GLOW - Netflix Series (6/23/2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jmobrien68, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Watching this now. Neon made me laugh so hard I hurt my ribs.

2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

It's 2am on a weeknight. I am 9 eps into a binge and getting ready to watch the last ep.

Maron better get an Emmy nomination, is all I'm saying. Brie is damned good, too.

3. Scopitone

In Soviet Union, TV watches you!

*Sings Yentl*

4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Wife and I started watching last night.
    Pleasantly suprised. Lots of fun.

5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    "I like art that tells you exactly what it is."

Ignatius likes this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I read this in Alison Brie's Russian accent.

Dan C and Scopitone like this.
  7. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Alison Brie is really funny in this show. I thought she did a great job. Overall the first season was a lot of fun; not amazing, but fun.

8. Scopitone

I'm starting ep3 of my second viewing.

9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I watched the first 10 episodes and enjoyed it. Just went and watched the documentary on the real GLOW (which I hadn't heard of before), which is also on Netflix. You can see the Netflix series took a lot of things directly from the real show.

I really liked the opening animation paired with Scandal's "The Warrior". It's a little strange that they didn't show that sequence more. Good soundtrack too, though I was puzzled by use of Roxette's "The Look", given that this is supposed to be 1985.

A couple of non-sequiturs:
    - an Allan Havey sighting!
    - the Marc Maron character is drinking a Moxie in one of the scenes!

Jason Manley likes this.
  10. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Alison Brie is amazing in this show. She makes the show as far as I'm concerned.

jeroemba likes this.
  11. Marc Maron makes this show as far as I'm concerned. He was distasteful. I watched it because the wife wanted to, as she was a fan of GLOW when it was on TV (go figure; my wife was a roller derby girl for 11 years). I don't remember GLOW at all, but then it again, it started in 1986, my wife is 4.5 years younger than me, and by the time GLOW was on I had already stopped watching wrestling.

I guess one could say the show was "fun." I have no idea if the wife wants to watch Season 2. I could go either way.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Kind of surprised at the middling reactions on this thread. My wife and I can't get enough of this show. We just started watching last week, finished episode 7 last night. I don't want it to end!

Marc Maron and Alison Brie (she's always amazing) are terrific, but the entire cast is great too. A really good ensemble crew. I'm a sucker for the 80s and stories of lovable misfits.

dan c

Andy Smith likes this.
  13. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seems to be great chemistry among the cast which bodes well for the upcoming season 2.
    All the girls from the cast attended a recent WWE PPV in Los Angeles and based on the videos and pictures that Alison shared on social media it looks like they all had a blast being there.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I really enjoyed this and look forward to season two.

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Coming back to this, we watched it all and enjoyed it. Will watch another season.

I think one more season is all it has however. That's no bad thing.

Dan C likes this.
  16. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this (on ep 6). First two episodes weren't anything to write home about but then it picked up some nice steam.

17. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I loved the show!

I used to watch pro wrestling when I was a kid, but couldn’t watch GLOW since it was on a channel we did not get (we only had ine channel, actually). I do remember watching the GLOW vs WCW week on “Family Fued.”

18. edmondbob

edmondbob Forum Resident

Maron is great (I'm a fanboy anyway) and as other have pointed out perfect for this role. Otherwise though I think the series ran out of steam fast. I pretty much bailed out around episode 10.

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I wasn't a huge fan before (I didn't particularly dislike him, just not a fan), but he was absolutely perfect in this role.

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Season 2 next Fri!

21. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

bingeing for a second time today and introducing to the wife. an absolutely killer show. emmys better pay attention! might be my fave show of the last 3-4 years. come on season 2!

George P likes this.
  22. You need to get out more. :D

23. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

might you have some choices you think i have missed? please share.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Binged S2. It was just as enjoyable as S1.

It wasn't all that different to the first season - I think they could have mixed things up a little more. Sure, there were various individual character arcs, but the overall direction of the show was pretty similar. They also somewhat upped the cheese factor quotient surrounding the gals' character antics, which I could have done without (especially one entire episode towards the end of the season). I get that's the nature of the beast, but still...

But heck, I loved watching all the gals back together again and season 3 seems a sure thing given how it ended. Can't wait and thumbs up!

25. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Halfway through S2 - a notch below season one so far but still a cut above most things out there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.