POLL: In which decade was radio the most enjoyable?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Radio has never been perfect, but, for years it has been essential for the music we loved. When did you really enjoy listening to the radio?

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

During my childhood, teen years I suppose.

trumpet sounds and Teek like this.
  3. Before the 70s it's blurry for me.

So it's the 70s, starting with the final years of freeform FM. Then my interest progressively switched to our national (French, and sometimes English too) FM station, where I could discover tons of jazz and classical pieces in shows hosted by romantic, quiet types... To say nothing of their unique broadcasts of amazing concerts in stereo (which I have collected a few tapes of)... Every time I tune in on that station nowadays I happen upon something or other that's alien to that world, so I don't bother anymore.

4. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Radio always has, and will continue to be, immensely enjoyable to me. From the late '50 until today, I have been blessed with living in areas with great stations even though I've lived in numerous locations.

Radio: Where would we be without it?

Curious Breeze likes this.
  5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

In the car with a pile of CDs?:shh:

6. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I picked 80s but really it was the period from about 1979 through 1987 then my interest in top 40 radio began to wane.

Eurofan likes this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Radio is still a big factor in my music listening -- local market terrestrial radio, both commercial and listener-supported; and satellite rado; and Internet streamed radio stations from across the world. It's also still a big factor in popular music: five million people tune into the top rated AC station in the NYC metro market; 4.3 million to the top pop station; another 4.1 million to its nearest CHR competitor. That's way more people than people who, say, bought David Bowie's Blackstar. For me it's equally a factor in my music discovery listening time, and equally enjoyable now as it was when I was a kid listening to AM top 40 radio in the earliest '70s on my Toodle Loop radio hanging from my bike handlebars.

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm guessing that most votes here will be based — just as music preferences tend to be — on the decade when someone voting was young and radio was playing the music they still think is the best ever made.

From an objective standpoint, though, radio was at its most creative in the 1960s (which, I admit, has the same musical correspondence for me that I just spoke of). But I genuinely believe that, on the Top 40 side, this is when jocks with the most personality and individuality also began to operate within a dynamic format in which elements were woven together tightly and creatively for maximum impact and excitement.

Of course, the latter part of the decade also saw the rise of "underground" or "free-form" stations. There wasn't much creativity in terms of presentation on such stations; in fact, at times some DJs began to believe that their droning line of patter was equally if not more important than the music they were playing. But there was still room for the best jocks — who at the time had free reign to choose all of their own music with no management interference — to creatively arrange songs within a set that complemented each other.

Back to Top 40…I know that at some stations the kind of dynamic presentation I spoke of from the 60s persisted into the 70s. I've heard some pretty amazing air checks from elsewhere in the country during the earlier part of that decade. But that wasn't reflected in my local radio market, which by then had followed a competing trend toward strict "time and temp" DJ-ing, the very essence of radio boredom.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

CKUA in Alberta and KMNO in Maui. Great current radio.

I listened a lot in the 70s.

10. I chose the 80's since those were the years I was glued to my radio, waiting to roll record on my cassette when a good song came on. But I still listen to the radio every day. I'm even starting to enjoy the overall sound and timbre of AM talk radio as a nice alternative when FM is either on a commercial break or playing songs I still love but never need to hear again.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

'70s...

WMMR
    WNEW
    WBCN

maui jim likes this.
  12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The Sixventies.

13. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree Mike....this poll is a good way to tell the average age of participants because most people will vote upon their teenage years. For me, 60's was by far the best. We had more freedom to be creative and personality oriented and sometimes could make our own record selections. Thanks

14. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Really it’s a combination and of the 70’s & 80’s for me, even though I chose 70’s. Radio during this era is how we got our rock news, new release info, concert & ticket information, as well as live concert broadcasts like KBFH.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  15. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The true answer for most people here will be "Whenever I was between the ages of 13 and 18," but my nser is "all of the above." There was radio of value in all of those decades, and in the ones since if you're lucky enough to either live in a college radio town or know how to listen to the good stations on your phone. If you think radio sucks, I'm sorry that you've never heard good radio.

16. Mid-sixties when we were pulling in pirate radio from ships floating in the North Sea. Radio Free Europe, Radio Luxembourg.

17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I voted 60's, but really I'd put the best years as between 1964-1973.

correctodad likes this.
  18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I never really followed the radio or bothered listening to it. I suppose my lack of interest in it stems from the fact that I grew up in a house full of music. My dad would always have the record player going. I always thought when I was younger, why do I need radio when I have my dad to introduce me to great music?

Shawn likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

60s. Absolutely no question.

skydropco likes this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I can't make a choice, but by research and history, I would say the era between the 40's and the 60's.
    The era before television must have been incredible.

anth67 likes this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Seriously no option for the last two decades?

I'd probably pick the 80's as, what a surprise, that was my formative years. But the aughts were no slouch either....a few decent stations here definitely keeps me tuned in when I'm in the car and Shazam on standby.

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I didn't listen the music much in the 50's and the radio was my prime listening source for music in the 60's so that is what I voted for.

23. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

For me it was B Mitchell Reed at KMET from early 1969 through 1973. After that, I didn't listen to that much radio. It started to get stale.

O Don Piano likes this.
  24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

You're a new member. Welcome.
    It's possible that you may not know that this kind of thread usually reflects only the personal, non-subjective opinion of the member responding.
    Those who like the music of the 60s will say "the 60s". And so on. Hopefully we can stay away from that tired argument.

For me, radio was truly exciting in the mid to late 60s when it was Top-40 driven. I have heard so many airchecks from this A.M. era on the late, great ReelRadio.com! It just seemed that whatever radio station you were tuned into was THE place to be! The DJ/air personalities were so good at what they did- keeping the energy up and making it all so fresh.

That said, the next trend in radio- FM and free form radio- was incredible for creating an environment in terms of respecting artists and their listeners. It was creative and unpredictable, at least in it's first few years, 1967-1970. The air personalities were MUCH more reserved, probably stoned, and thoughtful in putting together song sets.
    After a while, patience grew thin for such expansive format. Record companies wanted more exposure and paid for more airplay from their labels. FM radio became pretty much Top 40 for album cuts. Which turned back into regular Top 40 hits but with FM sound by the end of the 70s, and thru the 80s.

The 80s introduced new ideas, and fashions, in music and radio was instrumental in bringing that to those who were sick of 70s excess. Which quickly became 80s excess.

The 90s radio stations carried the cultural and musical shift the 90s brought along to those who were tired of the hair metal and dance pop of the late 80s. Which then morphed into Nu-Metal, and..........dance pop of the late 90s.

I personally don't think radio was terribly influential or useful once streaming and downloading became the norm in the early 2000s. Of course great music still can be heard, but radio influence is pretty nonexistent at least for the promotion of new artists.

I find it hard to choose between the 60s or 70s for true excitement and experimentation in radio.
    In the 80s, L.A. based KROQ blazed the trail of revolution to radio listeners.

So I can't vote.

25. Depends. AM or FM only?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.