? for those who order from Soundstage Direct

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Budysr, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I bought a used Rega Aria from them earlier this year. Shipped next day and I am loving it.

pathguy likes this.
  2. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Already filed on Friday.

btf1980 likes this.
  3. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Glad it worked out! :righton: Though because it was used, it was "in stock".

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

He did. I was afraid he would wait too long and PayPal wouldn’t help, but I think it’s been six weeks so he should be okay.

btf1980 likes this.
  5. vinylsmokes

vinylsmokes Well-Known Member

Looking back on this thread, you posted last Friday that you placed a dispute with PayPal. Is that correct? According to PayPal, it typically takes 10-14 days, but can sometimes take a month or longer to resolve.

pathguy likes this.
  6. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Yes that's correct. Paypal will get back to me within 10 days. I just find it interesting that a company cannot issue a refund.

vinylsmokes likes this.
  7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Hope it gets resolved soon. Cheers.

pathguy likes this.
  8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I recently canceled an order with SSD for 3 lps that I placed 5 weeks previously and paid in full for when I placed the order. Two of the three lps were listed as "normally ships in 10-14 business days".

At about the 3 week mark, not hearing a peep, I opened a chat line. Whoever was on the other end said they'd be happy to split my shipment, send the one lp they had in stock for no charge while I continued to wait for the other two. I declined that, wanting to be accommodating.

At the 5 week mark, I tried to open another chat, but there was a line of about 6 people that didn't seem to change for 15 minutes. Phone calls got an answering service, where I left two messages on different days, neither of which was returned.

I finally lost patience, and left a message via both the chat line and email saying I wanted a refund. No response to either. So next, I sent about 5 emails demanding a refund or threatening to open a paypal dispute. That did the trick, they responded nicely via email and refunded my payment.

I understand that Seth might be a nice guy. I realize this is a tough business. But jeez, either the distributor has the records in stock, or they don't. There is simply no excuse for charging someone and then asking them to wait for months to receive their orders, with no communication regarding how long this might take, or what the reason is.

I've learned my lesson. I'm done with SSD, at least until I see solid evidence they are doing a better job of taking care of their customers.

pathguy, Dave and vinylsmokes like this.
  9. vinylsmokes

vinylsmokes Well-Known Member

You went above and beyond with your efforts before opening a dispute. In fact, I feel you were well within your rights to do so after the first non-response, given how long it was since you ordered.

In fact, I’m impress by how many people are really trying to give them the benefit of the doubt when clearly they haven’t earned it. I’ll wait a few more days before I proceed via PayPal.

Meanwhile, my turntable is scheduled to arrive today from Music Direct. I’m ready to start spending more of my time and energy on why we’re all in this crazy hobby to begin with!

pathguy likes this.
  10. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I now see that there are three threads on SSD's problems. This is bad news and really the company should swiftly address the issues. Like, now. They're losing customers left and right.

mickster, HankM and vinylsmokes like this.
  11. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Update: PayPal approved a full refund.

I hope whatever is going on at SSD is remedied and certainly wish them well.

12. mickster

mickster Forum Resident

Good to know.....I filed a claim with PP the other day.

Jrr and pathguy like this.
  13. mickster

mickster Forum Resident

SSD is not out of business but Seth has left the company.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

How do you know this?

Dave likes this.
  15. mickster

mickster Forum Resident

He emailed a friend of mine.

Dave likes this.
  16. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I thought he WAS the company?

AmosM and bmh5879 like this.
  17. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

No wonder Seth came here and said everything was going to be alright. He knew he was jumping ship. :laugh:

18. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Hmmm. Did he sell the company to an employee or something?

19. To import CDs.com parent company, same people that bought popmarket

googlymoogly likes this.
  20. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

You would think there would be some kind of announcement on this.

