Picture discs: Have they improved?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zapruder, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

Not sure I ever seen a picture disc release advertised as rare and or collectable. The usual release method was regular black vinyl first then a week or two later a picture disc edition or maybe a regular black vinyl with an extra disc included.
    Yes, this was done to increase sales and improve the chart position, but I never seen an advert in the many musical weeklys I used to buy saying..rare..collectable..that's a relatively new phenomenon.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

In my experience picture discs are noisier than colored or black vinyl. Colored vinyl sounds as good as black vinyl if the pressing is clean.

3. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I've had bad experiences with many. For me, "Elvis - Legendary Performer Vol 3", and a Rolling Stones live one. I got rid of them real quick.

Someone gifted me the recent Grateful Dead S/T picture disc and it actually doesn't sound too bad, the sound of the plastic isn't too audible. Perhaps they are improving. I still won't buy em though.

4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know? Thread Starter

Yep, that's one of the ones I mentioned in my initial post that got me thinking about this.

5. Droogmeister

There is a consensus appearing here..a positive one in respect of pic discs.

6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Are you gonna grab the "Anthem" one too?

7. Zapruder

Yeah, I'm actually pretty shocked. If, in fact, the manufacturing has gotten better, it could open the door for some interesting packaging and marketing opportunities.

Droogmeister likes this.
  8. Zapruder

I'm not, but only because it's the remixed version.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Have to admit I've never understood the allure of a picture disc. I sit down away from the turntable while listening to music and use a record clamp too.

Leonthepro likes this.
  10. Droogmeister

Me too, record on turntable, lower the arm and sit down. But, some people go as far as admiring the centre label, each to their own maaan.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Huh?

12. Zapruder

There are two types of people: those that can extrapolate data

:wiggle:

CBackley and Ayshpaysh like this.
  13. Droogmeister

Misposted

14. Droogmeister

And those that....?

15. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

My daughter bought me last year's Out Of The Blue - Electric Light Orchestra. Sounds pretty daggum good to me. Beautiful discs too!

Droogmeister likes this.
  16. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

My honest opinion is that sadly they haven't really improved over the years.

I own around 65 of them purchased between 1980-2016. They always have been, and still are, wildly variable in terms of surface noise, ranging from acceptable to completely awful. I've got good and bad examples from each of the last four decades.

Wish it wasn't the case as some of them are pretty sweet to look at, but it's still the same gamble it's always been.

violetvinyl and Leonthepro like this.
  17. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Here’s the disclaimer from Band on the Run and the No More Lonely Nights US 12” single.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I had the 1976 picture disc of Pepper and it was great to look st but noisy as hell

DK Pete likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have it hanging on my wall in a round LP frame. It does look really nice..but the new one looks even cooler spinning on the turntable as it plays.:cool:

wayneklein and Droogmeister like this.
  20. telliott

telliott Senior Member

That sounds like a cop-out. They are saying "Picture discs are more expensive to produce ane the label isn't going to spend a dime more just to ensure good sound quality.". My guess is that they just tried to make sure the disc looked good and wouldn't destroy the needle if someone attempted to play it.

21. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

The US one. The UK one (actually it says on the cover that disc made in Western Germany) sounds not bad. It sounds pretty similar to any late 1970s 2-EMI UK reissue.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Aladdin Sane - yick.

Lateralus - good.

So....um....maybe.

Or I just got unlucky with AS and luckier with Tool.

23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You completely misunderstand. Never did I say colored vinyl cant be quiet. I know its common to just think so but dont automatically assume that position.
    I meant that its just the nature of colored vinyl to partly be aimed toward a non audiophile market, which is why it in many cases does sound worse.
    And I did mention 70s Pic discs could be quiet too. QC has existed since forever and youre probably getting lucky with these latest purchases.

24. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

The irony in this one.

25. Droogmeister

Well..the irony of the statement not concluded..oh dear..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.