Any Butthole Surfers fans or collectors on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cake, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Just discovered this thread so apols for the late question, butt, are the remasters you mention on CD or just vinyl? Thinking of getting Double Live on CD back, as someone stole mine in the nineties. As you will be aware they cost a sh@tload and don't want to waste money if theres a chance of a reissue. Love this band, got into them in 1990, mainly because there sleeves looked so bizzarre. Glad I did, seen them once at Reading UK in 1996 at the festival, effing brilliant.

2. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

If you go to buttholesurfers.com and click the 3rd image from the left, it is an archive of free mp3 downloads from the band. If I am not mistaken, they put up a few hard to find/ expensive/ heavily bootlegged recordings so fans wouldn’t have to overpay for their music!

¡Viva le Butthole!

Oyster Boy likes this.
  3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I'd shell out a few $ for some good prime live FLAC Butt downloads.

4. Oyster Boy

Thanks, but I actually did get a CDR copy a few years ago and made my own artwork. I am sad, I want the real CDs, especially as I have originals of the rest.

CowboyBob likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Not sure if double live will be part of the new remaster series or not...

I am psyched for these though.

CowboyBob and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Also not sure if the planned remasters will be on CD. The preview Locust was vinyl only.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  7. Oyster Boy

My thinking is that they missed that one from the 99(?) remasters so doubtful. Just thought if there was a chance I may be wasting my money.

8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Just read the whole thread. Awesome. They remind of the crazy side of the 80s that was happening on public access tv and under the surface all over. Always thought they were from my town until recently. They seem so 80s sf to me. They also remind me of the Tubes with that crazy performance art stage show. Just LSD 60s in the 80s and of the 80s.

The guitar solo on Pepper is just Awesome.

Saw 'em at Lollopollooza and all i remember was them shooting shotguns. And thinking why are they on in the daylight. These guys need to be on at night.

I have the album with the Melvins which is super cool.

Which Butthole album should i get first? I own none.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    eyeCalypso likes this.
  9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Used to catch them at Circle A Ranch/Obscene in Dallas. You'd often note Jerry watching from the back of the room.

If you like them, you might also check out Stick Men with Ray Guns. Also a Dallas band.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  10. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Wow!

Put ‘Locust Abortion Technician’ on for size. There’s plenty to sink into on that one. If you come out on top, anchor’s aweigh!

Next up- Rembrandt Pussyhorse (with Cream Corn) or Psychic, Powerless Another Man’s Sac.

RPH is art rock par excellence, and Cream Corn has maybe my all time favorite BHS song ‘Too Parter’ ...

PPAMS is energentic and frenetic rock and roll. Their ‘debut’ full length long player shows so much promise!

Next, the culmination of years of honing the psychedelic blade...Hairway to Steven. My personal favorite. Off putting and bad ass. This one packs a punch. Acoustic guitar, delay drenched angelic vocal, double drummer conundrum...awesome!

If you’ve made it this far, you can’t go wrong with:

‘Self Titled (brown reason to live)’. Listening to ‘Hey’ brings back so many fond memories!

‘Widowermaker’, ‘Double Live’, ‘LivePCPPep’ and ‘Weird Revolution’ are outstanding. ElectricLarryland, Independent Worm Saloon, and Pioughd all have something extraordinary to offer as well.

I love it all!

11. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

YeeeeeeHhhhhaaaaaw!

Greenalishi and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. Echoes Myron

"Cherub"

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

14. Oyster Boy

Which album by the Melvins? Do you mean Pinkus Abortion Technician? Interested as I saw it in my local record shop the other day and was tempted.

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Mr. peppermint!

eyeCalypso and Greenalishi like this.
  16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yep. Came out to support his kid. No puppets though. :laugh:

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad that this thread is kicking butt again!

Greenalishi and Oyster Boy like this.
  18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Hold It In. Great record.

Thanks everyone for the info. Rock on!!!!!!!

Oyster Boy likes this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Honestly though if I were first introducing someone to the surfers I would start with Hairway to Steven and work backwards from there.

20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I had Weird Revolution on clear vinyl. It was... in mono.

Mr. H, Oyster Boy and Greenalishi like this.
  21. Oyster Boy

Been going through my Butts and related CDs today as a result of this thread. Had forgotten Gibby Haynes and his Problem and Paul Leary's History of Dogs, both of them are great IMHO and worth a listen.

CowboyBob likes this.
  22. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Have you seen this?
    The April 87 show at the VAC was the last time I saw the Butthole Surfers.
    My favorite Butthole Surfers show was at the Club Lingerie in LA in Jan? 86, right before they went to NY and played the infamous Danceteria show. No dancers, just sheer mayhem and strobe lights in a small club setting.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Mr Bassie, Cake and Greenalishi like this.
  23. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is some fantastic footage!

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Any word on when the remasters or new album will drop?

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Just realized it was the November show that was the last time I saw them live and this is footage from that show. A little better show (imho) and better quality recording (audio and video).

Greenalishi likes this.