21. I remember the Popmarket announcement came way after it became common knowledge.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Would be surprised if it was announced right away. That brand is damaged goods and probably bought only for the very nice web site/customer list and whatever inventory they had. They would be smart to settle all the messes that are outstanding before they do anything. If things were really bad, SSD would likely bankrupt out and surely the new owners would change the name. Likely a lot has to be done before they attempt to move forward. One thing’s for sure: no more 25% off sales! I have a Simon & Garfunkel MFSL preordered and I’m sure I was billed for it way back when. Kind of wrote it off in my head. Maybe these guys will take over the previous sales and honor them. If they keep the name they will almost have to; if they change the name it’s goodbye money I suspect....why should they take the loss?

dcottrell6 likes this.
  23. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Yeah I think they need to change the name and rebrand or refocus (hardware sales only maybe). Like I said , I can trace back the first signs of their demise to 3 years ago. Many of us figured out what was going on and saw the writing on the wall. It’s a shame because at one time SSD was my favorite online retailer and I was very loyal to them. Now here I am with my fingers crossed I’ll get the refund I’ve been waiting for.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have said many times he should have just focused on hardware sales. We spoke for a long time when I was getting a table from him (a few minor stumbles with that, but all and all it went fine) and as I used to own a record store, him and I had some things in common. He goes back a long ways and I sensed he really loved being in the business. That’s the problem with being in the software end. It’s sexy as all heck, and you really get caught up in it! I remember a Prince album coming out (Around the World In A Day...boy am I dating myself) and everyone waiting around to pick up their orders at the one stop (where dealers drove to pick up their new releases/stock if you didn’t have it shipped) were very excited to get their orders. It was a big deal if you owned a store and something big and new was coming out that morning for you to stock. You really felt like you were part of the exciting music business. Which in hindsite is pretty silly....all you are doing is creating more debt to sell something that needs to be offered On Sale for like .24 over cost the first week it’s out, or people will just drive down the street and get it there. Our industry gave away the very product that people would have been happy to pay retail for...I never understood that.

Anyway, he seemed caught up in all that and I think he really was having fun. But I can tell you this: it quickly all gets out of hand. Have you guys seen all the leftover Record Store Day merch in most stores? That has to be paid for...full price by the store. And there it sits! My local store has hundreds and hundreds of copies of stuff that is never going to sell, sitting in bins for like 75% off. The numbers don’t work....there is NO way they can sell enough other stuff to make up that loss, AND pay the overhead. Emotion really can get in the way of business smarts. And then suddenly, you owe more than your inventory is worth. And then what? What you should have done is never get in it in the first place. But it’s too late for that! Next, you should sell what you have and get out. But no one does that...it WILL turn around, right? I didn’t get out at that junture either. And then you get put on credit hold. Get out now? You should. But you can also take orders and use the money to rob peter to pay paul so that you can last until it REALLY turns around. Which is what I suspected SSD was doing for a long time. When that slows down? You should get out. Or, you can hold 25% off sales and watch some people, with undying hope that they will get their stuff because it’s a too good to be true deal, order anyway with all the red flags flying, and the business can hang on a bit longer. If you are on credit hold, you can often take the $500 you got from your “sale”, give it to your supplier and then they will release $500 of new product...that goes to the older sales, not generally to people that just placed them. At this point, the clock is ticking. And when too many people demand a refund, you lose your credit card processing abilities. End of game. Like you, I saw this coming a long time ago (see my posts above trying to warn people).

I asked him why he didn’t just stick to hardware. I don’t remember his reply, but I suspect he had a great plan in theory. Build a large client list by selling software, and then get into hardware and bail out of the low margin, horrible software business. I think he forgot something, if that was his plan! It’s really difficult to wind down a business segment (in this case, vinyl) once you are knee deep into it. I don’t think he went into this with any malice or intention to screw over anyone. He was very passionate about his business and he cared. But it’s that passion that can really blind you to the reality. I know because I made the same mistakes years ago! But...was it fun? Heck ya! He was a nice guy and was just too ambitious. You need some of that if you have a business, and most successful businesses have this in common: you don’t ever give up until you have no choice. But, it’s tough when it’s other people’s money that is at stake. When you can’t issue refunds anymore, you really need to stop the madness.

25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Nice post (seriously), but the dude is a straight-up thief. F - him. :realmad:

The Wall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.