Happy Days (ABC tv show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Around season 5 the Fonzie character just kinda grew sad, kinda like the kid who leaves high school but never grows up and only talks about the past

Spaghettiows likes this.
  2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I do like watching the first two seasons from time to time - they really hold up. As a kid in the '70s this was must-see TV. Another great memory was watching it in syndication during summer vacation around 10am.

3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Maybe Happy Days changed so it would fit in with all the other ABC sitcoms of the late 70s. In order words, extremely silly and mostly terrible.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One thing I thought was awful is the almost complete disregard for anachronisms. They totally gave up on Laverne & Shirley, and constantly had characters with late-1970s/early-1980s hair styles. And don't get me started on Joanie Loves Chachi. I was told by a Paramount exec that Scott Baio steadfastly refused to change his hair style, so they just let it go. At least Fonzie greased his hair and Ron Howard kept his hair in somewhat of a '50s style (as much hair as he was holding on to). I used to laugh and say the best special effects on the show was the work done to conceal Howard's impending baldness -- they did a fantastic job.

somnar, bekayne, numer9 and 7 others like this.
  5. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

MASH wasn't any better in terms of historical accuracy, though at least that dates back to the movie where parallels with current events were intentionally drawn. Still, the 70s and 80s weren't a time when American TV and its consumers were particularly concerned with such matters. I think Roots is an example of trying but still not being sticklers. And really, it's only in the era of the internet and binge viewing that historical accuracy became something worth taking notice of.

somnar and lightbulb like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What happened to Chuck anyway?

Tanx, Jimmy B. and eddiel like this.
  7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Actually I should revise that. The Wonder Years, while maybe not absolutely perfect in regards to history, sustained the effort. I think it slipped a little in later seasons but it was never abandoned it. (I haven't seen all the episodes, especially the later ones, so feel free to correct me.)

somnar, lightbulb and Vidiot like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love this on Blu...

9. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Fonzie was a little ridiculous. If you're that much of a Lothario, why aren't you busy screwing women instead of hanging around high school kids?

Milner was the Fonzie character in Graffiti. I think that angle would have been less durable in a long running show than what they did with Fonzie.

10. The Fonz had to teach the lesson of the episode.

11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Was there any connection to Lords of Flatbush and Winkler getting the Fonzie role?

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

He looked just like The Fonz in both. :)

Grand_Ennui and Jack Lord like this.
  13. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I personally think Season 3 is the best of the whole lot, great gags and it had Pat Morita who I prefer to Al.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I really loved it as a kid. I never missed an episode. However much like The Dukes Of Hazard I struggle to watch it any more. As stated, first 2 seasons are the best. Later on the kind of abandoned that 50's look and clearly had 70's hairstyles with the exception of the Fonz.

willy likes this.
  15. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I was in junior high and high school when this show was hugely popular.

I never saw a single episode. Just seeing The Fonz, in commercials for the show, on posters, t shirts, anything you can imagine.. it was more than enough.

Finally many years later, I was home sick one day and finally saw a complete episode.

Yawn. I guess it was alright, taken out of historical (or maybe hysterical) context.

16. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Chachi's "style" just killed me. Even as a 6 year old I knew that no one wore puka shells in the '50s.

somnar, Grand_Ennui, bekayne and 2 others like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember watching one ep with some guys in college. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the part that stands out was Ritchie wants to go out with this new girl, meets her and without any preludes, sits down with her and starts making out with her. We all looked at each other and said 'Oh yea, that really works.'
    Even James at 15 had to work a little harder and nobody got more than he did.

Jack Lord, MikeInFla and kevywevy like this.
  18. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

James at 15/16 was awesome! I had not seen it in years and noticed that most of the episodes are on YouTube so I went back and watched what is on there. That was a good show.

Jack Lord likes this.
  19. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Ron Howard's overacting from Season 3 on really stumped me.
    He was perfect as Opie and equally good in American Graffitti.
    In the first 2 seasons of HD, he was great as a confused\sincere teenager.
    After that it was embarrassing and only got more so.

The audience would give an ovation to the most mediocre of lines like they were watching Olivier.

The Panda and Jimmy B. like this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. isolation can harm you terribly

He became quite different looking before he never existed

21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

LOL! Some years ago they had a Happy Days reunion on TV. Towards the end, Gary Marshall brought out both guys who had played Chuck.

somnar, MikeInFla and Jimmy B. like this.
  22. Jimmy B.

I liked the show very much as a kid; always watched it. But I didn't like it when Chachi was introduced, I could never stand him or his "wah-wah-wah"s ugh just thinking about it...
    I hated Ace, was that his name, or was that McGinley on the Love Boat? I can't remember....couldn't stand him...
    yeah the show was on waaaaaay too long.

I remember liking, in an early season, when the fat guy who is made fun of by Ralph and such has that dance with that girl....that was nice.

I also remember I liked, in a much later season, when Richie punched Fonzie! :D

I....cannot print Punk Magazine's parody review of the show, ha ha

23. Jimmy B.

*Ah, to clarify, I just enjoyed seeing Richie do it the first time I saw it (because "no one touches The FONZ") and I was only 16 when it aired;
    I just saw it now on you tube and even if Fonzie became the dictator of their little crowd (by season 3 or 4?),
    in this scene (season 11), Richie is a drunk grown man, and there's nothing funny about it at all.
    Pardon.

:hide:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'd stopped watching long before the nephew episodes, so I'd always wrongly assumed they brought him back when Richie left.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

He gets older, they stay the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.