Importcds uk buyers beware !

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by swintonlion, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not used importcds for awhile so thought i would treat myself to a mofi cd ,24 dollars plus the 7 dollars postage,school boy error did not check the final bill. When the confirmation email came total bill came to 38 dollars,added was VAT/GST 20 percent tax. Thought this is getting a bit expensive so 10 mins after the order tried to cancel, they replied, too late, now 7 dollars is not a lot of money but nowhere on their website do they say they pre pay the vat,maybe this is a good thing but PLEASE importcds inform you customers and from a former customer beware and check you final bill.

lightbulb likes this.
  2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Same with WowHD and DeepDiscount. Anything above £15 will have 20% added now. Started this week. Almost certainly enforced due to them posting items for last leg of journey from within the UK.

Shame you couldn’t cancel so soon after ordering, but it was your mistake for confirming the order. Easily done, I know.

scobb likes this.
  3. swintonlion

Yes my fault but 10 mins was as quick as could do a cancel reply. You mention wowhd do they add this fee on in the uk.

4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

All started earlier this week. Clearly, UK customs is clamping down on companies posting items from within the UK but not paying 20% VAT.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

On a positive Royal Mail don't get to add their £8 collection fee on top.

6. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

Apparently, for Germany it's the same. 19 percent on the whole sum including shipping just as I wanted to place an order an hour ago.

Importcds was my go-to-adress for quite some time, and I don't think I can find a good alternative for these good prices (shipping and goods) that don't raise these taxes.

7. swintonlion

Just tried a dummy run on wowhd uk and yes they do also add on 20 percent vat ,mad.

8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Australia has 10% GST tacked on now all purchases now - the Government decided to increase their GST cut by going after imports with a value of less than AUS$1000, whereas before July 1 2018, they didn't. Maybe the law has changed in the UK too. In effect, Import CDs, Ebay etc have become Australian (and probably UK) tax collectors.
    Amazon US took a different approach - open Amazon Australia and stop Australian shoppers from being able to use Amazon US. Amazon Australia collects the GST.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Amazon US has been collecting import duty from UK buyers for quite a long time, I think originally it was optional, but now they seem to add it onto everything, even below £15 although I've successfully got that refunded.

10. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

ImportCDs stole $100.

I stopped buying from them.

11. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I thought it was too good to last.

12. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Will the VAT remain in the UK after Brexit?

13. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Almost certain it will. I cannot see the Government getting rid of anything that brings them in money.

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Technically it shouldn't, but I can't see a government letting go of any of our money, they just love those taxes.

15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Oh, well :(

Fun while it lasted....guess I'll have to wait until the next ImportCDs sale then, before I buy from them again....

16. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

Same goes for me, unfortunately (except for some things that will likely go out of print very fast) :(

17. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

The same for me as well.

18. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If it wasn't that high already they probably want to increase it. If you think they are going to get rid of something that brings them money then you need more coffee.

cdgenarian and PhantomStranger like this.
  19. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Yeah. I was just thinking about it being a EU thing. But even Brexit seems it has gone a bit wobbly in the most recent news. :confused:

20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

The Brexit seems very wobbly at the moment, it sounded like that for the last two years and the countdown is still on but no matter what happens, I think there is no chance they'll ever get rid of that tax.

21. swintonlion

As far as i can see importcds and wowhd are the same company sharing the same address,so for uk buyers wanting a mofi cd price wise importcds is the cheaper taking in postage, tax i would say its about 7 pounds cheaper and no royal mail bandit tax.

22. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

Just been trying to put together an order myself. The v.a.t. is payable on all items ordered plus postage and makes a massive difference to the price, especially when you take into account the current exchange rate! I feel that it is really poor that importcds have not pointed out to their customers that they are now collecting this tax.

23. swintonlion

Yes you are right, no word on the website about this, i sent a email to complain they just blamed the british government, but wowhd are even dearer why i do not know as they are the same company.This is the straw that broke the camels back for me on pricing.

24. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Only applies if the item costs more than £15 though.

25. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

After adding $7 delivery charges to the figure it is hardly worth ordering a £15 cd from importcds.
    I have also just received a message from them confirming that vat is charged at the point of order even when you are pre-ordering something. I think you would find it very difficult to get these taxes back if you are trying to cancel an order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.