Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not often, but it has happened for a few like Hank Ballard and Freddie King. Still, they're right up there with Atlantic and Chess for labels whose artists could most use the Bear Family treatment. Complete Wynonie Harris, Roy Brown, Moon Mullican?

McLover, melstapler and Tribute like this.
  2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

A very rare cd with Moon Mullican.Includes complete seesions recorded for this producer:
    MOON MULLICAN - Seven Nights To Rock - CD - Import - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** | eBay

3. Svein Arne

This cd was in production a very short time.Maybe that is why it is expensive?very hard to find this CD now.I got mine in 2004:pleased:
    There are now 4 cd releases with Moon Mullican,Westside records had plans for releasing all of Moons recordings on King records.What happened to Westside records?o_O

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

PhantomStranger and Mr. H like this.
  5. Svein Arne

I just ordered the colored vinyl release from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Things-Remem...pID=51EQdnpoorL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
    I also bought this one on Ebay:
    Willie Nelson - "And Then I Wrote" vinyl LP Ltd. Colored Vinyl - Jackpot Records | eBay
    I like the early recordings from Willie best.
    A good day for a record collector.:goodie:
    Thanks for the headsup:pleased::tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Rick Bartlett likes this.
  6. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Wait, what? That's really going to happen?

Mr. H and DR.J like this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Svein Arne likes this.
  8. Svein Arne

9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ace and Westside both released two discs of Mullican's King recordings. The Westside CDs are chronological and presumably complete through 1950, while the Ace comps seem more scattershot. I just have the Ace CDs, but I'd like to get the Westside ones as well. All four are now out of print. Do we have any Moon experts who know if the Ace discs contain his complete 1950-1956 King output?

Links to all four: Moon Mullican, honky tonk pioneer, appreciation thread

No idea what happened with Westside. It was one of numerous subsidiaries of Demon Records, which is in turn owned by the BBC. Many of Westside's compilations still haven't been supplanted by other labels 20 years later, and sell for big bucks as a result. I pity anyone trying to hunt down Betty Harris' Soul Perfection Plus or Zeb Turner's Tennessee Boogie & Jersey Rock nowadays.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been recently listening to my BF Platters 9 CD box...just fabulous.

Mr. H, RSteven and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  11. Michael

Flatt and Scruggs boxes; they sparkle with amazing sound! have them all...

Svein Arne and Mr. H like this.
  12. Svein Arne

Moon Mullican is also on this cd box:
    & His Texas Wanderers (5-CD) | Bear Family Records

13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh my goodness, isn't the sound on this box set fantastic? Wow, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, Twilight Time, and so many others just sound so full and rich, like I have never heard them before. Definitely one of my favorite Bear Family box sets in my vast collection.

Mr. H and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

Indeed! SGIYE still gives me chills...so beautiful...that box is a treasure...

Mr. H and RSteven like this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

melstapler likes this.
  16. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Judge Judy likes this.
  17. Michael

18. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I seriously wonder of anyone has a complete Bob Wills Tiffany collection. I bought several dozen rare ones from a private dealer years ago, a number that still haven't been released commercially, but they were transferred from discs that weren't in the greatest condition, and while certainly listenable, they don't sound like the Real Gone set (which upgraded a dozen or so of my rarities).

I have more than 300 confirmed Tiffanys but I know there are even more. I actually wrote to Bear Family around the time they did their Columbia Wills box and asked if they had any thought of doing a Tiffanys box. I got a response saying they would love to do it, but that they couldn't get 'em from the rights holder.

19. Svein Arne

Several years ago Country music hall of fame recieved a big box/package with unopened/unplayed Tiffany records from someone that worked at the studio where these was recorded.There was not much more information then this.

melstapler likes this.
  20. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  21. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Svein Arne and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  22. Svein Arne

Bear Family records i am still waiting for a cd box from this great singer:wantsome:

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

24. Rick Bartlett

I wonder what a Buddy Holly autograph would go for? Surely wouldn't be many of those around.
    That set is priced at double the original was. Being only 88 produced with the Guitar Case, it's probably
    a great investment. I read somewhere, apparently Paul McCartney has one in his stash.

25. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

While this is one of my favorite bits of dialogue in television history, I'm not sure what it means in this context.