The Beatles Yellow Submarine (Film) Returning To Cinemas July 8, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Honestly, I have the blu-ray and never felt it was an entertaining film except for the music.

culabula likes this.
  2. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Hand.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I Want To Hold Your ....

;)

Morton LaBongo and jlf like this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I took a quick look and even though I'm in the Chicago area the only place showing it fairly near my house has one showing tomorrow night but I can't make it in time after I get off of work .

I saw it at a movie theater when it was first released.
    It was one of those things where if you blinked, you would miss seeing it at a theater .
    I lived in Chicago but a buddy and I had to drive to Evanston or Des Plaines or somewhere else not particularly close to home.

Plus it was on a double bill with a cheapo spaghetti western we had to to sit through first .
    Keep in mind this was the first theater run of the movie not a couple of years later or similar .
    It struck me as so odd that the movie got pretty much zip exposure, at least by where we lived .

HarvG likes this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw it today and it looked beautiful. Rich color but not pumped up. I guess the audio is the same as 1999 Songtrack mix?

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It was the 1999 5.1 mix as far as I could tell.

chacha likes this.
  7. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Coincidentally, I watched the DVD of this two days ago. I'm not sure that I have ever watched the movie in it's entirety before this viewing. While the silly humor definitely dates the movie, it was the brilliant color that stood out to me. In a heightened state of awareness and sensitivity induced by LSD - the colors in the movie would have been mesmerizing.

8. Wow !?!?!!

Bern and chacha like this.
  9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

My niece was in Pescadero, CA today and came across a Yellow Submarine car....
    [​IMG]

mrjinks, Mark Wilson, BZync and 3 others like this.
  10. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I had a weird experience at the screening. One issue was that elements of the sound mix were dropping out, making me wonder if the theater speakers were configured incorrectly (or perhaps their mix selection). But the worst issue for me was that I was seeing the motion as stroboscopic (not smooth), and got pretty queasy and vertigo from watching. Took about an hour to shake off. I'm pretty sensitive to frame rate and digital detail; maybe I literally can't tolerate this 4k print? Then again, it could have all been this theater projection. My pal didn't experience the same reactions.

dee and chacha like this.
  11. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Went to see the first Toronto showing yesterday and I'm glad I got there early. I was 45 minutes early and was 18th in line to get in. The lineup was about 40 deep by the time they opened the doors about 30 minutes prior to show time.

While I am a huge Beatles fan and own the 2012 bluray, I have never watched the whole thing from beginning to end before and I'm mot sure why. Maybe the voice-actor thing turned me off a little and the classic "the band wasn't committed to it so why should I be?" mentality probably played a hand it in too. And while the story is what it is, the movie looked absolutely fantastic and the audio was phenomenal. I was highly impressed. Even though we didn't get any envelops or anything, the theatre was completely sold out and everyone there was singing along throughout - except for the George songs nobody else really seemed to know. lol

Totally worth going for the experience.

12. Bern

Bern JC4Me

If you are into "peeking" into mixes...the individual 5.1 channels are a good listen.

Bern

13. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

From Billboard magazine: The animated film Yellow Submarine has been shown a lot of love from both The Beatles and the public in its 50 years since its release in 1968. Starting today (July 9), to celebrate the movie's 50th anniversary, fans in the U.S. will be treated to theater screenings of the best-looking version of the film they've ever seen. That's according to Paul Rutan Jr. at Triage Motion Picture Services and Eque Inc., who led the team that re-scanned the film to the 4k resolution used on the Blu-ray and DVD release in 2012, as well as the theatrical cut to be debuted this week. “It's fully restored and it looks great,” Rutan tells Billboard in a phone interview. “The restoration that I did is state-of-the-art, the best that it can be,” he said.

Electric Sydney and Dinstun like this.
  14. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Seems clear enough, except I wonder what "theatrical cut" could mean. I'm not familiar enough with the movie to have noticed any difference with the film version I saw yesterday and the 2012 Blu-ray. Yesterday's theater version did include the "Hey Bulldog" scene, which I understand was missing from the original US theatrical release.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I think the author of the Billboard article (or his editor) misunderstood part of what Rutan said. The writer says the version we're now seeing in theaters is derived from the 2012 restoration, which is 100 percent correct, but he's under the erroneous impression that this theatrical version is also a different edit from what we see on the 2012 BluRay and DVD, and that is not correct.

He writes: "Although most of the work was used for the release of the Blu-ray and DVD, there have been other improvements that theater viewers will notice, too. “The changes that were made were made basically was replacing scenes that had been shortened, correcting sequences that had been changed for the United States market, and also inserting the 'Hey Bulldog' sequence," Rutan details. "And Apple did a new 5.1 stereo track." "

The way the article reads, it appears the Billboard reporter believes these new elements ("Hey Bulldog" and the 5.1 soundtrack) didn't make it to the 2012 DVD and BluRay and are exclusive to this new theatrical presentation.

