Surround music R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ed Hughes, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Meh. I've constantly had a surround SOMEthing in place since 1972.

I don't have any incentive to stop enjoying it. Certainly not the proclamations of yet another penny-a-word Some Guy On The Internet. How many of those people are out there, anyway?

I can't help but wonder if these recurring info-seeds are planted by content providers in an effort to condition us goobers to Get Modern and accept the inevitable stream of DRM-loaded, batch-mastered, Korporate-Approved entertainment on a pay-per-use basis?

Hmmm, my tin foil hat seems a bit snug today...

2. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Maybe I’m odd, but I like the stereo hi rez in surround music discs.

3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Parasound P7
    spl Electronics SMC7.1

bluejimbop likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Same. Aqualung, fleetwood mac, tusk, mirage, loaded, badmotorfinger, sgt pepper . . And whatever else of the big boxes in my cupboard, each have only one disc played

5. Kal Rubinson

All the time..................................if you consider classical music.

6. Kal Rubinson

I get lots of multichannel downloads the vast majority of which are classical.

7. +1 (no Netflix instead Amazon Prime)

8. I do too!

stax o' wax and wayneklein like this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well now that I've Googled it, and see Elliot Scheiner's involvement, I'll stand corrected. See ya over at QQ, as my Poco SACD has made it to Queens, NY. :bdance:

10. I have Prime too but for me that's a bonus to my shipping as I order a lot for myself and my business. Its a damn deal IMHO

11. A agree with you completely. Order everything from Amazon Prime. Many times my orders are delivered same day if not the next. With the amount of music I listen to, there isn’t much time for movies. Personally I find Netflix unnecessary but do watch a movie once in a blue moon with my Amazon Prime membership. Thousands of movies to choose from. :agree:

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Damn! I have about 25 or so Quad and 5.1 discs and now it's dead?Guess I will throw them out with my surround setup and go back to stereo.

13. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Has anyone listened to surround audio discs thru a soundbar? Ive been at people houses where the soundbar does a decent job with surround data. I have never heard a surround audio only disc thru one

14. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

That was the dumbest article. Car radio supported DVD-A? I thought that was just an Acura thing. For that matter, is supporting supporting DVD and audio isn't the same thing at all. The basic DVD spec is lossy. DVD-A was lossless and I agree with the others about the format war. So most people didn't have the means to decode the discs. Sony definitely went after the royalties they initially made from CDs, so they weren't going to let the DVD consortium take that away from them. There were a lot more SACD players in the form of Sony PS3s.

I'll bet the next article the author writes will state that 3D movies are failure, as well. This is what happens when you plagiarize Wikipedia, instead of actually doing research. BTW I'm not a big fan of 3D, but, I'm consistently stuck watching them because the 2D showings are always sold out for the movies I go to see.

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My friend briefly had his grandmother's old 1978 Town Car with a quad 8-track system built in!

Malina and Greenalishi like this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I must be imagining all my new surround discs :cheers:

17. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I have pre-HDMI MX 119 that still works pretty good for movies and multi-channel audio, plus it has an actual phono input. The new one does too. These are pretty pricey units. Man, I sure hope surround audio stays around at least until that multi-channel Bitches Brew SACD comes out in August.

fredblue likes this.
  18. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

This was my first home surround experience.

I borrowed a record from a friend with this diagram and instructions on the back of the LP (Music For Airports?). After having just seen the Yes Union concert, I immediately decided to try it with my new YesYears cd box set: specifically the tracks "Soundchaser" (that drum roll by Alan White!), and "Awaken". Then I remembered that I had a complete Pink Floyd catalog...the band that was famous for using surround at their concerts. I never looked back.

Also, if surround is passe, why do movie Blu Rays, DVDs, cable channels, and most streaming services (let alone theaters) still use surround effects and soundtracks? Because they do them right, and they know they are effective. They could easily cut back on film budgets and theater costs if they stopped wasting their time mixing movies in surround. Music in surround would catch on with more people with the correct exposure. Plenty of folks were impressed with recent Roger Waters and King Crimson live concert presentations.

Just as you will always have folks who prefer watching movies on i-pads and smart phones, you'll have people listening to mono and earbuds. That doesn't mean the rest of us don't or won't exist.

zen, fredblue and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

In the back seat. It would be very hard to sit center in a modern car.

20. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Maybe the sales numbers indicate a saturation point? There are plenty of albums that deserve this treatment, but arguably, physical media is declining in marketability. Personally, I dig for stuff that promises a new experience. I wish there was more!

21. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

You can never be sure without an autopsy.

pinkrudy likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

At least I outlived another music format. I am running out of formats though.

Andrew J and Ed Hughes like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Surround is Dead"
    "3D is Dead"
    "CD's are Dead"
    "Physical Media is Dead"
    "Broadcast TV is Dead"
    "Suits and Ties are Dead"

All written just to get some web-surfing sap to jump on it, and get a handful of cookies in his pocket. :rolleyes: Tell ya what would make one helluva lot of marketing "experts", advertising "consultants" and any other bottom-feeder who attaches himself to somebody else's industry to hopefully become "important" to somebody already making bank in the World Of Actual People With Value...we need a link we can post everywhere we can, entitled, "ClickBait is Dead".

PhantomStranger and formu_la like this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, no point is crying about it, surround is apparently dead. We have to accept that, and move on, and forget about multichannel programming. It's just forever extinguished, that's obviousl. Nobody care about hearing sounds from different directions, or getting a more vibrant soundstage in our entertainment listening, might at well hang it up. Oh well, this should free up more time for me, I guess I can go out to the movies more...

...where they spare no expense tricking out theaters, bringing us Atmos....:biglaugh:

25. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Artists such as jean michel Jarre is or has recently put out a retrospective compilation of his catalogue and decided not to include a DVD or Blueray of some songs in 5.1 instead included 2 x cassettes!

However he did apparently offer some of his classic songs in 5.1 Surround as a FLAC download if you are crazy enough to buy the box which includes the cassettes!

No wonder people say surround is dying. They (the record company) are digging their own grave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.