The Ronnie Wood album by album discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

I think there's enough Ron Wood fans here on the forum to make this interesting...

I've Got My Own Album to Do is the first solo album by English musician Ronnie Wood, released in September 1974. An all-star project recorded outside of his activities with the Faces, it reached number 27 on the UK's New Musical Express chart. The title was thought to be a dig at Rod Stewart, who appeared to be more committed to his solo career than working with the Faces. Wood has said that the album title originated from contributors such as George Harrison and Mick Jagger "nagging me to let them go home" and finish their own projects. The album was recorded at The Wick, Wood's house in Richmond, south-west London.

During this period, Wood assisted Jagger in writing and recording the Rolling Stones' 1974 single "It's Only Rock 'n Roll", while Jagger reciprocated by helping Wood with his album's opening track, "I Can Feel the Fire". Keith Richards was another participant at the sessions, in addition to performing concerts in London with Wood to promote the release. Wood's collaboration with Harrison, "Far East Man", was re-recorded by Harrison and appeared on the former Beatle's Dark Horse album three months after the release of I've Got My Own Album to Do. Other musicians on the album include Wood's Faces bandmates Stewart and Ian McLagan, Mick Taylor of the Rolling Stones, and the all-American rhythm section of Willie Weeks and Andy Newmark. Pete Sears (Rod Stewart albums, Original Jefferson Starship, piano with Hot Tuna played bass and Celeste, and drummer Micky Waller of Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart albums played drums on “Mystifies Me” on the original LP release.

The Faces worked "I Can Feel the Fire" and "Take a Look at the Guy" into their setlists for a 1974 UK tour and two US tours of 1975. Wood performed "I Can Feel the Fire", "Far East Man", "Mystifies Me" and "Am I Grooving You" in his solo shows between 1979 and 2012.

Track listing
    All tracks composed by Ronnie Wood except where indicated.

Side one
    1. "I Can Feel the Fire" – 4:54
    2. "Far East Man" (George Harrison, Wood) – 4:40
    3. "Mystifies Me" – 3:19
    4. "Take a Look at the Guy" – 2:33
    5. "Act Together" (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards) – 4:25
    6. "Am I Grooving You" (Bert Russell, Jeff Barry) – 3:41
    Side two
    1. "Shirley" – 5:21
    2. "Cancel Everything" – 4:40
    3. "Sure the One You Need" (Jagger, Richards) – 4:12
    4. "If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody" (Rudy Clark) – 3:34
    5. "Crotch Music" (Willie Weeks) – 6:04
    Personnel
    Musician credits per LP's inner sleeve.

2. ohnothimagen

3. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Huge fan. Love the Ron-era Stones!
    I look forward to learning more from the SH forum geniuses about the Rembrandt of Rock!

4. ohnothimagen

Even though he wasn't yet a Stone, I've Got My Own Album To Do is probably up there alongside Talk Is Cheap among "greatest Stones albums that never were". Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and Mick Taylor all make significant contributions to the project, but it's Woody's show all the way. You've also got prominent guest appearances (if uncredited, in North America, at least- the inner sleeves I posted above were not used in the North American versions of the album) from Rod Stewart and George Harrison. It's a studio "supersession" kind of album, the drugs and booze flowed freely but I've Got My Own Album To Do is a classic just the same. "If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody" is the only song I really don't like here. "Shirley" is probably my favourite track, great bass playing courtesy of Mick Taylor on that tune.

painted8, Mother, ExHead and 12 others like this.
  5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Interesting...I had no idea Bowie was on this one.

6. ohnothimagen

Bowie? I see no sign of Bowie among Ronnie's scrawled album credits...Bowie was on the original "It's Only Rock And Roll" track, though, so David did make at least one appearance at The Wick during the album sessions.

Mother likes this.
  7. Dark Horse 77

I'm going by the first entry in this thread.

8. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Thank goodness for the reissue release for this album. Sounds amazing.

Classic album!

9. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Woody (or maybe it was Mac, I forget) mentioned that Paul McCartney also dropped by and played during the period this album was recorded, but apparently whatever he did is still in the vaults, if it still exists on tape.

Here's a fun cover version of the first track on the album, which happens to (not so coincidentally) feature Ian McLagan who played on the original:

10. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I like this all-star record. Cancel Everything is my fave track.

11. ohnothimagen

That was in Mac's All The Rage book, I think. And why not? Just about anybody else who was anybody in early 70's England popped in, why not Macca? But what the hell, first time I heard the album I had no idea about Ronnie's Faces connections, I was like, "What's he got Rod Stewart singing on the record for?":laugh: I was about thirteen or so at the time...

12. I bought this when it first came and put it on the stereo and plopped into bed with headphones. When "I Can Feel theFire" played I started yelling with glee when the famous voice says, "What'ca doing down there baby?" :)

13. ohnothimagen

Mick swapped Ronnie "I Can Feel The Fire" for "It's Only Rock And Roll"...I still think Ronnie got the better part of the deal!

Three more off the top of my head observations about the album:
    One, you'd never know it was Ronnie's debut album for hearing it. The core band sound like they've been playing together for years.
    Two, it's interesting hearing Keith Richards on the album taken out of the context of the Stones for one of the first times in his career, really. Keith as a session guy...
    Three, talking about Bowie's involvement earlier, I'm guessing these sessions where we he, like George Harrison, first encountered Willie Weeks and Andy Newmark, who would go on to play on Young Americans. And of course George got a lotta mileage out of that particular rhythm section himself...

Mother, The MEZ, jeffd7030 and 4 others like this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Awesome idea! I’ll post my reviews when I can!

Curious Breeze and ohnothimagen like this.
  15. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

The Bowie connection was circa Diamond Dogs where Ronnie plays on Bowies’s cover of Springsteen’s Growin’ Up (later added by Ryko as a bonus track on Pin-Ups). So makes sense that Bowie added vocals on Ronnie’s album.
    And of course as everyone knows Ronnie then played lead guitar on Rebel Rebel.

16. ohnothimagen

Good!

Paging @John Fell @Parachute Woman and any other Stones freaks I'm forgetting at the moment:laugh:

Well, that's news to me, I didn't know that!

Curious Breeze likes this.
  17. Dark Horse 77

Whaaaaaaaaat?

18. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

.. as often with Ronnie a beautiful and interesting sleeve...

19. ohnothimagen

I admit I was tempted to scarf up a UK copy for that custom inner sleeve not found in the North American pressings.

20. ohnothimagen

I'll just leave this here:

I think it sorta makes sense to discuss the "First Barbarians" shows alongside I've Got My Own Album To Do.

21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Thank you for the page! I missed seeing this thread and I would love to participate. Ronnie is one of the ultimate nice guys of rock and I'd love to discuss his VERY overlooked solo career. I'm going to give this album another listen this morning and be back ready to discuss the tracks. :)

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Gimme Some Neck" - Great album (better than many Stones albums...), but really bad sound quality (mastering? production?...)

stef1205 and ohnothimagen like this.
  23. ohnothimagen

Welcome aboard!
    It also occurs to me to put up a You Tube version of the album for those who've never heard the thing:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Chris:laugh: We've still got two more albums to discuss before we can rip Gimme Some Neck's sound quality to pieces...

24. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

25. ohnothimagen

Interesting. Bill's not on the album but obviously paid a visit to The Wick. He's playing a Hofner violin bass in that pic, that oughta piss off the Beatles/McCartney fanbois:laugh: