Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Yeah I probably should have just left it as (in very small quantities) and left out the rest, as the rest of the sentence I wrote brings up a whole different conversation/discussion). Yes the record companies wanted to kill the physical single due to greed, but they also were artificially raising the prices of CD singles to discourage sales of them and help sales of the full album - that is of course when they weren't deeply discounting the price on certain CD singles to encourage their sales to help "buy" a chart position (pre 1998) when physical sales of singles was still necessary to qualify for the charts).

By the time Billboard removed the physical single requirement, they may as well have anyway since record companies had pretty much perfected their myriad of schemes to get around the rules. But that's a different conversation - and enough to fill a book probably.

Yes I do remember walking into a Record (well by that point CD & Cassette) Store a couple or three times (circa 1994-96 or therabouts looking to buy a single of an artist for whom I'd have no interest in purchasing a full album and been told just that. First they'd say "We don't have it" and I'd say "Why? It is a super popular song right now - has it sold out?" They'd say "Let me check on the computer. Oh it doesn't look like its out as a single". I stopped bothering to enquire about singles shortly after that, partly because I was moving away from radio listening anyway, but more so because I was beginning to understand the point of what the record companies were doing.

So CD Singles didnt sell both because many werent released or were released in very small quantities - and because people got used to them not being available (or quickly sold out - or their local no longer stocking them) and just gave up on them, so the ones that did come out would not sell as well. so the record company could say "Hey we're moving away from singles because they're not selling well anymore" leaving out the fact that they're (the record companies) the reason singles are not selling well - since they've been the ones actively suppressing them/their visibility in the marketplace.

Something of a parallel in the modern day is:

Why are CD sales slipping so much?
    In part because of lack of places to buy them (record stores)
    Why are there so few record stores?
    Because no-one buys CDs anymore

(looks for the emoticon for blowing one's own brains out)
    '
    Anyway after realizing what the record companies were doing (actively suppressing/killing the CD Single format in North America) I let my limited interest in CD Singles dwindle down to my once yearly trips to Toronto to hit as many record stores as possible with a massive wad of saved up cash and pick up (among many other things) some of those imported UK CD Singles with exclusive non-album B-Sides released by some of my favourite (completist) bands.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Who are Drake? Seriously, I've never heard of them.

3. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

XXXTentacion only reached #1 on the Hot 100 once and only the week after he was shot to death. He had his most successful album and single released just 3 months before his death so he was still fresh in the memory of those who listened to that kind of music so when he was killed his music shot back up momentarily. Prior to his death his best chart position on the Hot 100 was #7, his chart success is still much less than Katy and Gaga.

Post Malone is more significant, but he really only blew up in the last year with Rockstar, and male artists seem to have a lower profile in the media in general. His first year or two are comparable to Katy Perry's, but it remains to be seen if he's going to be able to continue having the same level of success on the Hot 100 with his remaining singles from his latest album. My guess is probably not, he'll probably have a career trajectory closer to Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber than Gaga or Katy.

Total Hot 100 points as a lead artist using Jimmy's Charts

Katy Perry: 49,567
    Lady Gaga: 35,880
    Post Malone: 19,322
    XXXtentacion: 4,926 (3626 before death)

Drake has surpassed Katy and Gaga's level of success on the charts, but he's the only one of the currently popular rappers to have done so, and he's been at it for a decade now.

4. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Comparing apples to oranges

e.s. likes this.
  5. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I only came here just to see Beatles fans spontaneously combust. I’ll be over here with the popcorn. I take mine with lots of butter.

Ed

6. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

I am hearing they may change the 100 and make a streaming chart because the Hot 100 looks ridiculous due to streaming.

Non singles are even in the top 20...getting out of hand. I cant even tell what the real radio play is because of the overcrowding of the hip hop fan base free streaming being counted over actual airplay. Something will change.

7. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

Most of the rap/hip hop streams are from paid subscribers. Drake got over half of his streams from Apple Music which is 100% paid subscribers. As for Spotify, it has a fair bit of free accounts but the paid accounts tend to stream more so over half of the Spotify streams are from paying users too.

If you want to see the most popular songs on radio, you can use Billboard's radio songs charts, and if you want to see the spins and audience numbers, kworb is pretty good.
    Daily US Radio Updates

8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I am not one of those who says all rap sucks, but I have listened to some Drake and I just don't get him at all. Seems very ordinary and forgettable to me.
    What is the appeal?

9. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Drake's impact is 10 miles wide and one millimeter deep.

The depth of The Beatles impact in '63 and '64 is in no danger of being eclipsed, regardless of what Billboard's charts may infer.

apesfan likes this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

*imply

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Were Paul and Ringo concerned when they heard the news so you’re trying to make them feel better? Or are you trying to make yourself feel better because time has brought change and you can’t handle it?

SITKOL'76, Nostaljack and Raf like this.
  12. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

I envy you for not knowing who he is or for possibly never hearing his "music"...avoid it all costs. (Relax Drake lovers, I'm just bustin' ya'!!)

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Rihanna who?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

We ARE talking about Pete Drake, master of the steel guitar, right?

“The only Drake that matters”

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    DHamilton, dalem5467 and limoges like this.
  15. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

** Thread sponsored by TENA Incontinence Pads **

Osato and aoxomoxoa like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

17. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I know you're trying to come off as cool, but it's just sad.

Memph, SITKOL'76, e.s. and 4 others like this.
  18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

What's your opinion of The Weeknd?

19. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

A quick visit to Google would tell you who he is, though I'm fairly certain you're intentionally avoiding it. You likely know anyway and are just trying to be cute.

Can someone pass the malted milk balls please?

Ed

Gaslight likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Even if all of them made it into the Top 20, which is debatable, how long would "Little Child" stay there? Or "Don't Bother Me"? (assuming we're taking about MTB here btw).

Seriously, it's hard to take off the fan hat sometimes but not every person out there knows, or cares, about every Beatles track in existence.

SITKOL'76, e.s. and Black Magic Woman like this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Still haven't figured out how it's considered cool, on a music forum, to purposely be unaware of a music artist. Especially if the artist in question is on your radar enough to post in a thread about him/her.

Btw, I'm not a fan of Drake. But I did sample his album when it came out (wasn't for me).

Osato and Raf like this.
  22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Aren’t radio plays counted ? Like they know how many times “Yesterday” has been played on the radio since it was released.

Can someone work out how many radio plays and sales it had upon release, say in the USA and then work out how it would fair under current chart methods based on that info ?

Obviously we wouldn’t have stream info but I’d still be interested.

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Go to the members' "post a picture of yourself" thread. I am far from cute.

24. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Neither... now move along please...

25. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

This just in from Drake:
    "Well, that fact was originally pointed in reference to America. That I mean more to kids than the Beatles do, or their music at this time. I wasn't knocking them or putting them down. It was just said as a fact and it's true more for America than England. It's not saying that I'm better or greater, or comparing myself with the Beatles as a group or John, Paul, George, and Ringo as people or whatever they are. What was said was just said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.