    - Cruiser, The - Richard S. Dixon
    - Eddie's Boogie - Ed Palermo
    - Feelin' Lucky - Ed Palermo
    - Grate to Be Back - Roger Dexter, Dominick Nangle
    - High Heels - Jerry Williams
    - Home Base Blues - Ed Palermo
    - Jumpin' Jeans - Ed Palermo
    - Ladies & Gentlemen - Ed Palermo
    - Look of Love - Roger Dexter
    - Mainstreet Strut - Richard S. Dixon
    - Mambo Cabana - Ed Palermo
    - Outta Here - Robert B. Honey
    - Swing Time - Thomas Foyer
    - Time to Shine - Roger Dexter [plays over the Carson Productions logo]
    - Vamp is Back, The - Ed Palermo
    - Wheel of Cheese - Roger Dexter, Dominick Nangle

There are still a few I haven't identified yet; if anybody knows of other pieces, feel free to list them here.

15. shokhead

What ch in the LA/OC area is antenna tv?

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Oh Gosh.........so do I!!! The 70s were the best.

rburly likes this.
  17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

KTLA 5.2.

18. shokhead

:righton:

AKA likes this.
  19. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Stern is annoying as fudge in this. Hope is doing great when he gets an opening but Stern blathers on incessantly.

20. Ian L.

Ian L. Active Member

Found another stock music track: "Undefeated" by Roger Dexter. Since it's a soundalike to the "Rocky" theme, it's appropriate that it was used in Sylvester Stallone's 1985 interview.

cathandler likes this.
  21. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Me too, but I don't miss the hideous furniture.

chilinvilin likes this.
  22. James Slattery

I was just thinking and I wish they would run the show from 1/16/80. I remember it because Joe Namath was on with Stephanie Faracy, a real hottie. Faracy was a big fan and when she told Namath she would like to see him and so would her sister, there wasn't really any doubt as to what she was talking about. First time I ever saw a 3-way being arranged on television before.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  23. Ian L.

Ian L. Active Member

Found a few more stock pieces used in the Antenna TV reruns:
    - Creole Kings - Patrick Prouty
    - Mi Carmelito Alt - Harry Scorzo
    - Riviera Swing - Patrick Prouty
    - Swing in My Step - Patrick Prouty

These tracks can be listened to on Homepage | Miles of Music , btw.

cathandler likes this.
  24. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I recall a night when Johnny had Bob Hope and Robin Williams on the same show. As they sat together on the couch/chairs, it was such a contrast. My parents couldn't understand how Williams rapid fire humor and delivery was funny, and I couldn't handle Hope's scripted unfunny banter. Hope himself seemed clearly befuddled and likely annoyed at Williams. Different expectations by different generations I suppose.

Gregory Earl likes this.
  25. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I've always found Williams to be tiring. Quantity was not quality.

dewey02 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.