Might sell up turntable front end and records.............any positive stories.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Linto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton Thread Starter

I'm lucky to have a great LP12 into a superb system, and I have literally every LP I've ever wanted, but I rarely if ever play records any more.

I've slowly ripped 1,000 CDs and have a reasonably big high rez librady, and a very good DAC.
    This isn't a format war thread, I think there is no best format, it's all down to the mastering.

My record player and records take up quite a lot of space in our small London house.
    I could sell up, get a better DAC and use the rest for something important.
    Anyone else done this recently? any regrets?

hellion and displayname like this.
  2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I haven't done it but I have seriously thought about it for some time now. I just can't persuade myself to do it.
    I have two state of the art turntables and almost 5000 records and a more than decent dac with probably 3000 cds. I have very few downloads at this point.
    Records sound great, can be very cheap, but they are high maintenance. I often get very frustrated by analogue. And I mean VERY.
    Cd/digital files on the other hand also sound great and they are more convenient. You hit play and you listen to music without having to worry about noise, off-center pressings, distortion, VTA adjustments, phonostage adjustments, cleaning them, cleaning your stylus, etc.
    So, it would be a good idea to sell everything and go exclusively digital, right?
    Here's the thing. If I sell my records and my analogue set-up it's going to be like I will be selling a big part of me, this is my life not just records and turntables that we are talking about.
    I have invested a lot of emotions on these records and turntables. I have never been emotionally connected with digital, period. Also I have plenty of space where I live so no problems with storage.

So, I see your point. But it is pointless to expect others to turn you into this or the other direction. You have to think it for yourself. Actually probably you don't even have to think. If you feel you that you don't need your records and your LP12 anymore, you will know. By asking for advice, it seems to me that you are not sure so, If I were you, I wouldn't do it.

3. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I'd keep the stuff until you're absolutely certain you'll never want it again. I sold off all my old gear I had growing up and regret it now.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you have every LP you ever wanted then keep them and a serious suggestion, without wanting to come across as Linn bashing, try and demo a different high end deck in your home, record decks have come on a long way since the LP12 ruled the flat earth and a different deck might rekindle your love of records, at the very least if you don't like how records sound on a different deck then just maybe it is time to say goodbye to them.

AidanB, GyroSE, kronning and 2 others like this.
  5. MacMan2007

MacMan2007 Forum Resident

Your final point is what has been in the back of my mind. Think how good the digital end could be if I sold off the analog and vinyl! I have moderate stuff (planar 3/Lounge - auralic Aries/emotive dc-1). Digital sounds really good now but sometimes a record sends chills . . . Could I get that with really high end digital?

6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

You might change your mind but if you are happy with that and space is at a premium what could be wrong? You can always buy again, although buying the gear would be relatively easy, re-buying the records could take you a lifetime.

caracallac likes this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Was in the same spot back in 05. We were planning a move and as I was boxing up my albums I realized how rarely I listened to records. While waiting for our house to be completed we spent a few months in an apartment. During that stay I sold off my records. I did keep a small collection of sentimental favorites which are still on display.

I didn't miss listening to records until I started hanging around this site. The itch got to me so about a year ago I bought a turntable and gave records another go. That lasted just a few months. I was never a lover of the ritual, and after all these years of easy-to-use digital, the ritual really bored me. One man's perspective.

As stated above, the choice is yours. I hope whatever decision you take is the right one for you.

Halloween_Jack, TimB, ggjjr and 3 others like this.
  8. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I would suggest you only sell off the albums you really don't care for first. Wait a while and see if you feel any regret. I made the mistake of selling off about 50% of my albums back in the 1990's and it's the single biggest regret in my life. I liked CD's for their convenience and lack of surface noise. Why did I need a duplicate copy of each album on vinyl? I came back to vinyl when I got a better system and discovered how good vinyl can sound. But there is a nostalgia aspect as well.

Who knows, maybe you'll never look back, but I suggest you don't burn your bridges. It will be very hard to replace your albums if you sell them now.

clhboa and Dubmart like this.
  9. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Do what the experts say: Box it up and put it away for a specified period of time (12 months? 18 months?). If you don't use it during that period, it is time to let it go. Fly, my pretties.

AidanB, Halloween_Jack, TimB and 5 others like this.
  10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I've done the Big Sell Off 3 Times in my life...

I currently have 4-5k LPs and 8 turntables in the house.
    And regrets. For the LPs I sold.

11. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

That's an interesting proposition. I have fun using vinyl and a TT that's what I grew up with back in 60's and 70's. But it would be a heckofalot more convenient to go digital;. If I didn't care about the nostalgia and I had 5,000 LP's in Mint/Near Mint/ Excellent condition and they were jazz genre (jazz goes for big $$$$), I don't what yours are or condition) I'd look into selling the collection and investing the money in high-end audio.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  12. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

So... a larger home is out of the question?

13. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Sold up and divested almost everything in 2010. Linn, Naim, Isobariks, 40K+ albums all gone.

Some things I still miss, occasionally, but not that much. A chromebook and wi-fi is a much bigger collection, and I don't fret on the cost (how many copies of The Beatles do I need anyway?). The availability of obscure psych and prog is better than in record stores as well.

14. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Here’s a thought. Not that I had a really huge collection, but earlier this year I sold a bunch of vinyl and have decided to focus on quality, not quantity. My definition of quality for this purpose is records that are in great condition, and (when applicable) are desirable pressings, but only of titles that I really love. That last part is the hardest to reconcile but certainly not impossible.

Lemon Curry, punkmusick and timind like this.
  15. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I understand selling some if you’re in a pinch for money.

But why not be that guy that gives them to some kid, and they absolutely lose their minds over it?

Then if you’re really over it, you won’t have to ask for them back, and you’ll be a hero.

Once you sell them, you’re kind of going cheap on yourself.

That’s a lot of work just to cash in at the end of your life. Even sadder if you’re young.

At least pass it on to someone that isn’t going to slide that one rare record, that was your favorite to put on during parties, onto a shelf to never really be played again.

Maybe you should throw a party with buddies you haven’t seen in awhile. And go Animal House on that thing.

I have no idea.

16. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Was also going to suggest boxing it all up for a year or two, see if you get any aching pangs of loss and regret on one hand or a sense of liberty on the other.

Have you been able to hear any DACs that really give you a fizzy feeling and could fill the void? Could be worth it.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Keep it all. Selling records is a pain

AidanB, TimB, SandAndGlass and 2 others like this.
  18. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Also, recently had a period of months without the main hifi (post-flood renovations). Much as I enjoy my digital front end (which I'd take over some previous analogue front ends I've had), the 'fix' I found missing most was feeling from some of my favourite records. I'd personally find it very hard to let that go; at least a core of them.

What I am doing though is whittling down the collection. It's not that big, but ones I don't play or enjoy are still a waste of space.

timind and Linto like this.
  19. Linto

LP12 bashers eh? they just can't leave it alone
    when did you last hear a new, current spec LP12 properly dem'd. ? I used to work for high end dealer, could have got SME, Michell, Well Tempered etc REALLY cheap, my LP12/Ekos2/Cirkus/Lyra Clavis DC/Lingo/Linto on Mana Phase III, played music better than them, simple as that.

Unless I win the lottery, and move house to a mansion, I would never upgrade my Turntable. Let's end this here.

For the other replies, thanks, the emotional input, memories and stories behind some of the records is a big factor.
    EG took me 20 years to find a good copy of My Generation on Brunswick.

Another factor, due to playing in bands, my hearing is bad and getting worse, 1 side has big dip in volume, I hear 13k max on both ears, so I am
    probably only hearing 80% of what my "rubbish old turntable" can produce.

20. Linto

@Shiver , that's a good idea, all I need to somewhere to store 2000 records!
    I have sold about 200 I don't play and have more for sale (timkt66 on discogs), and If I keep the record player I'd like to get it down to less an 1,000.

Shiver likes this.
  21. Linto

Cash is not an issue, space is. I have given away over 100 LPs to friends starting to get into records.
    I have another 200/300 that aren't worth selling online, I may give those away too

22. Linto

I am currently selling lots with a view to keep only the good ones, leaving less than 1k. My Beatles and Stones LPs on their own add upto 150+ , really not easy.
    I have 16 different Revolvers, and 8 mono y&b With the Beatles, choosing which to sell, in detail, would take the rest of my life!
    However even the good ones don't get played any more.

23. timind

timind phorum rezident

That might be the main reason I sold mine off. I had no interest as a "collector" the way you have. My albums were all for listening, and since that wasn't happening, they were basically wasting away.

I sold at the beginning of the "vinyl" craze when mint condition used albums were going for $3-5. Auctioned them in lots of 8-12 albums at a time with a low start price and no reserve on Audiogon. I hope they're being listened to now.

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you don't want to play it then it's not doing what it's supposed to surely, a record deck should make you want want to play records, not put you off, just my opinion and that applies to all decks, not just Linns.

GyroSE and Fishoutofwater like this.
  25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The only way I can relate to your post is thinking about the (fortunately very few) records I sold back in the 90's to buy their CD counterparts. I regret every single one of those sales. Fortunately, I could buy all those titles again over the years, at least the ones I still care for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.