New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I would also like to know this, as I too returned my copy and (since I saw here that it was a general defect), I never bought it again.

2. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I've decided to become a Pink Floyd fan. I plan to listen to all their albums after I get back from the lake. I've never seen them in concert, but I went to a Pink Floyd laser light show in middle school. I'm starting a new chapter in my life.

3. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

My suggestion is to run like hell straight to the record store :hide:

4. Rather than waiting for the worms to come?

5. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

If it hasn't been asked (or even if it has), how do the new WYWH LP's compare to the 2-channel layer of the SACD?

6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Good question, but I doubt you'll get a definitive answer.
    The SACD is very good, but very different to my ears.
    Sometimes I reach for the original Japan or 2011 remaster (which is fantastic).
    Ironically, it was the 1992 remaster that beat out all other cd's in a recent shoot out.

7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I wouldn't really like to compare them as on my set up I do not think it is a particularly level playing field for a shoot out. The vinyl edition is lovely with wonderful packaging. I still have my copy bought in 75 but the black bag was lost years ago and the record played on many different turntables and old fashioned record players. I am very happy to have both. Re this reissue series on vinyl you can buy all the Floyd albums with great reproduced artwork at a good (in my opinion) price. From a point of view of sound quality I get the impression most folk on SHF think they are pretty good.
    I am pleased with my SACD and do not have a 5.1 set up. The 2 channel is fine for me.

8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

What was the problem exactly? I have it and mine has a minor problem that is caused by the raw material in my copy so I doubt you have the same issue. If you tell me I'll check it out as I don't recall hearing any other problem, but I've played it only once partly through headphones and partly through the speakers.

9. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Distortion on the higher frequencies, esp guitar. To my ear side 2 is unlistenable on headphones and I returned my copy. This is not pop/crackle or non fill noise. Thanks for your willingness to follow this up!

NunoBento likes this.
  10. jacden

jacden Senior Member

My copy of the remastered Delicate Sound Of Thunder doesn't have anything like that. It sounds magnificent throughout. A marvellous pressing. Maybe I was just lucky.

11. Uglyversal

I am still having a listen to side 2. I have used two cartridges Denon DL103 and Denon DL110. It depends on how strict we want to be and where we draw the line on what is acceptable or not. Since I don't know you it is harder to pass judgement on the record as I might be too lenient for your standards.

I would say first that I already had it earmarked to obtain an original UK or German replacement because I want a superb pressing of this record and for me this is not.

I don't think it is as bad as what you've described but may be you had a worse pressing than mine or your cartridge had more trouble tracking it. I played side 2 and I do indeed find some low level of distortion with the two cartridges.

I think I did notice this the first time I played it, but now that I was looking for problems the amount of drop outs on the first track Sorrow is quite surprising. It seems to come from the original tape, it is fairly noticeable at least in three parts. This time I listened the whole lot with headphones, my speakers tend to be a lot more forgiving.

I've got mine on a sale for just over 20 so I am not too concerned but if you like the record just try to find an original issue in good condition. The distortion might be on the tape but a good original will open up all the sounds, I am now playing "momentary lapse of reason original US and it is like if I am listening with a completely different equipment to what I used for Delicate sound.

12. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Delicate Sound Of Thunder is the only one in this reissue series that I’m not sure I want to get. It seems to be a gamble quality wise, and original Soviet DMM LP can be had here for less then $5 mint and sounds great.

zinan likes this.
  13. Uglyversal

If you buy a Soviet copy for collecting purposes is one thing but they are not what people search for sound, that record might be an exception but it would not be my first choice. Sometimes is worth paying for quality pressings.

Edit: I didn't realise you are near and can get it cheap without expensive postage but the German and Dutch are DMM too and would be my choice or the UK.

14. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Yeah, that one is an exception and I suspect it comes from the same metalwork as Euro pressings do. And you literally can buy one in the street here :)

15. Uglyversal

Yes I have noticed them before on the German ebay, there are piles of them and cheap too. I didn't know until you mentioned it that it was a DMM, you are probably right that the stampers might come fro the same mothers as the EU counterparts but don't assume they sound exactly the same. I have other records from different countries that came from the same mothers and they still sound different between them. It seems the Russian loved Delicate sound of thunder as there were lots of DVDs available in the past too, I don't know now.

16. BlackCircleVinyl

I assume your copy is an EU version? Mine was US... I wonder if that’s the difference here? Thanks.

17. BlackCircleVinyl

Is your reissue of A Delicate Sound a US or EU version? Thanks.

18. Uglyversal

Well, that is something I was trying to work out when I checked it out but I couldn't tell. The record itself mention the 25 Madison ave address but does not actually says where it is made so unless you know of any other place to look it might be a US press but I can't tell for sure.

19. BlackCircleVinyl

Barcode is the key here: US version is 888751843219 EU version is 0190295996932. These are on the big black hype stickers.

20. Uglyversal

Then it is confirmed, I have the US version, I bought mine not long ago but could have been hanging around in the shop for a long time. This is just a guess but they might have pressed one to many records with the same stamper and my copy was made before the problem got out of control.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  21. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Ah OK. I wasn't aware of the different pressings. Yes, mine is a EU copy.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I think A Foot In The Door is up for the next release.

Hattipper and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

There was a stray copy of the mono piper listed on Amazon Canada for just over $25, I just had to take the chance that it wasn't a mislabeled stereo copy. Wish me luck. ;)

Goldy, Hattipper and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Really? The Echoes compilation is much better!

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Had to look this up on Discogs. My brain refuses to acknowledge Pink Floyd compilations. :laugh:

Does UPC 0190295690199 (EU) or 190758199115 (US) bring up your purchase ?