The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I noticed that yesterday but then convinced myself I remembered wrong that they sing there, since I haven't listened to the song in eons...huh

Jman92 and Dahabenzapple like this.
  2. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Haha I had a similar thought progression. But they always sing that last line after the solo. On all the versions I've heard anyway. Sometimes it's better timed than others. In this case though absolutely nobody even attempts to sing. Makes me wonder if it was planned or not.

bzfgt likes this.
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Working my way through Buffalo (05/09/77) again and, hot dog, what a show. Not new to me of course, but I'd forgotten how killer the first set is, in particular.

I mean, c'mon, I count no less than four songs that are Top 5 versions in my book ("Help > Slip > Frank", "Cassidy", "Big River" and "TMNS"). In one first set. That's incredible. Toss in another Top 5 version of "Ship of Fools" and you know it's a good night.

Looking forward to the meat of set two on the way home tonight.

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I find it odd that they missed the vocals, as they nail the return perfectly with no obvious musical cues (although some signalling may have been going on).

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The "Sunrise" is probably the best ever, too (not that I feel like comparing too many other versions to be sure).

Mansley, Crispy Rob, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

15 January 1979- Springfield. They blow off the final vocal here as well.

7. GuidedByJonO)))

Hah, I was almost going to include that in my list, but it felt kinda disingenuous since I'm not really a huge fan of that song anyway. But that version is definitely not too bad.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

To clarify - I meant I liked the Grateful Dead's Corinna (I mean, in that I don't dislike it strongly the way a lot of people do, but not that I like it in terms of I think its great like Victim or the Crime,) and I don't like Corinna, Corinna (which is a different song,) no matter who does it. (Though again, I don't feel that strongly about it, I just was beaten over the head with it c. 1994-95.)

Anyway I meant to mention I was surprised to read that there was some backlash against the cover of Go to Heaven when it came out because people thought it was selling out or the band gone disco or what have you. I can't see how anyone took it seriously.

I haven't heard the version in question, but I am certain some performances from 78 would give it a run. I think the solo at the end is helped out tremendously by Wolf. (Which is pretty much all there is to the song.)

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

They don't sing at the end on 4/24/78 either (nor do they stick the landing as smoothly). Maybe it is standard within a certain time frame...

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just remembered we have only few days until the Anniversary Anthem :)

11. GuidedByJonO)))

And shouldn't we be seeing a Dave's 27 announcement any day now?

Meet Up at the Movies in a few weeks.

Also the PNW box in September.

Tangentially related, but also a new Circles Around the Sun record in August. Killer time of year.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I have no idea of this! Really nice!

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I would add "Comes a Time" to that list as well.

14. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Listening to Europe '72, the lp set that cemented my resolve to "go to a GD concert" ! .. little did I know .. :laugh:

Sometimes it feels like those shows all happened in a different lifetime than the one I'm in right now. This album is the one that imprinted on my grey matter, turning it to endless hues of impossible colour, like the universe .. the verse that unifies
    the oscillation of existence, evolving into labyrinthine design.

15. US Blues

6 May 1978- Vermont. Best Sunrise. As the erudite scholar @ianuaditis notes above, the addition of The Wolf improves everything.

16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

You cannot change your avatar. Please change it back:(

scribbs, wavethatflag, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  17. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Ok so that makes at least two other known versions where they blow off the last verse (including 1/15/79 as mentioned upthread). I may look into this further. I love these strange little treasure hunts that this band always seems to provide me.

18. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Thanks for posting this! Amazing set - I had to go download it from Wolfgang’s. Side note: the stream on Wolfgang’s excludes “Dancing In the Street,” but the download includes it.

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. FrasierNervosa

FrasierNervosa Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I have absolutely fallen in love with the jazzy sound of '75 Dead. There's something about it I just can't put my finger on. I know they only played 4 shows during this period (Lindley Meadows is great, and the American Music Hall/One From the Vault is just incredible; the whole of the first side Intro->Help->Slip->Frank->Music Never Stopped may be my favorite opening to a first set ever).

What's the next step for more of this kind of Dead sound? Shame much of this record never carried over into later shows.

adamos, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

They likely found it later in the show during that descent into purgatory between Miracle and Shakedown and thought "Ah, that's where we left it." As they ascended back to the Human Realm, they announced its rediscovery with a massive Dmin chord, which vibrates in accordance with the Sensuous World (kama-loka).

3/23/75 (Kezar Stadium) is it. Bonus disc for Band Beyond Description. Certainly much of '73 and '74 second set jams should come close to this, although obviously Help--> Slip--> etc. won't be there yet.

Mansley, Crispy Rob, Rne and 5 others like this.
  21. US Blues

It seemed to be all the rage of late. This is a painting my sister got for me in Bali, the photo does not do it justice, it's totally psychedelic.

KeninDC, adamos, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

How can a Deadhead not love a team with a star named Trippier?

notesofachord, JBOO, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  23. US Blues

We're missing our bass player, Phil. He was last seen consorting with a couple of aliens. If you see our bass player won't you please send him home.

~ Bobby; 15 January 1979, prior to set II.

Mansley, adamos, nitsuj and 2 others like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Well, I bit the bullet last week and finally bought Dave’s 10 off of eBay for more than I really wanted to pay but at least now I can listen to it and enjoy it. As I feared, however, it ended up serving as a gateway drug that has led me to even harder drugs (i.e. ordering the complete ‘69 Fillmore West box today).

25. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Whoa there cowboy!!! How much for FW? I'm not ready to cross that threshold just yet...but I could be tempted!!!

dzhason and ianuaditis like this.