One thing that bugs me is that Apple itself has touted this summer's theatrical release as the first theatrical presentation of the film since 1999, when the first DVD was released. It's not. This same version of the film -- Rutan's fully restored 2012 version -- was shown in theaters back in 2012 just before the DVD and BluRay were released. Like the current re-release, these 2012 showings were somewhat limited; a few hundred cities, with most cities showing it on a single day.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I saw both the 1999 and again 2012 "Limited" run theatrical showing in a big Multiplex . The current viewing this month are in various sized theaters, I went tonight to a 'sold-out" 300 seat digital cinema, and it's playing Friday through weekend in a local supported town theater (seats 150) about 20 minutes away.

17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Nor ours. Took the kids to see it yesterday, it was nice to see on the big screen. The sound was good as well. The twenty or so of us who were in the theater enjoyed it:laugh:

18. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I went to see it in a cinema in Dublin on Sunday.
    I had never sat through the whole thing before, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - the wonderful bright and colorful animation, crisply restored, and the clear sound. A real psychedelic gem.

We received a special 50th anniversary screening gift - an envelope with 4 Yellow Submarine cards and a sticker sheet, which is actually printed off-centre so there's no point in taking the stickers off!

19. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Saw it last night in Elgin, Illinois. Relatively small theater at a multiplex - looked to be sold out. The audience was attentive and fairly subdued. with some applause at the end

Great quality image and good sound, within the limits of the theater's sound system. Would love to see it released on 4K Blu-ray.

The coolest part for me was seeing it with a good buddy that was part of a group of friends that I saw it with in Chicago when it was first released 50 year ago. Crazy!

20. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Saw it at the 400 theater on Sheridan Road in Chicago when it was first released, and as I noted in my prior post, saw it last night in Elgin.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Very nice!

HarvG likes this.
  22. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I find the history of the film fascinating. There was always a bit of mystery around the "Hey Bulldog" sequence, but one of the surprises of the 1999 reissue was that other small alterations were made to the film after the initial release as well. Adding to the confusion, a 1980's BBC broadcast of the film I came across a few years ago is actually a hybrid version - essentially the "US" version of the film with "Hey Bulldog" awkwardly spliced in. It wouldn't surprise me if the other changes made to the film were largely forgotten through the 70s and 80s if the hybrid cut was what UK fans became familiar with over the years.

Another thing to note is that "Baby You're A Rich Man" was not in the original version of the film. Because this change was familiar to many fans, part of the song was included in the 5.1 surround mix where it was absent in the original mono track they were matching to. I'm surprised more people don't call out that the animation of the Beatles singing the song is nowhere to be found in the current "official" release.

At the time of the Blu-ray issue, I recall hearing that Paul Rutan's team had scanned the reels from the "US" version of the film and found they had the wrong material when it didn't match up to the audio. I'm quite disappointed this did not lead to the inclusion of the alternate scenes in high definition as bonus material - essentially a revised edit of "All You Need Is Love," the addition of "Baby You're A Rich Man," and a completely new "Beatles to Battle" sequence notable for its jazzy score unlike the rest of the film's music. All told, this is maybe two or three minutes of different footage, but at one point, this was considered the "preferred" version of the film. If not for the legend of "Hey Bulldog," the revised version may well have remained the official one!

Dinstun likes this.
  23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

We were at the same theater last night. When I bought my tickets there were only a few seats left in the first two rows. Then the manager came over and told the kid behind the counter that another theater had been added, so we were smack dab in the middle. Best part for me beside the movie (which was excellent) was talking to a kid of about 7-8 before the show. Asked him if he knew the words to the songs and he told me just Yellow Submarine. I made him promise me he'd sing along when they played it. Afterwards I saw him and asked him if he liked the movie and he said, "Yeah! Especially the Bluuuuuuue Meaaaaanies!"

24. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I video taped YS from BBC2 TV in the early 80s and it had Hey Bulldog intact. It wasn't until years later that I found out about the different cuts. It must've taken tons of hours of work to put together that sequence, it seems really odd to cut it out at any point, it's a great little segment.

25. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I attended the original screening in Elgin Illinois 50 years ago when I was 14 but couldn’t make it back this year having moved many years ago.

Unfortunately Denver was the closest place that was showing it last night 8 hours away so I had to pass this time, my memories returning to Elgin in spirit.

Of course back then it was just one movie theater in downtown Elgin but the name escapes me.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.